X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickefuge
    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by josephine beuys View Post
    I recently watched Adam Curtis' documentary series "The Century of the Self". It aired on BBC in 2002, yet, in my opinion, it is still absolutely relevant. Simply put, it's about Freud's theory of psychoanalysis, and how it has influenced the past century as it infiltrated every personal, social, economic and political aspect of western society. It's an excellent narrative on how Freud's ideas were abused by those in power, how our conception of the Self came to be and how the abuse of psychoanalysis paved the way to said Self, which defines itself through consumption.
    If you're already an expert on that topic I still recommend watching it, as it is extremely well cut.
    Couldn't find an official trailer, but here's a little audiovisual insight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3ykR5x6ZdI
    Thanks for the recommendation – I´ve seen part 2 and 3 and will most likely watch the others as well. It´s both amazing and frightening how the masses can be manipulated and it makes you wonder whether you ever fell for some tricks like that as well.
    "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
    -Paris Hilton

Comment

• BlacknWhite
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      I wouldn't call The Wire underrated. I would call it the best show of all time though.
      I have heard so much praise about it but never actually gave it a shot. One of these days I'm gonna have to start. That way I can join in on the whole, "YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE WIRE? Oh my gosh you have to see it!"

Also looking forward to Heroes Reborn. The original show was great, too bad NBC canceled it.

Comment

• galia
        • Jun 2009

I don't understand those who love Hannibal. The first season was good, but by the second one it had become a bit formulaic and the horrible acting was hard to ignore. And the 3d was just so bad it was no longer possible to ignore (I didn't make it to the end of episode 2 of the 3d season)

I found it overall very kitsch, but not in a good way

Comment

• tyhsien
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by galia View Post
          I don't understand those who love Hannibal. The first season was good, but by the second one it had become a bit formulaic and the horrible acting was hard to ignore. And the 3d was just so bad it was no longer possible to ignore (I didn't make it to the end of episode 2 of the 3d season)

I found it overall very kitsch, but not in a good way
          I think the first two season is fine really, but i do agree it gets even darker in season 3,

Comment

• galia
            • Jun 2009

yeah it's dark like a mall goth trying to be sophisticated

Comment

• byhand
              • Dec 2011

At least in the third season the Red Dragon entered a museum's archive room and ate the Blake painting that inspired his name.
              Last edited by byhand; 10-21-2015, 10:49 PM.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BlacknWhite View Post
                I have heard so much praise about it but never actually gave it a shot. One of these days I'm gonna have to start. That way I can join in on the whole, "YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE WIRE? Oh my gosh you have to see it!"
                There is a reason for it. You don't understand what a stupendous achievement it is until you see the whole thing.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Mezeinee
                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  There is a reason for it. You don't understand what a stupendous achievement it is until you see the whole thing.
                  I heard you need to watch at least five episodes to get into it. I just watched the first and it was quite tiring..
                  https://t.me/pump_upp

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Mezeinee View Post
                    I heard you need to watch at least five episodes to get into it. I just watched the first and it was quite tiring..
                    Yes, at least five. I'd say you need to watch the first three seasons, haha. The second season is the weakest, I think, even though it tackles an important American social issue of blue collar jobs disappearing and the desperation that the lower middle class feels. It's really in the third that the show expands beyond drug trafficking and into social criticism.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
                      • Sep 2015

The second season's quite self-contained. The Wire's probably my favorite show of all time (next to Breaking Bad - what a cliché I know ), but I question if someone actually needs to watch it. It pretty much has no effect on the story, save for a small reference within season 5 near the end.
                      who slips in to my body and whispers to my ghost?

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Now that you say it, I have to agree. Maybe that's why I thought it was the weakest - self-contained is right.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• deadboy
                          • Jul 2013

It's been a while since the last time I watched The Wire, but I remember thinking the second season was kind of key to the whole thesis of the show because it was about the lack of opportunity fuelling the desperation that led to drug use/trafficking. I also actually just like it for what it is.

To me, the weak part is the fifth season. Found it hard to get through that one, especially after how great the fourth season was.

Side note: I'm making my way through season five of The Walking Dead on Netflix, and for some reason I just realized how many actors from The Wire are on that show, and also how SZ-like the wardrobes are.

Comment

• BlacknWhite
                            • Apr 2014

Anyone watch South Park? I love the addition of the new character P.C Principal.

Comment

• Nickefuge
                              • Nov 2014

Originally posted by BlacknWhite View Post
                              Anyone watch South Park? I love the addition of the new character P.C Principal.
                              My first thought was "Faust is gonna like this".
                              "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                              -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Oh, yeah? Why? I haven't watched SP in years... You will respect my authorita!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎