Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dji
    • Feb 2008

well Punchbowl and evite both have this functionality but have their problems (unnecessary animations plus very low number of guests unless you pay for their premium options, and crappy invite designs respectively), was hoping to find a better alternative.

Comment

• radio-aktivität
      • Jan 2011

Ahimsa,

one solution might be:
      • search for emails (in a given period of time, f.e. the last two weeks or the date since the invite is public) with "RSVP" in the title
      • get the sender’s name
      • save/copy that name as text
      • save those names in some format, for example comma-separated textfile
      • open/create excel document
      • import/past the comma-separated files and:
      • after each comma, paste into a new cell

If you use OS X, you could use Automator.app to create a small application to do so. Or you could ask an experienced web developer: AppleScript, the language such small applications are written in, is a little similar to command line operation such developers work with daily. (sometimes)

Anyway, your problem doesn’t sound too crazy.

Edit: OK, I found a weakness in the method I suggested. It could be that the name that should be RSVP’d isn’t the email name. Yet in that case you could still copy the email and base the list on that.
      After all, it’s a question of what people should tell at the event entrance to get in: Their name or their mail address.

Comment

• Ahimsa
        Vegan Police
        • Sep 2011

radio-aktivität, thanks for the info.
        The main issue is that I do it in name format - Last | First | Number in Party. (It's the only format Silencio accepts, for example )

A lot of people are very bad at RSVP'ing and will just RSVP in the subject line for instance, making me use their email address that has their name in it.

Yes, ideally I'd love to be able to just export all of them from a .csv or .txt straight into excel… My current method is basically just open in new tab, command+tab, type info.

I'd love any scripting suggestions/ links as I'm sure I could figure out how to code it if it's already out there.
        StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• radio-aktivität
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post

A lot of people are very bad at RSVP'ing and will just RSVP in the subject line for instance, making me use their email address that has their name in it.
          I think that is the main problem.
          Otherwise, if you really want to visit a certain event, I could imagine that you reply exactly as requested.

An easy solution could be done via a secret and secure web form. The database would generate your list and you’d have an archive for future projects. People could specify who’s coming, they could even state at what time (maybe relevant for the door to reduce waiting time) and with how many company.
          Sounds a bit ideal, but would be manageable. It’s certainly no more stress for the visitor (than writing/pasting an incomplete email together) and way more enjoyable for you.

Comment

• Ahimsa
            Vegan Police
            • Sep 2011

^Sounds useful for something on the regular.

On another note…does anyone here do transcriptions on the regular? Are there any good programs out there that can aid with sound level control for interview style audio? Right now I just use VLC and studio headphones and adjust levels if there is background noise, but it's often not enough if there is a ruckus going on.

Thanks in advance.
            StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• trentk
              • Oct 2010

just in case i haven't already posted this:

Older than bronze and as new as nanowires, textiles are technology — and they have remade our world time and again. (Aeon Magazine).
              "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• PoubelleMaBelle
                • Feb 2012

anyone here familiar w/ encrypted e-mail service?

currently looking – but it seems like a toss up between protonmail & tutanota

Comment

• Arkady
                  • Apr 2011

Mailpile is also worth taking a look at.

Comment

• PoubelleMaBelle
                    • Feb 2012

thanks (NS)Arkady – though isn't Mailpile just a mail client / not a mail server? or are they planning full service in a future beta?

anyway, i'll check 'em out – still could be useful

Comment

• Arkady
                      • Apr 2011

Ahaha, you're correct Mailpile is a mail client with built-in encryption tools. The reason I suggest it is because, depending on the level of security you want, you could set up your own mail server and use mailpile as the client. This is probably the most secure way to approach email as no third party provider is storing your content. But it's also probably too huge a pain in the ass for most people.

You could also use GPG tools and their Mail plugin if you wanted to take advantage of encryption without switching to a new service.

Otherwise I think you've found the best Lavabit alternatives for a full-service option.

Comment

• TheDivinitus
                        • Jul 2011

Slightly off topic but I'm curious what will you guys think of “Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine" docu. We were reviewing it today, it will be released this autumn.
                        blog

Comment

• En.
                          • May 2015

Originally posted by TheDivinitus View Post
                          Slightly off topic but I'm curious what will you guys think of “Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine" docu. We were reviewing it today, it will be released this autumn.
                          I have no interest in watching it as I'm not much a fan. It'll probably end up as another story about his life that undermines Wozniak's fundamental role in Apple.

Comment

• TheDivinitus
                            • Jul 2011

En., your issues with Jobs are not glossed over in the new documentary. Job's darker side of doing business, from day 1 through the end, is definitely given plenty of run-time.
                            blog

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by En. View Post
                              I have no interest in watching it as I'm not much a fan. It'll probably end up as another story about his life that undermines Wozniak's fundamental role in Apple.
                              This is so naive, honestly. What successful businessman did not make his way to the top by being a cunning bastard? That's how business works 99.9% of the time.
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Arkady
                                • Apr 2011

Trust that Wozniak is doing just fine without everyone turning him into a lunchbox brand a las Jobs.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎