X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikemikemike
    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    I started reading Sherlock Holmes with my daughter. What are some of the good screen adaptations? And don't tell me it's that BBC garbage that's on now. I am talking real period pieces that do the stories justice.
    cmon z boss u know the only true answer is the LenFilm series.

Comment

• deadboy
      • Jul 2013

Finally got around to watching the film Dark City, not sure why it took so long. Apart from feeling a bit dated, particularly at the climax, I thought it was a quite a fun little movie.

I've been hankering to watch through the original series of The Prisoner. Tried a few years ago but lost interest part-way through. If there's anyone here who's watched the whole thing... is it worth it?

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Is it me, or is the best thing about this season's True Detective the opening credits set to a Leonard Cohen song?
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mikemikemike View Post
          cmon z boss u know the only true answer is the LenFilm series.
          While phenomenal, I am afraid my daughter's Russian is not good enough to keep up with the dialogue.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Tiranis
            • Feb 2007

While phenomenal, I am afraid my daughter's Russian is not good enough to keep up with the dialogue.
            This might be a moot point depending on her age but they're available with English subtitles. The English is hardly impressive in the version I have but my wife didn't seem to mind too much. She did require an occasional explanation though.

Comment

• MJRH
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by deadboy View Post
              I've been hankering to watch through the original series of The Prisoner. Tried a few years ago but lost interest part-way through. If there's anyone here who's watched the whole thing... is it worth it?
              Probably not, if the first episodes didn't hook you. (I love that series.) Maybe try it again on your favourite recreational drug? Also, the last episode is completely fucking unhinged. The most worth watching of the series, and you don't really need to see what came before.
              ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• mikemikemike
                • Jun 2011

that is a shame. in that case i too echo the jeremy brett mini movies as i am not too keen on the subtitle route....in this particular case.

Comment

• deadboy
                  • Jul 2013

Originally posted by MJRH View Post
                  Probably not, if the first episodes didn't hook you. (I love that series.) Maybe try it again on your favourite recreational drug? Also, the last episode is completely fucking unhinged. The most worth watching of the series, and you don't really need to see what came before.
                  I think that's what kept me from really getting into it. Probably would have been different watching if pre-Twin Peaks etc. Might try to binge three or four and see things are on the other side.

Comment

• mikko
                    • Apr 2013

Is it me, or is the best thing about this season's True Detective the opening credits set to a Leonard Cohen song?
                    Well, there's the finale still to go and they picked the pace a bit in the latest episode but I'd say that it's mostly been a waste of time. The first season really had a magic charm and great energy between the two leads...

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mikko View Post
                      Well, there's the finale still to go and they picked the pace a bit in the latest episode but I'd say that it's mostly been a waste of time. The first season really had a magic charm and great energy between the two leads...
                      I can't wait to be let down, thought it would be fun if Vince Vaughn's character teams up with Colin Farrell and Rachel McAdams to kick some Russian gangster ass. That'd be a first.

The whole thing has so many holes in it. Plenty of bad acting, too - Taylor Kitsch living up to his last name for sure. The background stories that make them walking martyrs are so trite. Vince Vaughn is awesome though and so is his character.

Matthew McConaghey's character in the first season was amazing - more of that would be perfect.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• TheDivinitus
                        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by deadboy View Post
                        I did; It's one of my favorites.
                        Last edited by TheDivinitus; 08-08-2015, 01:18 PM.
                        blog

Comment

• mikko
                          • Apr 2013

I can't wait to be let down, thought it would be fun if Vince Vaughn's character teams up with Colin Farrell and Rachel McAdams to kick some Russian gangster ass. That'd be a first.

The whole thing has so many holes in it. Plenty of bad acting, too - Taylor Kitsch living up to his last name for sure. The background stories that make them walking martyrs are so trite. Vince Vaughn is awesome though and so is his character.

Matthew McConaghey's character in the first season was amazing - more of that would be perfect.
                          The backstories are pretty much useless besides the rape as a motivation for Velcoro, which has been so one-dimensionally overplayed in each possible situation.

It was pretty obvious from the start that Pizzolatto wanted again to have two leads instead of three but Kitsch's gay caricature seems so superficial a MacGuffin to the whole story that it has been really, really awkward to watch it play out.

Wish he has stuck with the "occult history of the u.s. transportation system" byline for season two...

Comment

• unwashed
                            • Dec 2008

So far the first two episodes of Mr. Robot have caught my interest. Anybody else checking this out? It's about hackers and I got the feeling it's a mix between some of my favorite movies (Fight Club and the Matrix). Working in IT I find it quite amusing to watch.
                            Grailed link

Comment

• Arkady
                              • Apr 2011

Pizzolatto warned he was unhappy about the occult and 'far-out' direction the first season took and wanted to write a straightforward cop story (cause we need more of those right now). Coupled with having his spot blown up for openly ripping off Ligotti and a few others, I think I see what happened here.

Comment

• t3hg0suazn
                                • Jan 2013

I'm up to date on Mr. Robot. The most recent episodes have actually piqued my interest even more. There's definitely a lot of same theme / feelings as Fight Club, but it's a fun show. I would recommend giving it your full attention when watching; I got a lot more out of it that way compared to when I kind of played it in the background.

"A young doctor's notebook" just got added to Netflix. I only watched S1E1 but it looks fantastic and hilarious.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎