• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Re: Guns: Absense and Presence

[quote user="Schadenfreude"]

The only way that it would be possible is to slowly impose gun control over several decades. For one you have the criminals who have throw aways as it is so they wont have to worry about the police coming to look for their weapons. You also have the law abiding citizen that wouldn't let his rifles go for anything. My dad for instance has already said no matter what happens law wise he is keeping his guns, and he isn't some horrible criminal, he's just an ordinary guy that enjoys his guns. The best way would be to do what they did with drugs in this country. Make guns out to be the horrible things, not the people. Drill it into peoples heads over years and years. During this time slowly disarm them of their guns getting more and more tight on barrel length, ammunition diameter and how rapid you are able to fire the gun. Eventually all of this will be so drilled into everyones head, from seeing it while they were in grade school up until they are adults that they just blindly agree with what's being said and you have yourself a way to disarm the public without a large uproar. Another reason why they have to slowly impose gun control is over the years guns will be less and less available making it harder for illegal firearm sales meaning slowly but surely less guns on the street (as people are caught with these weapons or they throw them away after using so they arent found with a murder weapon) </p>

</p>

</p>

I don't see any other way to do it.</p>

</p>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

sounds exactly like the anti-smoking campaign....
    </p>
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Schadenfreude
      • Jan 2008

yes, and the drug campaign. its just the easiest way to do it.
      Originally posted by ddohnggo
      fuck, that baby dresses way better than i do.

Comment

• laika
        • Sep 2006

but, this method is disturbing in its fascism, no? I highlighted the relevant passages.
        </p>

[quote user="laika"][quote user="Schadenfreude"]</p>

The only way that it would be possible is to slowly impose gun control over several decades. For one you have the criminals who have throw aways as it is so they wont have to worry about the police coming to look for their weapons. You also have the law abiding citizen that wouldn't let his rifles go for anything. My dad for instance has already said no matter what happens law wise he is keeping his guns, and he isn't some horrible criminal, he's just an ordinary guy that enjoys his guns. The best way would be to do what they did with drugs in this country. Make guns out to be the horrible things, not the people. Drill it into peoples heads over years and years. During this time slowly disarm them of their guns getting more and more tight on barrel length, ammunition diameter and how rapid you are able to fire the gun. Eventually all of this will be so drilled into everyones head, from seeing it while they were in grade school up until they are adults that they just blindly agree with what's being said and you have yourself a way to disarm the public without a large uproar. Another reason why they have to slowly impose gun control is over the years guns will be less and less available making it harder for illegal firearm sales meaning slowly but surely less guns on the street (as people are caught with these weapons or they throw them away after using so they arent found with a murder weapon) </p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>[/quote]
        ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Schadenfreude
          • Jan 2008

I hate to get all conspiracy theorist here, but The US has been on its way to fascism for some time now.

Comment

• Schadenfreude
            • Jan 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Plot</p>

^A Marine Corps Major General in 1933 testified against several men claiming they approached him and asked him to help them overthrow FDR in order to instate a fascist government. </p>

</p>

</p>

Ok sorry, done with the conspiracy theory thing. Sorry Sorry Sorry.
            </p>

</p>

Comment

• random
              • Dec 2007

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UpdNspEJbNg
              I don't exist.

Comment

• DHC
                • Jul 2007

http://www.tubearoo.com/articles/243...Bear_Arms.html
                Originally posted by Faust
                fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• justine
                  • Jan 2007

[quote user="merz"]keep in mind, i've had to stand at the business end of a gun and have some person tell me that i'm about to die because i look like a faggot.[/quote]</p>

Okay, first I am really sorry this happened to you. Being faced with such violence, injustice, plain barbarism is just revolting. My best friend was gay-bashed very badly few years back (almost died too). It is a very traumatic experience, and maybe you could seek help too (?); the couple of people I knew who had to deal with such violence did get something out of (light) therapy.</p>

On the topic of gun in this context, I wouldn't recommend carrying one. You weren't carrying one before, and you shouldn't carry one now. How often do you expect this kind of confrontation to happen? Is it worth walking around with a constant reminder of the event, and build a world of fear (that the gun is supposed to bring down) around you?
                  If I had such a terrible thing happened to me, I would like to receive the advice of going back to my normal self (if possible); as hard as it is. And maybe we just have to accept that we can die on such horrible situation, but changing our whole life towards fear (i.e. carrying a gun all the time) isn't worth it.</p>

If you saw someone get hit by a falling brick in front of you, and die, would you wear a helmet all day long, or look up constantly?
                  </p>

Anyway, if you'll allow me, I am sending warm feelings of comfort to you (hope this doesn't sound too weird, it's from my heart :) ). </p>

Also, I do find guns quite fascinating and beautiful too (don't own one); but I prefer the mechanical beauty of sewing machines [83]
                  </p>

Comment

• justine
                    • Jan 2007

[quote user="merz"][quote user="justine"]</p>

you shouldn't carry one now. How often do you expect this kind of confrontation to happen? Is it worth walking around with a constant reminder of the event, and build a world of fear (that the gun is supposed to bring down) around you? </p>

[/quote]</p>

actually, it makes me very comfortable. cool as it is to wax philosophical on the subject, the only reason i didn't die the first time was because police just happened to be passing by. i still walked away with several cracked ribs. How often do i expect this to happen? often enough to where similar type situations occurred later on. whilst they didn't escalate to such a point, they didn't because my would-be assailants gathered from me a level of preparedness to defend myself and decided it was not worth the trouble.
                    </p>

I'm sorry, but 'roll on the ground and cover your head' is shitty advice for survival, especially when entirely based on rosy idealism. When people work at a construction site, they're mandated to wear helmets.
                    </p>[/quote]Then I wouldn't live on a construction site, and move to somewhere else.

BTW, about the 'rosy idealism' note, I really don't see where I could be taxed of this. I am from a country where people got killed on a regular basis, and not in a clean way too, so really, I've had to move on from rosy idealism early. As far as I could tell, the best thing people were doing at the time, was actually moving away to more peaceful places to live a better life. To each is own, if you want to carry a gun because your environment is so dangerous, I guess you are free to do
                    it (actually don't you need a permit to carry it?). Hope you stay safe.</p>

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

but, this method is disturbing in its fascism, no? I highlighted the relevant passages.
                      </p>

[quote user="laika"][quote user="Schadenfreude"]</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

[/quote][/quote]</p>

So what? It's not like burning books and solving the Jewish question. I think it's been working quite well with smoking.
                      </p>
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="laika"]

</P>

[quote user="laika"][quote user="Schadenfreude"]</P>

The only way that it would be possible is to slowly impose gun control over several decades. For one you have the criminals who have throw aways as it is so they wont have to worry about the police coming to look for their weapons. You also have the law abiding citizen that wouldn't let his rifles go for anything. My dad for instance has already said no matter what happens law wise he is keeping his guns, and he isn't some horrible criminal, he's just an ordinary guy that enjoys his guns. The best way would be to do what they did with drugs in this country. Make guns out to be the horrible things, not the people. Drill it into peoples heads over years and years. During this time slowly disarm them of their guns getting more and more tight on barrel length, ammunition diameter and how rapid you are able to fire the gun. Eventually all of this will be so drilled into everyones head, from seeing it while they were in grade school up until they are adults that they just blindly agree with what's being said and you have yourself a way to disarm the public without a large uproar. Another reason why they have to slowly impose gun control is over the years guns will be less and less available making it harder for illegal firearm sales meaning slowly but surely less guns on the street (as people are caught with these weapons or they throw them away after using so they arent found with a murder weapon) </P>
                        <P mce_keep="true"></P>
                        <P mce_keep="true"></P>

I don't see any other way to do it.</P>
                        <P mce_keep="true"></P>

</P>

[/quote]</P>

</P>

[/quote][/quote]</P>

So what? It's not like burning books and solving the Jewish question. I think it's been working quite well with smoking.
                        </P>

[/quote]</P>

It hasn't been working very well with teenagers and, as for drugs, we all know the war on drugs has been a big success. I'm not into friendly-fascism anyway, which is what the anti-smoking campaign has turned into. People who want my happiness and are willing to walk all over me to obtain it are not to be trusted.</P>
                        Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

It's been quite successful in the US, and even in Europe, where smoking is a god given right, you've seen bas on smoking in public places. I don't see how educating the young about the dangers of smoking in schools and banning ads showing people smoking equates to walking all over them.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Schadenfreude
                            • Jan 2008

One thing about the smoking campaign (in America) that disgusts me is that they somehow made it so that if a character is smoking in a movie it almost immediately gets an R rating. </p>

</p>*rolls eyes*

Comment

• giantreptile
                              • Jun 2008

why is it that the US is not cool anymore? was it ever? why do Europeans look down on us so much? I feel like the gun culture is closely linked to this. no matter how uncool we are to Euros, they can't help shopping here like it's a third world country!

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user="giantreptile"]why is it that the US is not cool anymore? was it ever? why do Europeans look down on us so much? I feel like the gun culture is closely linked to this. no matter how uncool we are to Euros, they can't help shopping here like it's a third world country![/quote]</p>

watcha talkin' 'bout, willis? we are the coolest. we dominate the world's culture. it's precisely the american influence in culture that makes the hatred vocal, but you read it in the paper. your average 16yr old wants nike dunks and jay z - EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎