X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philip nod
    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
    Just took a quick break from my work to watch the financial news for a bit, was suddenly hit with the urge to write the following mini-essay...

The sheep in a herd vs. The lone wolf on a mountain

The recent chaos that has affected the stock markets, triggering a sensory overload of commentary, panic, analysis and scrutiny has provided me some interesting insights into human psychology, and has made me realize that across the board, some traits are universal.

I am not too familiar with markets, nor do I have much interest in them, but from a casual observation of how those around me have reacted and lived in the past month, I can draw a similar parallel to a personal experience.

About 4 years ago, towards the end of my freshman year of college at the University of Michigan, I began developing an interest in aesthetics, particularly that of the world of high fashion and personal style. In order to better educate myself in this field, I began on what was a pretty interesting journey that has taken up the better part of my spare time until recently. I participated in a variety of online fashion forums, each one a distinct community with a tone and flair that was different from the next. As social beings, us humans naturally gravitate towards those that we admire, those in whom we see traits familiar to our own or perhaps characteristics we look up to and would like to emulate. It is natural for people to desire the acceptance and validation from such groups in which we voluntarily immerse ourselves, so that we can be considered a part of the action and hopefully grow and benefit from this engagement.

As I came to participate more and more actively in these online forums, I had gotten to a point where I felt comfortable developing a vision and identity of my own, one that often clashed with that of the majority participating within these clusters of communication. One reason why I do not think it is particularly healthy or beneficial for someone trying to 'find' themselves to do so through such a medium, let alone one based around an interest as superficial as clothing, is because often times, within communities where the same members congregate and interact, there begins to form a sort of social hierarchy. People who manage to assert themselves as dominant in these groups can sway the masses to lean a certain way, and as a result those on the middle are easily subjected to substituting tribal groupthink for their own intelligence and opinion in order to receive approval. This is not singular to an online forum. It is the same thing we see in political spheres, large corporations, or even real life social circles. It is this distinction of 'noise' versus self-assurance that dictates people into two kinds. One can absorb all the signals around them to the point they are lost in the shuffle; it takes a strong personality to distinguish oneself from the herd which they sought to be a part of in the first place. Repercussions are obviously greater in those which have a larger stake in our personal interest, such as our jobs or our schools. Luckily, participation in online forums could be maneuvered in and out with the single click of a mouse with (hopefully) not much bearing on our own self worth and social standing.

Going back to the financial crisis of the markets of 2008, I came to observe and understand a phenomenon that moved people left and right, up and down, driving them mad and bouncing off the walls. It was not so much a matter of the markets themselves, but rather it was a reflection of the psychology of the people participating in them. Markets, much like online forums, are a sort of social human interaction, but just of a different nature. Obviously, the number of people participating in the stock market are of a much higher number than those in a forum, therefore it is much harder to distinguish the standing of those next to us in the market, where standing may be measured by the performance of one's investment decisions. We have economic and financial commentators and strategists employed by large banks and government to give 24-hour, 7-day-a-week live analysis on what is going on by the minute, and it is easy to see the trap that lies in this assertion of knowledge and certainty. For a minute shareholder, who perhaps put their life savings away in companies that they are banking their future, their retirement, their childrens' growth etc. on, it is perhaps comfortable to listen to someone who is apparently in a position designated to provide some sense of authority on these issues. Yet the nature of markets, much like the leanings of the fashion industry, sway to and fro in a manner that seems uniform, but is in fact very much random and beyond the control of anyone. The self-professed media fashion guru is no more an expert on her subject than the investment bank research director who predicts that object A is going to move in direction B, and that it is most certain this will happen. If it does happen, then perhaps it is a triumph of one's psychology managing to assert itself into the psyche of the majority to go in that same direction. The larger the pool, the higher the frequency of noise and randomly fluctuating molecules, and the more variance in directions taken.

In conclusion, I've come to find that in any situation, it is always best to observe rather than participate. Now I am not advocating inaction over action. Action should always be taken, but never taken dependent on the validation of an outside agent, at least not directly. To throw yourself into the endless stream of comments, arguments, debate and analysis is basically to jump into the lion's den wearing a necklace of fresh lamb meat; you will get chewed up and spit back out barely resembling what you thought you did when you first started. To maintain a sense of knowledge and awareness to what everyone else is doing is critical, but only as a tool to gauge and time your next move, instead of letting others' words shape your own beliefs and identity. If anything, when seeing that many people are doing a certain thing, it is probably in your best interest to do the exact opposite. When people start going in your direction, that's a signal to pack your bags and move on. We may not be able to exist completely independent of the world around us; but it is very much possible to calmly and smartly live in our surroundings without having to be drowned out by the noise.
    the best part about this is is the signature at the end
    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Servo2000
      • Oct 2006

I rather like to drown in the noise. The struggle is life.
      WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• philip nod
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Servo2000 View Post
        welcome to the IRS.

sometimes the times is way too foul

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/29/nyregion/29irs.html?hp

Comment

• kira
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
          welcome to the IRS.

sometimes the times is way too foul

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/29/nyregion/29irs.html?hp
          an IRS job fair...so appropriate.
          Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• ddohnggo
            • Oct 2006

found out my mom voted obama. YES. dad voted mccain. BOO.
            Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• philip nod
              • Aug 2007

ha same w me

Comment

• Fade to Black
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Servo2000 View Post
                fair enough, and well put.

we're born into the jungle, maybe there is a point to it that no matter how far we run away, we are still in the jungle.
                www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• DHC
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by ddohnggo View Post
                  found out my mom voted obama. YES. dad voted mccain. BOO.
                  Haha! I think my dad voted McCain too. What the shit?
                  Originally posted by Faust
                  fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                    fair enough, and well put.

we're born into the jungle, maybe there is a point to it that no matter how far we run away, we are still in the jungle.
                    You know I had to...

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ddohnggo
                      • Oct 2006

Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by DHC View Post
                        Haha! I think my dad voted McCain too. What the shit?
                        Hehehe, my dad went mccain as well. Are Asian fathers predisposed to being repub? I take pleasure in telling him that my brother and I voted Obama to cancel his vote out plus one :)

He then frowns.
                        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• kira
                          • Mar 2008

/\ my entire family is going to vote for McCain... we joke that I am the adopted child.
                          Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by kira View Post
                            /\ my entire family is going to vote for McCain... we joke that I am the adopted child.
                            You are kidding. BTW, did you read the article about Ohio in the New Yorker a few weeks ago? I can give it to you.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by kira View Post
                              you actually might be, its worth taking a blood test.

Comment

• philip nod
                                • Aug 2007

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎