X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PUCK
    • Feb 2016

Originally posted by jurassicsnark View Post
    Yeah... I moved away from NYC in 1999. It's still wonderful and still fun, but definitely different than it was back then (but then again, I am also old now).
    Yes, because we definitely can't ignore the old cliche that we will say, like every generation before us, that it's not the same, but the thing is, it really isn't, and man you got out right in time, because post 2001 was when the "shopping-mall-ness" Arkady mentioned really got a head of steam and fucked everything up.

I might be alone in this, but I blame Giulianni's night club policies for a large part of the damage. I think the laws were called "cabaret" policy or something along those lines, this lead to a huge amount of the small venues, including art galleries, that supported the culture of NYC to collapse.

I might be mistaken but I believe the law essentially made it completely cost prohibitive to host live music or art performances for all the smaller (read: independent) venues.

Today things are picking up though, and people have since found ways around some of those regulations, or they've just been lax about enforcement, it'll turn around at some point, it always does.
    Last edited by PUCK; 03-03-2016, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
      Really? I asked my accountant and she told me I just pay US tax on income abroad. Not the country tax and US tax.

Depending on the situation down the road, I don't have a problem giving up my US citizenship.
      Arkady is right. There was an article on this on BBC recently.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by PUCK View Post

I might be alone in this, but I blame Giulianni's night club policies for a large part of the damage. I think the laws were called "cabaret" policy or something along those lines, this lead to a huge amount of the small venues, including art galleries, that supported the culture of NYC to collapse.
        You are not alone. Plus what Arkady said, but that affects culture in general more than the NY club scene. Resistance is futile, everything will be sponsored.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Arkady
          • Apr 2011

I'm in the ludicrous position of only getting US citizenship in December after a 23 year political asylum case.

Can't really drop that on principal.

Comment

• jurassicsnark
            • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
            I'm in the ludicrous position of only getting US citizenship in December after a 23 year political asylum case.

Can't really drop that on principal.
            Wow. No. I guess not.
            I am hoping our next move will be to Europe, but we shall see. My partner is a dual US/Australian citizen, and we'll likely get married if we choose to live abroad. I am not opposed to giving up my US citizenship in theory, but the truth is that I am a giant sucker for convenience... I just got back from Helsinki, and I have to say it's really easy to travel for me right now.

Comment

• Arkady
              • Apr 2011

On a less grim note, just signed the lease on my first 'adult' apartment near the water in Long Island City -- very excited! Anyone else in this lovely / strange area?

Comment

• eleves
                • Sep 2012

LIC is a cool area and it's going to be amazing in the summer! Enjoy it! I'm hoping to move to Astoria or LIC this summer!
                Originally posted by Faust
                HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• NOHSAD
                  • Nov 2014

LIC has a lot of interesting spots while being quiet and relaxing (especially being at the water plaza). Who knows I might run into you at some point .
                  "Instead of feeling alone in a group, it's better to have real solitude all by yourself"

ShopDDavis.etsy.com

IG: @D.__Dvais

Comment

• drexl
                    • Sep 2006

Hey guys,

I'll be spending a week in the city (April 4 to the 11th) with the missus and we were wondering if anybody has recommendations for exhibits, shows or events going on that you recommend?

Also, any must-do new restaurants and bars? We're doing the Nomad Hotel, Momofuku Nishi, Roberta's for pizza and possibly Mission Chinese. Bar-wise we're going to try and hit up PDT, Death & Co and the Dead Rabbit.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Too bad you'll be missing the Berlinde De Bruyckere exhibit by two days. Maybe see the new Whitney and the Met takeover of the former Whiteny Breuer building? Haven't been to either.

I really don't see the point of schlepping to Bushwick just for pizza, Roberta's or not. Besides, Bushwhack fucking sucks - it's just a bunch of ugly warehouses full of hipsters. Otherwise the list looks solid.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Peasant
                        • Jul 2009

Agree with E about Bushwick. Roberta's is mostly hype at this point. Since you're open to traveling to BK for pizza, go to Paulie Gee's in Greenpoint. Short walk from all the Bedford ave bullshit (stop by Idol) and you get a rad view of the city from the water at the end of Greenpoint ave.

New Whitney is def worth it. Cram in some obligatory high-line selfies with the other Euros while you're at it.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Drexl is Canadian :-)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• porthidium
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            Too bad you'll be missing the Berlinde De Bruyckere exhibit by two days.
                            Ah, that show is exquisite. Left me breathless.

---

New Whitney is very nice - especially the outdoor terrace when the weather is nice. Great to look out on to the water, sit for a while, etc.

---

Mission Chinese is rather overpriced and not really worth it.

I'd trek to Vinegar Hill House if you end up in Brooklyn and want a great view of the Manhattan skyline from Dumbo.

---

coffee @ Happy Bones on Broome st in Soho / Little Italy
                            Salt and Pepper Pinenut Ice Cream from Morgenstern's on Rivington St
                            smoked salmon cream cheese bialy @ Russ & Daughters

---

Yes, I'd skip Roberta's too. Get the Halloumi Cheese Sandwich at Newtown - friends from London/out of town/etc are never disappointed. Coffee from AP Cafe in Bushwick or Sweatshop in Williamsburg.

Donuts from Peter Pan Bakery in Greenpoint
                            @porthidium_

Comment

• blackdeath
                              • Apr 2016

has anyone got to see patti smith's 18 stations at the robert miller gallery?

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

No. It's on the list but I keep forgetting about it. Have you seen it?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎