Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darkbydesign
    • Sep 2010

^Yeah, I figured he had to be a DJ to say that. I DJ'd for 10 years myself during undergrad/grad school, but now just like to dance since it's been part of my life for 16 years now.

I'll just ask around. There seem to be tons of music shows and venues but not a lot of dance music around Manhattan. I'll figure it out over time.

Thx and I'll try Weird Records for more info.

BTW-that's one of the best Portlandia clips ever!

Comment

• jskidder1
      • Jan 2011

I can't help you with clubs, but I can tell you that Home Sweet Home is definitely NOT what you're looking for. It's usually full of hipsters fresh off the L train dancing to Animal Collective in a weird basement room filled with miscellaneous taxidermy...

Comment

• darkbydesign
        • Sep 2010

^^haha. Great commentary with some serious truths....

I liked the random decor, but not the hipsters. *smiles*

Animal Collective........................

Saw Francios K at Cielo, but crowd was sorta strnage. Music was great though.

Comment

• sshum88
          • Dec 2007

In need of some suggestions where I can host a private party/function for a special event. Must have food/drinks and be able to hold about 50-75 people.

Not looking for any of those stuffy chi-chi places. Open to Manhattan/Brooklyn.

Someone mentioned maybe the Counting Room or Bubbys. Thoughts?
          Originally posted by eat me
          If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Comment

• endersgame
            • Aug 2009

Went to Ootoya for lunch (the Denny's of Japan?)

I think this is the best-value for authentic (non-sushi) Japanese I've had in a long time. I ordered a grilled mackerel lunch for $18 and it looked like a $50 meal. Very clean, tasty, fresh, and well presented food in good portions.

Strange, almost everyone dining there was Japanese. I guess they miss their Denny's.

Highly recommended for locals and visitors alike looking for a great meal on a budget.

Comment

• Ochre
              • Sep 2009

I work half a block away. It is always filled entirely with Japanese people.

Comment

• CDG Diffusion Line
                • Dec 2008

denny's in japan is denny's.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Bare Burger is now my go to place for a good inexpensive burger.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ochre
                    • Sep 2009

I'm suffering from a bit of insomnia and since we're on the topic of Japanese food, I might as well mention my favorite restaurant in NY. It is a very small sake bar in the LES that opened a few months ago, Yopparai ("drunkard" in Japanese).

Here is the Times write-up on the place which should win any reasonable person over.

To expand and embellish... It is owned by a husband and wife couple who both work day jobs and started the bar out of their passion for sake. And, as everyone here can appreciate, it is so fucking refreshing to see people do something out of passion for a craft or art. This couple is exactly that. The woman, Christy Shibata, is an Executive Vice President @ NBCUniversal. And yet every night, she is working as a hostess. Everyone, but particularly her, is impossibly kind to each guest and makes sure that you are comfortable and enjoying yourself.

The food is tapas-style and feature a lot of very nice Japanese dishes you can't find just anywhere else. I definitely recommend the salted squid guts with squid ink if its available as the special or the hoba miso. Every dish is painstakingly crafted and beautifully presented (as you'd expect from the Japanese). And the sake selection is absolutely ace, obviously.

The space itself is one of my favorite parts. It's located in a residential building so you gotta go up a flight of stairs and ring a bell to get in. Everything inside is exquisitely and thoughtfully designed yet completely devoid of pretentiousness. And like I said, the staff couldn't be more friendly and welcoming. The music is exclusively jazz, running the gamut of styles. And the crowd is always a very respectful and pleasant bunch. The one downfall are the hours as they close everyday at midnight. But I have talked to Christy who says they're trying desperately to expand hours to 2 on the weekends as well as offer a Sunday brunch with a sake tasting (which sounds phenomenal).

I won't make the claim that it has the best Japanese food in NY or the best value or anything like that. But I've found that far and away, it is the most enjoyable experience of eating a meal I've ever had in NY. It simultaneously feels casual while remaining elegant, upscale, and a great place to hang with friends, bring a date, or go alone and read. I've taken so many people here and each have come away extremely impressed.

I'm within walking distance of the place and have been going once or twice a week since I discovered it. If anyone ever cares to join me send a PM and we can share some drinks.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

That sounds awesome, Ochre.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MikeN
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Ochre View Post
                        I'm within walking distance of the place and have been going once or twice a week since I discovered it. If anyone ever cares to join me send a PM and we can share some drinks.
                        First Good Finds, now the New York thread is turning into match.com!

Comment

• PoubelleMaBelle
                          • Feb 2012

shot in the dark

anyone know of a (good) lithuanian restaurant? craving cepelinai...

Comment

• messenoire
                            • Nov 2009

I am in bushwick and bored, any suggestions?

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Roberta's

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• swami
                                • Jul 2008

Can someone recommend a tailor that is capable of leather overlock sewing in NYC?
                                Tried Chris French but their machine cant handle thick horse leather
                                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎