X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickefuge
    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Oh, yeah? Why? I haven't watched SP in years... You will respect my authorita!

I don´t want to spoil anything, so my advice is to just watch it
    SP has gotten better with every season imho and with a production time of only 6 days per episode they´re always up-to-date with recent issues.
    "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
    -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Arkady
      • Apr 2011

Unbelievable film -- the follow up to The Act of Killing. In some sense even stronger than the first half.

Comment

• Mezeinee
        • Apr 2015

I've seen "Crimson Peak" now. quite disappointing, except for Mia Wasikowska and the costumes.
        https://t.me/pump_upp

Comment

• NOHSAD
          • Nov 2014

Season two of The Knick is back. Picked up from season one nicely, the drama's great and not to mention, i'm loving the 20th century style clothing that everyone on the show wears!
          Last edited by NOHSAD; 11-05-2015, 12:15 AM.
          "Instead of feeling alone in a group, it's better to have real solitude all by yourself"

ShopDDavis.etsy.com

IG: @D.__Dvais

Comment

• Arkady
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by NOHSAD View Post
            Season two of The Knick is back. Picked up from season one nicely, the drama's great and not to mention, i'm loving the 20th century style clothing that everyone on the show wears!
            It's strange, this is the type of show I would normally love and production / ambiance are spectacular but I have an incredibly hard time giving a shit about any of the characters except Dr. Edwards. I think I'll watch this season in a block as with the last one to slide into the mood, it's hard to sustain week to week.

Comment

• Jtothewhat
              • Oct 2014

What are some of shows you guys feel are underrated? That you loved but went under the radar of most people? Mine are Deadwood and Generation Kill.
              I couldn't figure out why The Killing kept getting cancelled.. I think that season 1 is extremely well produced and had me really interested..after it got tossed about networks it definitely diminished in quality but season 1 on its own is great, I believe even season 2 was quite good.

I also really enjoy ' Black Sails ' and 'Peeky Blinders'. Though they are both admittedly a bit lacking in substance compared to some other great shows from over the years (The Wire, Soprano's, etc.), they are both entertaining shows that are well produced.

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
                • Sep 2015

I echo Arkady's sentiments in a way. The Knick looks great, but it's just... I fail to connect. Soderbergh's one of the most inconsistent directors I know of. It's a time killer, but if it went off the air I wouldn't be crying.
                who slips in to my body and whispers to my ghost?

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Watching Paris burn
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• round
                    • Aug 2015

Watching Paris burn
                    60+ dead apparently, what the fuck is happening, and why

Comment

• nathaliew817
                      • Sep 2014

I was surprised by the number. With all due respect to people to lost their lives: Why only so few people?

I mean, there were about 6 separate attacks including suicide bombings and "only" 130 people dead. Something doesn't add up.

If you take down a plane or a train, you take at least 300 people with you. Either these are the worst terrorists ever, or something bigger is going to happen. And they're using all the online noise we're creating to cover their tracks.
                      V A N II T A S

Comment

• nathaliew817
                        • Sep 2014

Well, now we know why.

Brussels is in lockdown.
                        Glad I can work from home tomorrow.

Anyway, let's get back. I just saw Ex Machina.
                        Hated the main character, found him a walking cliché. But now I am convinced that might have been the intention.
                        V A N II T A S

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by nathaliew817 View Post
                          Well, now we know why.

Brussels is in lockdown.
                          Glad I can work from home tomorrow.

Anyway, let's get back. I just saw Ex Machina.
                          Hated the main character, found him a walking cliché. But now I am convinced that might have been the intention.
                          That entire genre has been dead since the Blade Runner. Nothing can top it. Scared of the sequel being crap.

Stay safe!
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
                            • Sep 2015

You think science-fiction is dead? Maybe in Hollywood. Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell's the most beautiful science-fiction movie I've seen, which came out in 1995... Too bad that Disney's going to murder it (by way of Touchstone) with whitewashing, a terrible director and awful screenwriters.

It's also going to be many in the west's first (and possibly last) exposure to Ghost in the Shell.

Ex-Machina, though... was ok. I definitely wouldn't go out of my way to see it again. It wasn't the worst thing I'd ever seen, but it was not this masterpiece my friends painted it out to be. A friend of mine swore it was going to be my favorite movie of the year, but that could not be further from the truth lol.
                            who slips in to my body and whispers to my ghost?

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

I meant the AI genre, not sci-fi in general. Though, on the first thought I think after Matrix I don't recall being impressed by a sci-fi film, so maybe the sci-fi genre is dead, too. The CGI overload coupled with dumb, predictable plots and the incredibly tiring franchise rehashes have killed it. And it's not like there is dearth of brilliant sci-fi books out there with masters like Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke, Dick, etc that combine both action and philosophy. I think it will take an auteur who is personally interested in one of these books to make something worthwhile. Instead we are about to get a piece of shit Star Wars.

It's interesting to see the rise of fantasy with LOTR and GoT. The Hobbit, of course was a total abomination, so may be it has already fallen.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Arkady
                                • Apr 2011

Post-Matrix I'm most impressed by Inception / Sunshine / Oblivion (excepting Morgan fucking Freeman) / Moon / Minority Report but I agree the genre is hard to succeed in.

Part of the issue is the enormous cost of the post-processing -- when you start incurring budgets above $100 million you typically have to be saving the world for a studio to bite and the narrative curves all flatten out into the same story. We've seen quite a lot of this phenomenon at the box office the past 15 years.

One of my personal goals is to bring The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester to the screen -- the rights have been passed around for years and supposedly it's in pre-production at the moment, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎