Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • endersgame
    • Aug 2009

wet plate photography requires a darkroom on-site. which means you can't go very far with this stuff. after it's exposed, you must develop it within 5 minutes..

the wet plate process requires pouring collodion on to a glass plate or tin plate blackened on one-side. (collodion is gun cotton dissolved in ether and mixed with bromide.) when you do this, it's like pouring oil onto a dinner plate and covering every surface of it evenly.

a minute or two later, the collodion will congeal like jello. now you sensitize it with silver nitrate in a lightproof box. after a few minutes, remove the plate and place it in a plate holder. this is like a film cartridge for the camera. because the plate is light sensitive, the loading must be done in a darkroom. red light does not affect the plate.

once loaded, you place the wet plate back in to a camera and make your exposure. wet plate light sensitivity is very low so exposures can take several seconds in sunlight. several minutes in low light..

after the exposure, remove the back and remove the plate in a darkroom. develop by inspection. you will see the image appear-then fix it in water.

after the plate is developed, you wash and dry it.

once it's dried, you heat the plate over an oil lamp. then pour varnish on the plate exactly like how collodion was poured on before. the varnish is scented with lavender oil and it smells amazing when you do this. the varnish acts like a seal and makes the surface glossy.

that's rundown to make tintypes or ferrotypes. these make positive one-of-a-kind images.

ambrotypes are the same thing with black glass.

glass plate negatives use the same process but the plates are clear and it produces a negative for printing on paper. traditionally, you print on albumen paper made from rancid egg whites. making this paper is a total pain in the ass.

so yeah, it's really not that hard..

no i didn't make my camera. i have a back that is modified to take wet plates. you can adapt some old film holders to do this. you can even take a broken polaroid camera and make it a wet plate camera.

i don't really know how to make complicated cameras with shutters and electronics. but making pinhole and view cameras isn't too hard..

Comment

• galia
      • Jun 2009

Thanks for taking the time to type this, it's very interesting.

I want to make a pinhole camera, because I am a hipster and loved the images tthe infamous skull camera took
      If they are fairly easy to make and use, I might give it a try. Would have to find a tutorial first though

Comment

• endersgame
        • Aug 2009

hipsters like holgas. i just gave my holga away to a friend...
        the negatives are big enough to make contact prints like this..

cyanotype from coney island..
        these are much easier to print. you just buy a cyanotype kit, some fine art paper, a piece of non-uv glass, and the sun..

Comment

• wow!!!

Comment

• Tumnus Truck-Tour
            Banned
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Heirloom View Post
            wow!!!

Comment

• snafu
              • Apr 2008

great stuff TB

Comment

• i think your cover of "Dream On" is hilarious. You should have your own tv show! the best thing is your talent shines through

edit: I keep watching them. HAHAHA. you're gold!
                Last edited by Guest; 12-08-2009, 07:13 PM.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                  • May 2008

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

That's just amazing. Did you do the music? William Forsythe is on of my heroes...

The rest is impressive, for various reasons, Dream On will never sound the same to me.
                  Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• yes, that video had me in absolute awe!!! very autechre.

Comment

• casem
                      • Sep 2006

Love your videos TB, I am in awe of your creativity/strangeness!
                      music

Comment

• unujnha
                        • Sep 2008

"Man is certainly crazy. He could not make a mite, and he makes gods by the dozen."

Comment

• black horizons
                          • Jan 2008

^what is that for? It looks like it would make for a really good album art... I like the smoke and hair fading together. It would screenprint easily too.
                          www.black-horizons.com

Comment

• jcotteri
                            • Jun 2008

love the music thomas
                            WTB: This

Comment

• Farkhanyassin
                              • Jan 2010

It's an iPhone case. Took me awhile to do this but I'm happy with the result. I bought the Swarovski crystals from a friend of mine, and the case I use is just an el-cheapo generic one. Hope you guys like.
                              MOSLEM PRIEST

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎