X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thehouseofdis
    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Speak View Post
    I don't even know where to buy snow boots and when I googled them, they look kind of ridiculous. Can someone point me in the right direction?
    This is what I saw everyone wearing. I don't think you need to get fur lined or padded boots like you'd see in a ski lodge, unless you like that look. Rubber boots should do the trick and then you change into good shoes at work. My opinion.
    THE HOUSE OF DIS
    embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• stadsvandringar
      • Aug 2008

To be fair I only see hunter boots on girls.

I'm from southern california and have lived in boston for the last few years, so I was in a similar boat when I first got to the east coast. What you need really depends on how sensitive your feet are to the cold (which you will find out soon enough). You can always layer your socks, or get some insulated boots. I have some insulated red wings that I typically wear in the snow. Tread is a bit more important in Boston because we get more accumulation, but it makes a difference so you don't slip. I think docs work reasonably well too.

As was already mentioned, the combination of snow and salt can mess up leather. I wouldn't invest in anything too crazy that you couldn't live with messing up. I prefer something rugged and made to last with snowy conditions.

The first winter will be the toughest, by the way. You will have no idea what to expect.

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

I think any boots will work just fine, you're not going to the himalayas. but of course, snow, water and salt are not the best for sensitive leather so getting a pair of boots you don't have to worry so much about might be a good idea.

where I live its typically about -10C to -20C during the long winter, I wear the same footwear all year around. the only exception is that if there is a ton of snow or its really cold, I might wear boots with a slightly heavier tread.
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Speak
          • Nov 2007

Thanks guys. I just didn't know if I needed something that water could not penetrate etc. I arrive in NY in two weeks. I have friends here who can get good discounts on snow boots, so I was asking in advance rather than worry about it when it hits.

I guess your pants probably get ruined by the snow/salt too right? I've never had to wear winter weather clothing before, I don't even own a coat.. This is going to be rough!

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

you're pants, shirts, boxers and socks will all be fine unless you roll around on the ground or dive into snow piles. the annoying part is when the snow turns into slush and you need to jump over pdudles, but its still just water and dirt for the most part, it won't kill you. walking around in a rainstorm is much worse than snow in my book.
            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• MikeN
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Speak View Post
              Thanks guys. I just didn't know if I needed something that water could not penetrate etc. I arrive in NY in two weeks. I have friends here who can get good discounts on snow boots, so I was asking in advance rather than worry about it when it hits.

I guess your pants probably get ruined by the snow/salt too right? I've never had to wear winter weather clothing before, I don't even own a coat.. This is going to be rough!
              Rough indeed! You'd better hurry up and get prepared, NYC is gonna get hit HARD with blizzards within the next three months!

Comment

• sshum88
                • Dec 2007

Going to be in NYC Thu - Tues for the International Contemporary Furniture Fair and wonder if there are any interesting events / parties going on this weekend? Also the friends I'm going with want to go dancing...music they like is indi-pop, brit-pop, new wave 80s. Suggestions? In the past, I've been to a few places in brooklyn that play decent music and has a good scene but I imagine places change all the time.
                Originally posted by eat me
                If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Comment

• MikeN
                  • Nov 2007

I'm DJing two different ICFF events this week at the Tribeca Grand. Not sure if they are private or invite only or what. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

/\ Why you no invite zboss?!

I am going to the ICFF - it's fun. And there are like a gazzillion of parties, but I don't know, furniture people, hmmm...
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MikeN
                      • Nov 2007

You're invited! I'll let you know when I know more. They better be including passes in my fee...

Comment

• laughed
                        • Jul 2009

how about a good second-hand store in nyc?

Comment

• MikeN
                          • Nov 2007

Tokyo 7 on 7th Street and Ina on Elizabeth St are the only two decent ones I can think of.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by MikeNouveau View Post
                            You're invited! I'll let you know when I know more. They better be including passes in my fee...
                            Cool!

Laughed, you can also try your luck at Fisch for the Hip.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laughed
                              • Jul 2009

thanks faust and mike. those things are so hit or miss.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

they are, but i've gotten some incredible gems once in a blue moon.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎