X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • t-bone
    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by kirie View Post
    It's the lack of butter/fats in North American breads and pastries that make them so shit (it's the same problem here in Canada). Many places use oils or margarine in their breads, which makes them healthier but also negates that amazing crust out on the outside of a baguette, or the airy, flaky deliciousness of a croissant.

We're far too concerned with health and swearing off those evil saturated fats, and less concerned with how delicious butter makes everything.

Want to make awesome pastries at home? Find a recipe, and then double the amount of butter.

references- home baker for 15 years, taught by my mother who uses more butter than Paula Deen.
    Also this is fucking asinine. You don't use butter (or any fat) in baguette or any good bread. And nobody thinks margarine is healthier than butter, this isn't 1970.

Comment

• kirie
      • Dec 2011

^^
      And although scientifically speaking margarine is complete shit for you, there are still a good number of people who still operate under the misconception that it is better for you. Especially with the amount of supposed "heart healthy" etc margarines that are advertised now adays.

go up to any person on the street and I'm sure a good portion of them will still believe that margarine is a "healthier" option than butter, and many will likely use margarine as a substitute for butter.

I've never made a loaf of bread without butter, and I receive a lot a compliments regarding my breads.. the only problem is, that my breads have to be eaten within a day or they will spoil. (occasionally will keep unproofed loaves in the freezer for a while before baking).

ETA- the bread recipe I use is a ~100 year old family recipe from my great grandmother, which might be why it calls for butter ?? idk. all I know is my bread is fucking delicious
      Last edited by kirie; 01-28-2012, 12:13 PM.

Comment

• mike
        • Dec 2006

i think the croissants at ceci-cela are quite good.
        grandaisy is dope, ever since i moved in the neighborhood i go everyday.
        also, i tried the "DKA" at dominique ansel bakery; it was nice, but overpriced as is the rest of the selection.

Comment

• theseasonofmist
          • Feb 2011

Thank you very much for all the suggestions, Faust, t-bone and mike. I have made a note and will be sure to check them out soon. Finding decent, fresh bread is something I enjoy when I'm travelling.

Comment

• endersgame
            • Aug 2009

• boric acid for roaches. keep your kitchen and bath dry because they need water to survive.

• bread is not integral to the american diet. that's why you can't find good bread here..

• just read this article on nyc private schools. my wife and i better be millionaires when it's time to have kids. although i have friends who attended public and private, both systems are proven to produce degenerates..

www.nytimes.com/2012/01/29/nyregion/scraping-the-40000-ceiling-at-new-york-city-private-schools.html

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

I've got it made. I am just going to move to Finland when the time comes.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mike
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
                • bread is not integral to the american diet. that's why you can't find good bread here..
                this is so true. when ever i eat at a restaurant with my family the servers always seem amused and confused by the amount of bread we consume. домашен леб is always best tho :D

Comment

• mrbeuys
                  • May 2008

Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Johngd
                    • Feb 2009

Probably going to NYC with my girlfriend in May. Anyone knows about some good hotels that is pretty cheap, but still doesnt look like shit? Im low on cash as usual.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

No such thing, AFAIK. Rent an apartment through airbnb.com
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• hommedeguerre
                        • Jun 2009

For any SZ'ers who want to come to my event tomorrow click the image below. Mike Nouveau will be DJing.

Please do try to come! If you don't have Facebook email me at Adam@21Arrondissement.com
                        Le 21ème

Comment

• Chinorlz
                          • Sep 2006

Congratulations on the presentation A!
                          www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• trentk
                            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            In general, bread in America is awful, even now, even in NYC, even if it's made by hippie lesbians in Williamsburg.
                            sig material
                            "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• hommedeguerre
                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                              Congratulations on the presentation A!
                              Thank you!
                              Le 21ème

Comment

• gnow
                                • Jun 2010

Likewise, congrats on the presentation, A.

Sadly, I could only make it if it is on Friday.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎