Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boomslang20117@
    • Sep 2006

Only for EMP and Le Bernardin for dinner and Bouley for lunch.

@faust oh yes of course. I'm intending to try peter luger but they only accept reservations via phone.

by the way would they be having summer sales by then?

Comment

• Anomie
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by boomslang20117@ View Post
      Thanks! What about momofuku? Should i even bother trying to get into KO or ssam? I know they don't do reservations but what are the odds that you are near the neighbourhood? Is the wait for a table terribly long?

Anyway i would be NYC from the 29th May to 15th June. Any upcoming recommended shows would be great :)

So far i have the following on my to do list:

Food:
      emp
      le bernardin
      per se
      daniel
      momofuku ssam bar
      nomad
      momofuku ko
      marea
      jean georges
      bouley

Also I've got the 10 days NYPass and I'm staying at Pulaski Street, Brooklyn
      I think you are going to too many formal places unless that is what you want. There are many restaurants in NYC that are cooking as good if not better than places like Daniel and Per Se that are more casual and a lot less money.

Here is a short list of favorites in all prices ranges:

Brooklyn Fare
      Luksus
      Take Root
      Contra
      Blanca

Some of the above are admittedly difficult to get reservations.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Eaten at Contra once and left unimpressed. A lot these foodie hype places often don't live up to expectations.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• TheDivinitus
          • Jul 2011

What about Blue Hill (https://www.bluehillfarm.com/dine/new-york)?
          Just watched "Chef's Table" docu and liked their approach.
          blog

Comment

• t3hg0suazn
            • Jan 2013

The reviews for Blue Hill didn't seem "that" good. I also watched the Chef's Table episode. It's a nice approach and admirable in theory, but I'm a bit skeptical about how successful it actually comes out taste-wise. Hopefully someone whose actually gone there can comment. I guess the whole fresh ingredient above all else thing feels more European / Californian to me.

Comment

• GucciAmen
              • Sep 2014

Read Dan Barber's (the chef/owner of Blue Hill) novel: The Third Plate - fantastic work on the current situation in the industry.

Comment

• eleves
                • Sep 2012

BK Fare and Luksus are really great. Luksus is especially good cause you can enjoy Torst before and after haha! Faust is right also, if you're going to a restaurant to actually enjoy food in terms of taste and satisfaction (not leaving hungry), and not the crazy or interesting way it's presented or created, it's very very very easy to be disappointed by some of the higher end restaurants here. The upside is, at places in the tier of Daniel, Per se, Jean Georges, etc., regardless of what you eat, you at least know you are eating the highest quality food available. I haven't heard anything positive or negative about Momofuku recently, is it still even good? Any of them? Eleven Madison Park is also another really great place in the high end sector and so is Masa but the latter would probably be difficult to obtain a reservation for.
                Originally posted by Faust
                HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• t-bone
                  • Dec 2009

I've eaten at all the places on your list except Bouley and Marea, pretty good list. EMP is still my favorite high-end spot in the city, and Ssam bar is my go-to mid-tier. The new Ko was pretty great when I went also and their wine program has come a long way. Some other options that I like in South Brooklyn on the cheaper side are Rucola, Battersby, The Pines, Franny's (and if we're getting into pizza, Lucali, and you really oughta make a trek to Difara or L&B if you can).

Comment

• MikeN
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Anomie View Post
                    I think you are going to too many formal places unless that is what you want. There are many restaurants in NYC that are cooking as good if not better than places like Daniel and Per Se that are more casual and a lot less money.
                    seriously, I love chasing Michelin restaurants as much as anyone, but I think I'd go crazy having to eat all of those places in a one week period. Go to EMP and call it a day.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

I enjoyed Contra a few months ago. It is in a great area where you can hop between Contra, Rebelle, Pearl & Ash and The Ten Bells. Eat small plates at a few different places and drink well.... REALLY well.

Heard good things about the new Ko location too and the wine program looks to be truly top notch.
                      www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• thinbuddha
                        • Jul 2011

has anyone tried sevilla in the west village? spanish restaurant i'm taking my girl to this week and curious if anyone has been.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

I hope she doesn't dump you.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jskidder1
                            • Jan 2011

surprised no one has mentioned estela. i've had several meals there recently and it's consistently excellent.

Comment

• Cantara
                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by thinbuddha View Post
                              has anyone tried sevilla in the west village? spanish restaurant i'm taking my girl to this week and curious if anyone has been.
                              I've been there a couple of times. If you go you should try the shrimp Ajillo

Comment

• ES3K
                                • Oct 2008

Just heard that FAO Schwarz's legendary NYC store is closing. Not that I've been there often, or in NYC, but it makes me sad.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎