Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nahneun
    • Feb 2011

you only THINK you don't mind the commute now, but you'll end up hating it. new york rush hour subway traffic is godawful. the stations smell terrible and are disgustingly humid and hot during the warmer months, the subway cars are worse than a can of packed sardines, and you WILL get crushed by the riders. i would say go with the midtown east apartment just for the convenience of taking the 4-5-6 up to your workplace. one less transfer is always a good thing. as for me... thank god for the lirr.

Comment

• darkbydesign
      • Sep 2010

^^Ha. That's what EVERYONE says. Is the 2-point trip that much worse than 1 direct route? No one can say exactly why, but EVERY friend I have says the same thing. For perspective, I'm used to driving in traffic 45 min - 90 min each way to/from San Francisco. I feel like 30 min on the subway with even hot sweaty people wouldn't bother me, but the masses say stay East if I work East. haha Thanks for the advice

Comment

• jskidder1
        • Jan 2011

Both of those neighborhoods would be equally awful to live in, so may as well go with the shorter commute.

Comment

• nahneun
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by darkbydesign View Post
          ^^Ha. That's what EVERYONE says. Is the 2-point trip that much worse than 1 direct route? No one can say exactly why, but EVERY friend I have says the same thing. For perspective, I'm used to driving in traffic 45 min - 90 min each way to/from San Francisco. I feel like 30 min on the subway with even hot sweaty people wouldn't bother me, but the masses say stay East if I work East. haha Thanks for the advice
          driving is infinitely better than commuting on the subway in terms of comfort. if it were easier to park in the city without paying exorbitant parking fees, i'm sure a lot more people would drive. the two can't begin to compare. i mean, when it's not rush hour, the subway system is great and super convenient (though it does not compare to the more modern systems in asia...). rush hour is just that bad. seriously. seriously. bad.

Comment

• darkbydesign
            • Sep 2010

Thanks. I understand, so I'll take that advice. I don't mind the crammed insanity, but do trust that it must be worse than what I've experienced the ten or so times I have tested it out during rush. (I'm sure a bad day is REALLY REALLY bad)

One last question and I'll stop annoying everyone with questions.

What's a realistic definition of rush hour in NYC on the subway?

Does 7am-9am
            and
            430pm-630pm

sorta define it?

Comment

• nahneun
              • Feb 2011

it's much longer. day time rush hour generally starts around 6:00 AM. it generally ends around 10, but of course, the start and end of the day time rush isn't as bad. this will be magnified because the 4-5-6 are the most crowded trains (still better than transferring since you'll have to ultimately take the 4-5-6 anyway).

as for the evening, there are days when rush hour starts at around 3:30. you shouldn't expect to have a decent commute until around 8 or 9 in the night.

Comment

• RORORO
                • May 2010

I would also say midtown east for the shorter commute.

I mean, if you really don't mind the commute, then don't listen to us.

But:

a) in the summer, the longer the commute, the more likely I'm disgustingly sweaty and miserable

b) the closer I am, the more I can sleep in and get to work very quickly.

You're preferences are your own, but I think the extra transfer makes it a significantly shittier commute.

Also, cabs/traffic wise, I think it's easier to get a cab downtown (both finding one and transport time) on the east side than the west.

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by laughed View Post
                  yeah i get it. anything short of. no way.
                  you gotta know how to make patterns. you can't just start sewing stuff.
                  all of these things go hand and hand. you start sewing seams. and you start with sewing things like tunics and understanding how tunics are made. these are simple. then you must learn basic bodice construction. pattern making, draping, etc. without understanding how the garment is made you can't sew it. it's just that simple.
                  jeans are just as difficult to sew as a tailored suit. a suit has more patterns but you can't just hand over a pattern of a pocket and say - go for it. like i said - you want a shi**y garment - yeah, you're right.
                  dedicated student? a few months? let's put it this way - you take a class somewhere for 3 months and go for 2 hours a day, 3 days a week - you're not gonna be sewing a shirt that looks like it came off the rack. maybe your idea of quality differs from mine. student work - yes. something i would actually wear - NO. I don't care who you are - it's not gonna happen.
                  when the question is asked about sewing - it is also asked about patternmaking, draping and other foundation skills. you gotta know it all chief.
                  dude, i feel you. sewing is not easy. not only do you need to understand how to make patterns, but you need to know all about how different fabrics fall, what sorts of adorments and hardware they can handle, and how they will withstand the test of time.
                  http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• Hadrian
                    • Apr 2012

Where do you guys usually get your hair cut?

Comment

• laughed
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by genevieveryoko View Post
                      dude, i feel you. sewing is not easy. not only do you need to understand how to make patterns, but you need to know all about how different fabrics fall, what sorts of adorments and hardware they can handle, and how they will withstand the test of time.
                      exactly. that is why i said sewing a pair of jeans is just as hard as sewing a suit...and i was called absurd. lol
                      sewing denim is much more difficult to sew than any sort of suiting material, and 90 percent of kids with fashion design degrees don't even know how to put rivets on their jeans. ha!
                      hand someone who's only been "sewing" for 3 months 15-20 pattern pieces, a roll of fabric, and a sewing machine. you'll make the most gifted student look foolish and clumsy.

Originally posted by Hadrian View Post
                      shampoo avenue b. grant. go there now!

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Hadrian View Post
                        Look a few pages back.

Can we move the sewing discussion elsewhere?
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laughed
                          • Jul 2009

i'm done with the sewing discussion from this point on. i was pulled back in again. doh!
                          i'm with you, nyc from this point on!
                          i hate sewing anyway.

Comment

• Icarium
                            • Oct 2010

Hi! Now that I'm in NYC I think I'm interested in doing some sunglasses shopping. Earlier in the thread these spots were mentioned: "Sol Moscot, Selima Optique, that place on Orchard near Houston with the 'Double Happiness' symbol in the window"

Are these still relevant recommendations? Any others would be most welcome! I have yet to even figure out what sorts of frames work with my face so I'm basically starting from ground zero.

Comment

• trentk
                              • Oct 2010

I'm sure someone has already posted this, but there's an exhibition on the disfigured body @ moma.

too bad CCP isn't included
                              "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• RORORO
                                • May 2010

Originally posted by Icarium View Post
                                Hi! Now that I'm in NYC I think I'm interested in doing some sunglasses shopping. Earlier in the thread these spots were mentioned: "Sol Moscot, Selima Optique, that place on Orchard near Houston with the 'Double Happiness' symbol in the window"

Are these still relevant recommendations? Any others would be most welcome! I have yet to even figure out what sorts of frames work with my face so I'm basically starting from ground zero.
                                The place on Orchard is Naked Eye: http://nakedeyeoptical.com/

I am a big fan.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎