X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • endorphinz
    Banned
    • Jun 2009

^I'm pretty sure that won't be for anotha year. they just refreshed everything. I gotta say that fonts @ 1920 x 1080 res on a 13 in screen are tiny. I mean fuckin tiny, at least for my old eyes.

got the Sony z yesterday. it's beautiful with the premium carbon fiber and the build appears to be pretty solid. Keyboard is fine so far but I really don't know if I'll be able to use it @ 1920 x 1080. my eyes ain't what they used to be.

and supp with all this "permission denied" shit in win 7? I just came from xp pro and got blindsided by this new "security" nonsense. took a while to research to change registry to put allow admin full control in context menu. that's scary shit when you, as the admin & owner of a machine, are denied permissions and full control.

btw: win 7 looks a lot like osx. not sure that's a good thing.i know,blasphemy.
    Last edited by endorphinz; 07-06-2012, 06:22 AM.

Comment

• endersgame
      • Aug 2009

if anyone is looking for earbud-style headphones + phone headset + complete wireless bluetooth connectivity, i highly recommend these...

LG Tone - HBS-700

you don't put this over the head–the tron-like wrap goes around your neck. you pickup calls and adjust volume on the left. track advance and power on the right. internal rechargeable battery which i believe will recharge through a powered usb port. a neat feature is the earbuds will magnetically attach inplace to the ends on the necklace.

$50 on amazon.

Comment

• endorphinz
        Banned
        • Jun 2009

^ thanks a lot for the post. I'm a sucka for wireless stereo headphones. I used the Icombi Bluetooth iPod dongle years ago. sound quality was decent but I kept breaking the headphones.. went thru 5 pairs. I havent tried any recently.

How's the sound quality on these and how's the battery life? also, are the playback controls convenient and easy to use?

I'm actually excited.I enjoy my Shure 530's but wireless freedom is great.

I think I posted this before but if you do use wired buds/phones, THIS is very cool. it sometimes pops up on eBay for <$20

Comment

• endersgame
          • Aug 2009

^^ not sure how long the battery lasts in real world . i've been charging this every two days and believe it was last twice that in normal use. the box says up to 10 hours of talk and music.

the sound quality is similar to $40-50 pair of earbuds. but after going wireless, i don't think i could do wired when going out-and-about. the wire snagging was getting really annoying. now, i can drop a deuce or walk out within bt range with music playing and the phone or player somewhere else. can't beat that...and the range is incredible. i've place the player device and headphones on opposite ends of the apartment and it won't skip a beat.

also synced with my mac/itunes and the playback controls are spot on. fastforward/rewind not as good on the phone.

this thing also accepts voice dialing/voice track playback but i don't really use those features.

also nice about this is the necklace vibrates on incoming calls. the power button blinks blue every 10 seconds and people will stare at it and wonder what the hell i'm using..

Comment

• Patroklus
            Banned
            • Feb 2011

i will never surrender by gigantic cans. i don't care where technology advances too.

Comment

• tenorish
              • Oct 2011

Probably the best portable audiophile headphones out there today.. and feather light too.

Grado RS1i

Image from LN-CC.

Comment

• morsto
                • Nov 2008

uh, no. you don't wear the wooden grados outside since they can't handle rain and also since they are open headphones external noise would be very annoying.

high end iems is the way to go for portable rigs imo.
                I do not recognise the vessel,
                but the eyes seem so familiar

Comment

• Patroklus
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2011

i wear my plastic grados out since my earbuds broke a long time ago. External noise really isn't an issue and I actually like them more. They're more isolating so people bother me less, plus the way they encompass the ear and blast into it works better for the music I listen to. all those reverberations, they're so delicious. they look super cool too.

you may call me a poser. i won't hear you over the dulcet tones of merzbow

that said they are not "the best audiophile headphones", though they're probably a contender for price:cost

Comment

• munch
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by morsto View Post
                    uh, no. you don't wear the wooden grados outside since they can't handle rain and also since they are open headphones external noise would be very annoying.

I agree - but if going with "portables", I much prefer Audio Technica ATH-ESW10 over the Grados :) although very different sound signature...
                    I'd much rather recommend getting something like JH13Pro (or JH16Pro if you like a .. way too much bass) for portable use however. the Westone ES5 aren't bad either but not quite as nice, imo.
                    but I ended up sticking to my ATH-CK100, customs are too much of a hassle.. heh. just bought a pair of AD900 too, mainly for movies and gaming. going to get HE-500 as soon as I get my parts to build my AMB M^3 amplifier.... hmm might be going a bit overboard here. I love headphones.

anyway, I came to ask about smaller phone recommendation

I want something small (got an iPhone 3rd gen at the moment, for reference), sturdy, not too slow, not requiring a data plan (I pay 25 bux for 100MB right now and it's kinda stupid since I don't use a byte off-WiFi)
                    main concerns are looks, durability and a good touch screen (or actual physical keyboard)
                    I really like the looks of the Lumia 900 but I think it is a bit big maybe? and how is the MeeGo OS? I haven't used Android since version 2 and I didn't like it but I assume it is better now?
                    Windows Phone 7 any good?

any phone I should wait for maybe?

thanks!

Comment

• endorphinz
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2009

KOSS PORTA PRO are solid. nice sounding, good value mobile cans.

just ordered the hbs 700

Comment

• endersgame
                        • Aug 2009

^^ cool, but i have to give you an update on battery life. it went out on me this morning after leaving it on all night so i went back to wired. i guess it should be turned off when not in use..

on another topic, has anyone owned a john's phone?
                        do you know where i can get one in the US?

Comment

• Crowzer
                          • Feb 2011

Didn't know the brand Grado before this thread. The sound quality seems to be very decent. I would like to give a try just to see how it's compared to my Philips headphone.

Comment

• endorphinz
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2009

you went back to wired permanently or just for the day cuz they were dead?

edit: just noticed my post count lol

edit 2 : I hope I can pair these with my old icombi dongle so I can use them on old ipods.. think it should work

Comment

• tenorish
                              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by morsto View Post

I wouldn't wear any headphones outside when it's raining, let alone Grados.

The external "noise" you speak of is part of the experience. Ofcourse, it's subjective if you like it or not.

As for sound leakage, I personally wouldn't wear them in a library or on an airplane, and I doubt anybody with half a brain who knows about open headphones wouldn't do so either. Apart from that I'm very happy wearing them outdoors, but wear them at home most of the time.

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
                              i wear my plastic grados out since my earbuds broke a long time ago. External noise really isn't an issue and I actually like them more. They're more isolating so people bother me less, plus the way they encompass the ear and blast into it works better for the music I listen to. all those reverberations, they're so delicious. they look super cool too.

you may call me a poser. i won't hear you over the dulcet tones of merzbow

that said they are not "the best audiophile headphones", though they're probably a contender for price:cost
                              I agree, they do look great. I especially love the looks of the RS1i that I posted. Again a taste issue obviously but I personally don't like the ultra modern alien looking headphones.

As for the price, I would classify these Grados (the Reference series upwards) as pretty high end! Ofcourse there are other Grados that are very affordable and very worth it.

Grados in general have a typical bright sound, if one doesn't like that one wouldn't consider Grados. Having said that they are also quite hard to beat in the lush and warm sound category.

Comment

• interest1
                                • Nov 2008

Call your mom.

sain't

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎