Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • endersgame
    • Aug 2009

^^ that would have been useful information from the get-go. you're bordering the west village now. there is no straight-forward path from williamsburg to the (C, E).

if you take the L, you need to walk a long-ass corridor to get to the (1) on 14th. still, one transfer is not too bad.

edit: the C, E on 14th doesn't make sense to me. you are going further west just to go back east.

edit2: i think all this pre-planning is a little premature. you don't have a place to live yet and when you do arrive, it may take you 2 months to find a place. you might end up living in jersey, who knows?

Comment

• Speak
      • Nov 2007

Premature how so? As soon as I get there, I start working immediately. No matter if it takes me 2 months to find where I will eventually live, I'm going to have to stay somewhere for those 2 months. I don't have the luxury of family or friends there, so that is out of the question. I'll probably end up renting something month to month or renting a room from craigslist. Either way, I would like to find somewhere that is convenient to getting to work.

I'm not sure what this means "edit: the C, E on 14th doesn't make sense to me. you are going further west just to go back east." ?

I'm from Hawaii, I've never even seen a train before.

edit: here's the exact address, just in case I am giving out the wrong info location wise http://www.google.com/search?q=180+V...ient=firefox-a

Comment

• Speak
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by endersgame View Post

edit: the C, E on 14th doesn't make sense to me. you are going further west just to go back east.
        Okay, I see what you mean, I did the route at mta.info from williamsburg to the address, and it has me going west passed where I want to be, then walking back east again. Looks like that's the only route though right? Why does the 1 not stop at that point, isn't that intersection also a station?

ps. wow, it took me 3 years to get 100 posts.

Comment

• endersgame
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Speak View Post
          Premature how so? As soon as I get there, I start working immediately. No matter if it takes me 2 months to find where I will eventually live, I'm going to have to stay somewhere for those 2 months. I don't have the luxury of family or friends there, so that is out of the question. I'll probably end up renting something month to month or renting a room from craigslist. Either way, I would like to find somewhere that is convenient to getting to work.
          we can only speculate that you will live in williamsburg, but depending on your credit, budget, cat, dog, time, i don't know where you will end up. so the traveling arrangements to work is sort of a moot point at the moment.

also, working a job full-time and looking for a place to live at night sucks big time. done it before. it wears you down. maybe you should get an agent and pay the 2-month rent fee. at least you will have some piece of mind.

Comment

• Speak
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
            we can only speculate that you will live in williamsburg, but depending on your credit, budget, cat, dog, time, i don't know where you will end up. so the traveling arrangements to work is sort of a moot point at the moment.

also, working a job full-time and looking for a place to live at night sucks big time. done it before. it wears you down. maybe you should get an agent and pay the 2-month rent fee. at least you will have some piece of mind.
            Agreed, having not even been to Williamsburg, I don't know that I would live there either. I was just trying to figure out the best places to live in relation to work.

I'll be flying up to NY in 2 months to check out the different areas, so I wanted to get an idea of where to look, etc. Convenience to work is huge for me, because I cannot afford to ever be late.

Downtown Brooklyn as you suggested seems to be nice as well because there are several different trains I can take right?

Comment

• ddohnggo
              • Oct 2006

dude, use google maps
              Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• endersgame
                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Speak View Post
                Agreed, having not even been to Williamsburg, I don't know that I would live there either. I was just trying to figure out the best places to live in relation to work.

I'll be flying up to NY in 2 months to check out the different areas, so I wanted to get an idea of where to look, etc. Convenience to work is huge for me, because I cannot afford to ever be late.

Downtown Brooklyn as you suggested seems to be nice as well because there are several different trains I can take right?
                where you are comfortable living is totally subjective. there is a huge difference between south williamsburg and cobble hill and the upper west side. you need to see for yourself where you want to be.

you can't trust the subway. at some point you will be late for work. it happens to everyone.

again, when referring to downtown brooklyn, it's where the municipal buildings are. you don't really live there.
                adjacent neighborhoods are brooklyn heights, cobble hill, caroll gardens, boerum hill, fort greene. they are all way nicer than williamsburg and they have all sorts of trains you can take.

Comment

• Speak
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by ddohnggo View Post
                  dude, use google maps
                  You could move to LA and see on google maps that compton and inglewood are close to the LAX, and therefore move there without knowing anything about it.

Furthermore, many people move to Hawaii and move 'near the ocean' not knowing anything about the island, thinking they are getting a great deal. Only to find out that they just bought property in an area that caters only to locals and their house will likely be robbed.

I understand it might be simple to you, but I have never been to new york before, and I would rather take the advice of people who live there, than go by what google maps shows is convenient.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

/\ well, new york is not LA, so use the motherfucking maps, please.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Raw Edge
                      • Jan 2008

this.
                      yasuda still the best, w ushi close second.
                      morimoto, tomoe, j bako, nobu etc are guidebook garbage. also really dislike blue ribbon compared to the real stuff, though its decent.

Originally posted by maldoror View Post
                      jewel bako went down the shitter years ago.

the o.g. chef is now @ 15 East, which is excellent.

though afaik yasuda is still tops

Comment

• diamonds
                        • Dec 2006

my jirlfriend is in ny right now

are there any good consignment shops (helmut lang, yohji, jil sander stuff) for women that i should let her know about? (sorry if i should have just read the thread - didnt know if it was in there)

cheap shops are prefered. hah...

Comment

• mmmmrk
                          • Dec 2009

INA has cool stuff sometimes. At least the men's store has CCP old DH and carpe shit from time to time...

Also, IF basement sale has some women's carpe pieces right now for consignment store pricing...

Comment

• kbi
                            • Feb 2009

top 5 galleries? Perhaps ones supporting upcoming artists? (not the rich dick corner ones with the colorful monochrome crap that makes your granny grinn.)

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
                              • Mar 2007

I'd like to get this fixed at a reweaver. Am in nyc.

Alice Zotta? or French American Reweaving?

Comment

• H-R
                                • May 2007

I'd say it really depends on your luck. I saw a CCP leather jacket once before and if I remember correctly, that got leaked here and the store was immediately flooded with phone calls asking about the jacket. I believe INA has an ebay account as well and I've seen several Ann pieces being put up on ebay...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎