Clear All
  • Cookie_Monster
    • Jan 2011

I am a database administrator.

Boring, yes I know.

Comment

• egoody
      • May 2012

I play music to (mostly) teenagers/young adults around the earth for about 6 months out of the year. In between I look for supplemental income here and there.
      It's the only thing I know I'm good at, so Ill just keep at it until the band wants me no longer or there's no more upward slope.

Comment

• schemedream
        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
        It pays the bills and is only boring and painful 33% of the time.
        That's not too bad of percentage for the pay off. Big ups.

Comment

• Verdandi
          • Mar 2012

I did the six years and three months they require in med school here. I am currently in my last year of residency and will do additional training to become a certified forensic psychiatrist afterwards.

My job is challenging and keeps me interested. I don't always like it but I can't really imagine doing anything else.
          lavender menace

Comment

• sam_tem
            • Apr 2007

man, a lot of you guys sound way too ambitious.

i'm a subsea plumber/installation engineer in oil & gas. stable job with a great work/life balance and get some good opportunities to sail the seas and watch ROVs do all the hard work on big screen tv's...can't complain much.

had a good opportunity to move to Paris recently and work on designing large installation vessels, but my skinny bones gotta stay in the warm weather. not sure how one transitions from a life of convenience in houston to the hustle and bustle of an actual big city and definitely not too interested on finding out right now. would be nice to actually give my closet a good workout for once and put some of my jackets to good use, but oh well, there's always another day.

perhaps a long shot, but any other energy folks here?

Comment

• Muzuen
              • May 2012

Figure i'd make this my first post as an extended introduction.

I'm currently in my second year in the Bachelor of Fine Arts Animation program in Toronto. My long term plans are to work in a major gaming or film studio as a concept artist. I dislike the actual animation aspect but take draftsmanship, figurative drawing, traditional and digital painting more seriously as these are more beneficial to my goals. I've been studying artists such as Frank Frazetta, John Singer Sargent, Robert Liberace, and many others.

I've been dancing competitively as a popper(hopefully there will be few who recognize this street dance style) for several years and am part of a toronto-based crew called "Groovinati". I've learned a few other styles such as bboying, locking, house, and hiphop as well and learned from some of the most credible dancers from around the globe.

Although I am a student, I am also working part time making pizza at dominoes. Prior to that, I've been working as a line cook at various bar and grill restaurants since highschool.

I hope I can meet SZers that are also dancers! The likes of bboys, and other dancers that stay true to the elements of hiphop.. not a big fan of choreography. I'm sure I'm not the only one here hehe...

Comment

• sixledge
                • Dec 2011

I built and manage an eCommerce store.

Comment

• Atmosphere
                  • Jan 2010

I study law at Stockholm University. Public international law is the legal field that interests me the most, although I guess the big $$ is earned in business law...

Comment

• inconduit
                    • Jun 2009

i write software for video post production industry to pay the bills. my main art practice has been photography for many years, a mix of documentary/contemporary at http://inconduit.com . i do a lot of street installation work as well. lastly, but more prominently in the past two years, i dance.

Comment

• darkbydesign
                      • Sep 2010

I'm a Professor of Medicine focusing on Genetics/Genomics at a hospital/academic appointment in NYC. Recently left San Francisco after working there for 5 years at a biotech-start up, after my PhD.

Currently, I work on research creating better methods to target and sequence DNA to facilitate rapid and cheap detection of genetic and epigenetic mutations to gain a better understanding of rare diseases, cancer, viruses, and microbes that impact everything from humans to shrimp. Also work on some entrepreneurial projects.

In between, I DJ'd around the world, back when people still used vinyl, went to illegal raves and listened to speed garage, jungle, and hard-house; but now at 33, I spend my time dancing at, instead of spinning at, parties.......

Comment

• Muzuen
                        • May 2012

Originally posted by Trouble
                        Hey man, I'm in Vancouver and I've been breaking for about 3 years now... Toronto definitely has a bigger scene than over here, heard all about it from a bboy I got to know last summer who was visiting from Toronto. Maybe if I end up going to school over there you might be able to show me around some day. Cheers
                        Toronto's bboying scene is pretty big indeed. And our street dance scene has grown a lot in recent years. I know a few poppers in Vancouver and wish to fly down there one day! Might just happen this summer for this battle event called, "Battlezone" Are you familiar with the Heavy Hittaz or Groovy Gentlemen? I know a few vancity dancers who are currently here for school.. I'll be sure to introduce you to the community if you end up coming here for school or even just to visit.

Comment

• lionlimb
                          • Feb 2013

Got a free degree in a weird honors department called "Great Texts of Western Civilization"... essentially an impractical but lovely philosophy degree.

Worked as an indie album critic for a while; I was successful but it was terrible for me personally. I really don't need to intentionally spend MORE time being critical

Moved back to my tiny hometown so I can chill with my 92 year old badass grandmother while she's still around.

I earn my keep with floral design:

As well as ranch work, and caring for special needs / aggressive dogs.

At the moment, I'm getting a few bits and bobs published, but not really pushing it.

I may go for my doctorate in a few years and re-enter the circle-jerk of academia, but for now I'm happy with the quiet life.
                          Last edited by lionlimb; 02-21-2013, 08:34 PM.
                          not baller

Comment

• fncyths
                            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by lionlimb View Post
                            but for now I'm happy with the quiet life.
                            I love the quiet life in texas

This is beautiful btw
                            Originally posted by Shucks
                            it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                            Originally posted by interest1
                            I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• lionlimb
                              • Feb 2013

Aw, thanks!

Planning a road trip to Marfa soon, love the place.
                              not baller

Comment

• Chinorlz
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Muzuen View Post
                                Toronto's bboying scene is pretty big indeed. And our street dance scene has grown a lot in recent years. I know a few poppers in Vancouver and wish to fly down there one day! Might just happen this summer for this battle event called, "Battlezone" Are you familiar with the Heavy Hittaz or Groovy Gentlemen? I know a few vancity dancers who are currently here for school.. I'll be sure to introduce you to the community if you end up coming here for school or even just to visit.
                                Sweet, more dancers!

I used to be deeper in the bboy scene but other aspects of life have taken over and forced me to backburner dancing. Competed from the age of 18 to my late 20s. My crew is still mostly in Boston/NYC (Florox Crew) and we have members that are also in Floor Obsessions and others. Those were the days man....
                                www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎