X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • endorphinz
    Banned
    • Jun 2009

the new zenbook ux31A has a full-HD 1920×1080 matte display but I have no idea when asus plans a us release

I found something that I can get in a few daze

Buy SONY Laptop VAIO Intel Core i7-3520M 8GB Memory 640GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M LE 13.3" Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit SVS13A18GXB with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

not cheap(at least no tax from newegg) but pretty close to everything I want/need.... no ssd, a bit heavier but better cpu and nvidia gpu

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

Would some of the manufacturers get over the small ultrabook craze and make a lightweight, high performance 15" laptop
      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

...aand I just found out the 2nd generation Samsung 9-series is finally out here
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• endorphinz
          Banned
          • Jun 2009

ultrabooks aren't a craze and they're not going away. they are pretty powerful now and will get more powerful in the future. there are some pretty thin & light 15" machines around now and there will be more in the next couple of months.

Comment

• endorphinz
            Banned
            • Jun 2009

don't think the Samsung series 9 w ivy bridge are out in the us

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
              ultrabooks aren't a craze and they're not going away. they are pretty powerful now and will get more powerful in the future. there are some pretty thin & light 15" machines around now and there will be more in the next couple of months.
              why would I think they need to go away? they just seem to be the sole focus point for some manufacturers at the moment, I'm just wishing there'd be more emphasis on larger notebooks as well.

what are some other ultrabook-esque 15" machines?

I have no idea about the US, but the new 9's just hit the shelves here.

Comment

• theetruscan
                • Jan 2008

Resolution is just too important for me to give up when it is available.

2800x1880 versus 1920x1080 is no competition. It may finally convince me to give up on matte-screen-only.
                Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• luke
                  • Mar 2011

@lowrey, how high performance do you need to go? those new macbook pros are pretty powerful. up to 16gb ram and a quad-core i7 processor are pretty impressive in a notebook.

i'm planning on getting one soon, just waiting to hear initial non-fanatic reviews, particularly from people who do similar things to me.

Comment

• lowrey
                    ventiundici
                    • Dec 2006

I'm mainly looking for fast performance for multitasking and good battery life, nothing crazy but quicker than a basic laptop. The Samsung seems to fit the bill based on specs and reviews.

I use pc (software, files, having a desktop pc, old habits, etc etc....) so macbook is out of the question. its of course very powerful, but also heavier than what I'm hoping for, the Samsung 15" seems a good 1lbs lighter. Theres half the ram compared to the mb, but its still 8gb which is plenty.

Comment

• endorphinz
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2009

THIS ONE has quad core, 1980 x 1080res, and can expand to 12 GB ram and has 2 GB dedicated graphics mem but no ssd

acer & hp (maybe Lenovo and gigabyte as well) also make thinner, lighter 15" machines and there will be a lot more in the bear future.

series 9 looks nice too.

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

I've had a look at that Sony (and countless others makes and models), but haven't really justified switching from my current HP Elitebook untill something notably lighter comes along. The Samsung is still a pound lighter than that Sony, which is a big difference when travelling. Same applies to all HP's offerings, they pretty much all around the 4.5lbs mark or above. I'm sure there will be a lot more offerings in the near future though.

Comment

• Unexist
                          • May 2012

Saw new Macbook pro display its really awesome! Must have piece for a photographer. Retina display is really unbelieveble quality !

Comment

• uL7iMa
                            • Oct 2010

would it not be better to get a smaller sized screen (12-13") ultrabook, and hook it up to a big external monitor at home?

that way you have the advantages of carrying an ultrabook that is not so bulky on-the-go, while still enjoying a large screen when at your desk!

Comment

• endorphinz
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2009

ok, after much research,deliberation and vacillation, i just ordered THIS with the premium carbon fiber case. Could have bought the MacBook air but this is more powerful. Could have bought the retina MBP but this is lighter & smaller, and i need to run windows. I ordered directly from Sony cuz they give a 30 daze return option.... plus an 8% "student discount" ( but charged tax so that's a wash)
                              'sposed to ship 6/27. I hope I made the right decision.... i got 30 daze to decide. I saw it in the Sony store and it did look pretty.
                              I played with the new airs and retina MBP @ the Apple store. The retina display was beautiful. This Sony has FHD @ 1920 x 1080 and is pretty damn comparable.

I may end up building a desktop in a few months but if this machine lives up to its specs, that may not be necessary.

Comment

• lowrey
                                ventiundici
                                • Dec 2006

that looks very cool.

I ended up getting the new Samsung 9, its amazing. feels very similar to an Air, but its indeed 15".

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎