• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by almroth View Post
    I have to admit I enjoy clarks fascination with youth and sex, although almost entirely his previous work from his youth. those photos are as raw as it can get. everyone should own a copy of tulsa.

his more recent work makes me wonder what's really going on in his head at times.

http://museum.icp.org/museum/exhibit...ark/tulsa.html
    This raises an interesting question, which I've pondered before, and couldn't really come up with an answer. Does it make Ok for Ryan McGinley to do what he does because he is a kid himself? It's not that much different from what Clark does, no?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
      • Aug 2007

ryan's 30 or 31, hardly a kid now...he follows in nan goldin's / jack piersons footsteps...really depends on which body of work ur referring to. if its kids are alright, well goldin's ballad of sexual dependency pretty much paved the road along with clark.
      Last edited by philip nod; 10-25-2009, 07:14 PM.
      One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Hmm, I thought he was more like 27. I don't know why. Let's make it a hypothetical question then :-)
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• almroth
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          This raises an interesting question, which I've pondered before, and couldn't really come up with an answer. Does it make Ok for Ryan McGinley to do what he does because he is a kid himself? It's not that much different from what Clark does, no?
          I don't really think it neccessarily makes a difference because of his age, it only makes me wonder what he's thinking. It could be beautiful, it could be depressing..

perhaps he's not going to give up his fascination just because he's growing older, and that is beautiful. the reason im more fond of his previous work is because it feels less staged, less edited - not because he's older. it doesn't mean I can't enjoy a more recent larry clark movie.

also, maybe it's just me.. but I've always had at least the fantasy of his work being more of a romanticization rather than perversion, and I can somehow relate to it.

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

I don't really think it neccessarily makes a difference because of his age, it only makes me wonder what he's thinking. It could be beautiful, it could be depressing..

perhaps he's not going to give up his fascination just because he's growing older, and that is beautiful. the reason im more fond of his previous work is because it feels less staged, less edited - not because he's older. it doesn't mean I can't enjoy a more recent larry clark movie.

also, maybe it's just me.. but I've always had at least the fantasy of his work being more of a romanticization rather than perversion, and I can somehow relate to it.

Wait, are you talking about Clark or McGinley??
            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• almroth
              • Jul 2008

clark! I always wander in my thoughts, sorry for not being clear.

Comment

• Avantster
                ¤¤¤
                • Sep 2006

Was just reading this in the paper today.

It's art but no naked boys on the beach please

A sculpture in the sand … Little Boy Lost by Sydney's Paul Trefry is one of 114 works along a two-kilometre stretch of coast from Bondi to Tamarama.

The little boy is lost but, as Sculpture by the Sea prepares to open on Thursday, he is sure to be discovered by hordes of visitors to one of Australia's most popular outdoor art exhibitions.

And when they find him, he will be wearing swimmers.

''Originally when I put the submission in, he was naked,'' said Paul Trefry, who entered the oversized yet otherwise lifelike work in the exhibition. But issues were raised about the lack of clothes, he said, ''and the powers that be said, 'No, look, you've got to put pants on it.'

''So he's got pants on - under duress,'' said Trefry, a film industry model-maker who is exhibiting at Sculpture by the Sea for the first time.

His idea, he explained, had been that ''when you're naked you're really vulnerable'' and the boy was supposed to appear without defences. Trefry was at Tamarama Beach yesterday installing Little Boy Lost as a phalanx of artists and helpers with tools and machinery descended on the two-kilometre stretch of coast between Bondi and Tamarama for the first of the exhibition's two biggest days putting in 114 works of all shapes and sizes.

About 500,000 people are expected to see the display during its 2½-week run. But in a year when the Perth version of Sculpture by the Sea extended its duration, the Sydney original has done it tough financially.

''The problem is that everyone thinks Sculpture by the Sea is a rich organisation,'' said its founder, David Handley. ''We are constantly hanging on by our fingernails.''

The sculptures cost every artist an average of $15,000 to make, transport and install, but they would this year receive only a minimum of $2000 each for being in the show, he said. The exhibition would again seek gold-coin donations from viewers, he said.

The exhibition's main prize, to be announced at Thursday's opening, has this year been doubled to $60,000 annually for the next 10 years. The winning work will later move to a permanent home in a public space to be determined by the donor, the Balnaves Foundation.
                let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Diss
                  • Sep 2008

I haven't, but some close friends have. they've described it just how I'd imagine it.. full of fantastic work, tastefuly. crazy is, I heard it used to retail for 100$..

I bet someone on SZ has it.
                  late reply but i have mnemosyne by henson and its a fantastic book. bloody heavy also. It cost me about 80AUD when he was exhibiting his work at the National Gallery here in Melbourne. His other book, Lux et Nox, is also great but mnemosyne is better imo

Comment

• casem
                    • Sep 2006

Welcome to America, where misguided puritanism trumps intellectual discourse. Unfortunately, I fear our "values" are spreading

Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post

... Or until it is moderated. I can't stand such misguided puritanism. If people see that as an incitation to molest children, well, maybe they'd better find a good therapist. As we say in France, "Le censeur crie ce qu'il proscrit".
                    music

Comment

• almroth
                      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Diss View Post
                      late reply but i have mnemosyne by henson and its a fantastic book. bloody heavy also. It cost me about 80AUD when he was exhibiting his work at the National Gallery here in Melbourne. His other book, Lux et Nox, is also great but mnemosyne is better imo
                      I want them both! super jealous. especially since dennis cooper wrote for lux et nox. ugh, tell me if you want to get rid of them.

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

I'm not sure if there would be enough discussion to require a separate forum, considering that the culture selction isn't that populated right now at least. maybe just start here for now?

the idea of having threads on various artists etc is of course good

if there would be a division, grouping it into two would probably be better, such as art/photography and music/film/media? dunno, just an idea
                        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• dolochov
                          • Aug 2009

I also think that the current structure of the sections is just fine - splitting up culture in various sub-sections doesn't automatically imply a higher quality of the discussions and I don't see a problem in posting threads dedicated to artists under the present formation of sub-forums.

Besides, creating new culture-based sections would distract from the main point of this forum, which is discussing fashion and its surroundings and not vice versa.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by new_dawn_fades
                            Hey guys, wouldnt it be cool if we have an art sections where we could dedicate threads to certain artists- similar to the designers and their work thread. I can see some nice discussions. There is only that much one can discuss about fashion in general and I think art would be a good break. Im sure there are several art forums out there but I think the sz folk in the art field would have a lot to contribute.

I was thinking along the lines of dividing the culture section into 4 parts.
                            Art, Music, Literature, Other/Random.
                            And we can dedicate threads to artists,writers,musicians,and bands and discuss their work in further detail.. This too much for sZ?

Anyone here with similar thoughts. lowrey?laika?Faust?Nids?Avantster?wire?merz?dhc

holler.
                            I think it is too much of a division. I don't think we'll have enough substantial discussion to cover all of these. Personally, I like the way this thread and what are you reading deviates into discussions about art and literature respectively. We have a movies thread too, even TV. Probably need a photography thread that's not fashion photography but general (could include fashion, of course). But I think splitting into subforums would just make it more cumbersome. Besides, SZ IS about fashion, and my goal is to steer it into that direction. Not that I discourage other discussions, but I want people to keep in mind that fashion is the most important topic here.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                              • Sep 2009

There are enough threads already, can't you see I'm drowning in my own addiction?

Less is more, usually.

On the bright side, I have been shopping less and thinking more. I need to think less, and sew more.
                              http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• laughed
                                • Jul 2009

Jeremy Blake is and has been one of my favorite artists for a long time. Just thought I would post that there is a movie/script in the works now, for those who haven't heard yet, The Golden Suicides- by Easton Ellis and Gus Van. think it's gonna be awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎