• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by snafu View Post
    yeh im not keen on the over dramatic over worked images i see in their choices, less is most often more. Many of their images lack a rawness or purity and seem to be almost showing off their technicality. Fade i really love this subway series your doing, by far the best thing you have done IMO, keep shooting and your are bound to capture some really beautiful images that are seriously strong. I like the honest and the somewhat akward compositions, it reminds me of you almost looking down and seeing a glimpse into a coversation, like eavesdropping. Keep shooting is what im saying, you have come on so much since the phone images you were shooting. Il post a few pics from travels soon in here.
    yup

I actually entered a few shots into the general category (winners are here):

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• lost53
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
      the thing is, i look at that PDN/Prophoto genre, then I look at photos by the likes of Robert Frank, Lee Friedlander, Daido moriyama, william eggleston, nobuyoshi araki, walker evans etc etc all the 'senior/deceased' generation, what kills me about the former category which seems to dominate photography today is - even though the shots may contain people, are of people in heroic/devastating cirumstances, or just photos of abject/devastating circumstances in general, there is not an iota of a human element I detect in those images, not to my eye at least, not at all. almost 10 times out of 10 that 'photograph' was made by a computer, not a hand and eye with natural God-given imperfections.
      I think post production aside, the photographers you mention are all"Artists". There are many people that are photographers, and make reasonable images. But they are far from being artists.... And also there are many people whom take photographs but are not photographers.. I know this sounds anal, but since the advent of digital every fucker with a 5d or whatever is now a photographer.. give em a 5x4 and a box of sheet film.... and then see what they come up with!!

Comment

• endersgame
        • Aug 2009

the choices in general looked borderline commerce. most people don't really take pictures like that- for mass consumption.. where all the indigenous people are all smiles and tough looking... it's like they are waiting to be licensed or published in an ad for some tourism board. they are still good pics, but they should be entered in Communication Arts annuals..

yeah, FTB, those old guys never did it for the money..

lowrey, that third hk pic looks great..
        Last edited by endersgame; 04-28-2011, 08:40 AM.

Comment

• Fade to Black
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by lowrey View Post

(winners are here):
          the only ones i liked were the grand prize and the first runner up (two women at shooting range)
          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Fade to Black
            • Sep 2008

www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Fade to Black
              • Sep 2008

dig the Francis Bacon lookalike on the left -

www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Fade to Black
                • Sep 2008

gave the Portra VC 160 a try today

www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• K.T.
                  • Jan 2011

lowrey: don't know why, it took me quite a while to figure out the whereabouts in the 3rd photo, probably coz more often than not the road shown is a lot busier, thus I was missing the clue...

I actually like the second photo a lot. Maybe a bit personal but seeing how you capture the mood by subtly mixing different elements here: the high rises in the background, the old buildings in the foreground and in the midst of all, that person in the middle, who has had a hard day's life and just finished work.... There's no melancholy here, and this is life. You don't know how much it strikes a chord with many who lead similar lives in this place.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                    • Sep 2008

www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• endersgame
                      • Aug 2009

ftb, i usually stick with NC. VC or UC destroys skin tones. i don't know what it stands for. vibrant color, ultra color? very contrasty?

but your scans lack contrast. the blacks need to be denser. the overall yellow cast removed, but that's the thing with color negs, it's whatever color you want..

here's an old tutorial on scanning negs as positives and adjusting individual channels. it's quick and dirty but should still work well..

Comment

• Fade to Black
                        • Sep 2008

i believe it's vivid color. but yeah they are scanned by the shop. i should adjust the tones myself. dont know whats up with the yellow cast thats there from time to time
                        www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Fade to Black
                          • Sep 2008

www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Fade to Black
                            • Sep 2008

www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Fade to Black
                              • Sep 2008

back to film...homage to Lee Friedlander:

www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• david s
                                • Jul 2010

wow, lots of activity here since I was on vacation.

will post some edits from my photo shoot this weekend, going to be doing portrait sitting for a politician... should be interesting.

it will be my 200th post!

@FTB : you should check out the Chris Marker's work here, it's a subway series, I like some of the work you've done in that vein
                                It's absolutely Hedious!
                                shy poser

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎