• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by fncyths View Post
    faust, go! it's absolutely breathtaking! went years ago with my family. btw - was there some feature on it recently? you're like the 3rd person this week that's brought up going in my media circles...
    Oh, no, it's just it's been on my radar forever because I love all things European and medieval, and finally thought I should do it this summer before Paris men's fashion week.

I know it will be very touristy, c'est la vie.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DRRRK
      • Aug 2009

Tourists anywhere won't shock someone from New York I guess.

Comment

• interest1
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post

Have any of you been to Dubrovnik? Yes/no/maybe?
        You'll love it, E.

A centuries-old moted fortress city set right up against the Mediterranean. What's not to like?

I went back a few years ago. Here are a few snaps I took:

I didn't take this last one, but an aerial view of Dubrovnik is a must.

Be still, my heart.
        sain't

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Damn, how do you say no to that?!
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Eisenbaum
            • Apr 2014

That looks amazing!

Has anyone been to Greece since the start of the debt crisis? I assume the more tourist-y spots remain unaffected since that's a large source of income for the country.

Comment

• eleves
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Eisenbaum View Post
              That looks amazing!

Has anyone been to Greece since the start of the debt crisis? I assume the more tourist-y spots remain unaffected since that's a large source of income for the country.
              I have been looking forward to going to Greece for so long and I'd even bet that the tourist-y spots are better and MORE welcoming now that the debt crisis started. On another note, I heard that I haven't had seafood until I get it from Greece.
              Originally posted by Faust
              HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• rickandjulius
                • Feb 2014

Going to either Chicago or Seattle/Vancouver over the summer. Really hoping for Chicago as I really want to check out Gallery Aesthete. Other than Totokaelo, what are some cool places to shop in Seattle/Vancouver?

But aside from fashion, I'm super excited to go to some baseball games. If I wasn't in college right now I would do a summer long baseball road trip. Only been to Tropicana Field (Go Rays) and Shea Stadium so I'm slacking mad hard on my Ballpark bucket list.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

I love Chicago. Amazing modernist architecture, fantastic food that's cheaper than in NYC, pleasant people.

Gallery Aesthete is a winner and Blake (for women) is probably a better store than anything New York could possibly offer.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rider
                    eyes of the world
                    • Jun 2009

I'll be heading to Chicago mid august. Looking for recommendations for a nice cultural hotel experience (on the magnificent mile, I've been told). Fine food, beer and wine are important. I've been told as corny as it sounds to take a river cruise. Will be jumping over the lake to visit my new filly in Michigan as well, but Chicago will be place my husband will want to delve into.

Guide me folks. I would love the know the top shelf and side door places.
                    Thanks.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

I was going to write, I LOVE CHICAGO! but then I looked at the post above yours.

If you are willing to splurge on the hotel, I recommend The Public. It's on the Gold Coast, so it's next to the magnificent mile but in a green, charming neighborhood and out of the way of the hubbub while being walking distance to it. Their in-house restaurant, The Pump Room is fantastic. I have a feeling it's a Jean-Georgs restaurant, because their burger has identical ingredients to the one at ABC Kitchen in NYC (except that it's better), but for some reason I could not verify this on the internet.

And, yes, do absolutely take the boat tour but make sure it's the one given by Chicago Architectural foundation and not by one of the numerous Joey Guacamoles you find on the marine peer.

For views, there is the rooftop bar of the building whose name I forget - it's a black glass tower at the end of the magnificent mile closer to the Gold Coast.

Shopping (first!) - You should visit Gallery Aesthete regardless of the fact that it's a mens store just to see the interior and the clothes. It's a fantastic, well-curated store. You can pick up a mad et len candle there or an issue of StyleZeitgeist magazine or a Faliero Sarti scarf. Just tell them you are an SZ member - we are like family.

Ikram - obviously, because it's such a psychedelic experience. It's a garish red lacquer box with customer service stuck in the 90s Barneys mode. If you can put some philosophical distance between you and the shop, you will find it amusing. But they have some crazy shit in there if you are willing to deal with Century21 style of merchandizing.

Blake - fantastic shop with more Dries Van Noten than Barneys on Madison has, and many other good labels. Absolutely a must for you (and anyone else).

You can skip all of the department stores in Chicago - they are downright awful vanilla.

The bellow food recommendations assume that you have a car, because Chicago is actually a pain in the ass to get around on public transport:

Seafood - GT Fish & Oyster
                      Meat - Longman & Eagle
                      Meat - Au Cheval
                      Coffee - Intelligentsia

And if you need an emergency lunch, believe it or not, the ramen counter at the Macy's food court!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rider
                        eyes of the world
                        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        I was going to write, I LOVE CHICAGO! but then I looked at the post above yours.

If you are willing to splurge on the hotel, I recommend The Public. It's on the Gold Coast, so it's next to the magnificent mile but in a green, charming neighborhood and out of the way of the hubbub while being walking distance to it. Their in-house restaurant, The Pump Room is fantastic. I have a feeling it's a Jean-Georgs restaurant, because their burger has identical ingredients to the one at ABC Kitchen in NYC (except that it's better), but for some reason I could not verify this on the internet.

And, yes, do absolutely take the boat tour but make sure it's the one given by Chicago Architectural foundation and not by one of the numerous Joey Guacamoles you find on the marine peer.

For views, there is the rooftop bar of the building whose name I forget - it's a black glass tower at the end of the magnificent mile closer to the Gold Coast.

Shopping (first!) - You should visit Gallery Aesthete regardless of the fact that it's a mens store just to see the interior and the clothes. It's a fantastic, well-curated store. You can pick up a mad et len candle there or an issue of StyleZeitgeist magazine or a Faliero Sarti scarf. Just tell them you are an SZ member - we are like family.

Ikram - obviously, because it's such a psychedelic experience. It's a garish red lacquer box with customer service stuck in the 90s Barneys mode. If you can put some philosophical distance between you and the shop, you will find it amusing. But they have some crazy shit in there if you are willing to deal with Century21 style of merchandizing.

Blake - fantastic shop with more Dries Van Noten than Barneys on Madison has, and many other good labels. Absolutely a must for you (and anyone else).

You can skip all of the department stores in Chicago - they are downright awful vanilla.

The bellow food recommendations assume that you have a car, because Chicago is actually a pain in the ass to get around on public transport:

Seafood - GT Fish & Oyster
                        Meat - Longman & Eagle
                        Meat - Au Cheval
                        Coffee - Intelligentsia

And if you need an emergency lunch, believe it or not, the ramen counter at the Macy's food court!
                        This is a fantastic guide, thank you for taking the time to write it.
                        The Public is exactly the type of hotel I was hoping to stay at.
                        I was there many moons ago but stayed in a friends brownstone in the theatre district so I wanted to delve into the heart of Chicago this time around. I remember the water and the bridges most of all. I remember a cool zoo too. I have to convince my husband to let me go to Blake by finding him good beer and a trip to Wrigley field in return.

Cheers.
                        Last edited by rider; 07-04-2014, 07:25 AM.

Comment

• Picasso
                          • Jul 2013

S/O to the Macy's food court. It kept me fed every day when I was taking courses downtown.

Rider you should check out wrigley at night. That's if your into the whole bar thing

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Copenhagen is fucking expensive. That is all.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shucks
                              • Aug 2010

we'll do it on the cheap next time. it can be done. no design stores.

Comment

• dji
                                • Feb 2008

visiting Chicago over the Labor Day long weekend and was hoping for recommendations on where to eat. so far on my list is:
                                - The Slurping Turtle
                                - Au Cheval (maybe for brunch?)
                                - The Girl and the Goat

was considering Next but not sure if it (or any of the other higher end restaurants in Chicago) are worth the difficulty in acquiring a reservation. the missus is not a big fan of drawn out degustation menus as we've been disappointed more than a few times by well regarded restaurants in the States (Eleven in NYC was probably the biggest let down).

also got a weekend in Montreal coming up, booked Liverpool House for dinner but lunch/brunch opinions would be appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎