X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BSR
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    This is so naive, honestly. What successful businessman did not make his way to the top by being a cunning bastard? That's how business works 99.9% of the time.
    another reason why we can spare ourselves biopics devoted to business "geniuses"
    pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
    Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• TheDivinitus
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by BSR View Post
      another reason why we can spare ourselves biopics devoted to business "geniuses"
      Right, because the only documentaries worth making or seeing should be about good elves and unicorns.
      blog

Comment

• MJRH
        • Nov 2006

Actually, it's most of the stuff you see written about Jobs that reads like high fantasy. This includes drivel like "let's create a narrative juxtaposing his Machiavellian business acumen with his creative genius, there now it's fair and balanced."

Not that the biopic is necessarily bad, but the odds of it being anything other than balls are pretty poor.

(edited for clarity)
        ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• TheDivinitus
          • Jul 2011

I just don't know why the biopic genre was even brought into this discussion. "Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine" is not a biopic. It is a documentary comprised entirely of archival footage and interviews and not a movie interpretation starring Ashton Kutcher.
          blog

Comment

• En.
            • May 2015

This is so naive, honestly. What successful businessman did not make his way to the top by being a cunning bastard? That's how business works 99.9% of the time.
            You're right, I wasn't denying that, but Jobs is obviously dead now. Glorifying him as a single "genius" that brought Apple to its current position is just nonsense.
            Originally posted by TheDivinitus View Post
            En., your issues with Jobs are not glossed over in the new documentary. Job's darker side of doing business, from day 1 through the end, is definitely given plenty of run-time.
            That's a plus.

Comment

• BSR
              • Aug 2008

Right, because the only documentaries worth making or seeing should be about good elves and unicorns.
              ok i should have been a bit more explicit. it is not so much the choice of the topic per se that matters, but the angle. I'm ok to watch a doc on pol pot, provided it's not gonna be about a guy who was a true genius but also some failures or dark sides. basically any doc focusing on the "personality" rather than the facts disgusts me but that's a personal taste i suppose.

I just don't know why the biopic genre was even brought into this discussion. "Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine" is not a biopic. It is a documentary comprised entirely of archival footage and interviews and not a movie interpretation starring Ashton Kutcher.
              "A biographical film, or biopic is a film that dramatizes the life of an actual person or people." says wikipedia. hmmm... guess what? i don't see how and why a film "comprised entirely of archival footage and interviews" would not deliver an "interpretation" of the reality it showcases. and btw the clear line between fiction movie and documentary is challenged in many ways.

I am in the difficult position to talk about a movie that i haven't seen... but I saw the trailer and it is highly dramatic and I'd bet that emphasizing the dark sides of Jobs' character will add a lot of "faustian" (in the Goethe sense, not SZ ;)) romanticism to his "legend".
              pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
              Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Well, comparing Jobs to Pol Pot, hmmm.

The importance of Jobs is that he was the first global business executive that saw the importance of design, which is the unification of form and function, which is the unification of science and art, with technology being the pathway, which is the solution of a deeply rooted philosophical problem in the Western society where art and science were separated beginning with the Renaissance (though Pirsig puts it much further in history, with the Greeks), creating an incredible amount of technological ugliness, from consumer products to architecture, that has done a disservice to our society.

I am sure he has seen what Braun has done, and Bang and Olufsen on a lesser scale. And I am sure he must have read John Ruskin and Robert Pirsig.

That is why I couldn't care less if he was a conniving despot - everyone in business is. Better him than some fucking airline CEO.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Arkady
                  • Apr 2011

While we're on the topic, has anyone seen the spectacular We Live in Public about Josh Harris, the creator of the first online video network? Particularly a fan of his underground bunker installation wired for surveillance -- featuring interrogation artist and shooting range.

Comment

• TheDivinitus
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
                    While we're on the topic, has anyone seen the spectacular We Live in Public about Josh Harris, the creator of the first online video network? Particularly a fan of his underground bunker installation wired for surveillance -- featuring interrogation artist and shooting range.
                    Yes, it was done by my colleague Ondi Timoner. I have seen it and presented east coast premiere several years ago.
                    blog

Comment

• Arkady
                      • Apr 2011

Yes, it was done by my colleague Ondi Timoner. I have seen it and presented east coast premiere several years ago.
                      That's stellar you work with Ondi -- it's by far one of my favorite documentaries.

Comment

• TheDivinitus
                        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
                        That's stellar you work with Ondi -- it's by far one of my favorite documentaries.
                        Very happy to hear that.
                        Especially when battling gender inequality in film.
                        blog

Comment

• Globi
                          • Dec 2009

The importance of Jobs is that he was the first global business executive that saw the importance of designCEO.
                          Well, i think several car companies or maybe IKEA realized this before Jobs.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Globi View Post
                            IKEA? We obviously have different ideas of what constitute good design. IKEA is exactly the prime example of the philosophical problem I describe above.

Car companies, maybe BMW comes close, but still falls short of what I have in mind and what Jobs has been able to achieve with Apple.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mrbeuys
                              • May 2008

Originally posted by Globi View Post
                              And like Faust said or alluded to, Apple really is Braun on steroids. Jonny Ive couldn't do his work without Dieter Rams.

And obviously we can follow that back to the Bauhaus, etc etc. and The Great Exhibition in 1851. Or further, but that will get silly.

Doesn't lessen Jobs' contribution to many aspects of today's culture.
                              Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Nickefuge
                                • Nov 2014

Car companies, maybe BMW comes close
                                I wish I could find the outtake from Objectified where this BMW designer says the fold-out car key is the biggest innovation in transportation design in the last few years. Unfortunately, I can´t find it. It´s a nice documentary nonetheless.
                                "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                                -Paris Hilton

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎