• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by DRRRK View Post
    Faust, please allow me quote myself: "electronic artists release some astounding records". That, for me who does not always want to split hairs, means they are great musicians or composers or whatever. They make great music! Also, keyboards and synths have not only knobs, but also KEYS, that the three of DM play, which is a huge difference to that video I posted, which is showing a SOLO artist in a live setting.

Seriously, it's embarrassing.

Edit: Thanks CJ. It's not that hard, is it?
    You are right, I was really answering upsilon, while quoting your post, since I don't really bother reading what you write anymore.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DudleyGray
      • Jul 2013

So I guess you guys aren't all that into performances of classical piano sonatas. I mean it's just a guy pushing buttons and who knows if he's even playing or if it's just a player piano?
      bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• cjbreed
        • Feb 2009

forget it Dudley you're out of your element

dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• DudleyGray
          • Jul 2013

Whatever, I know more musics than you.

Comment

• Shucks
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post

at what point in this video is he not spinning a record or twiddling a knob, except for when he is standing around

just the entire genre due to its inherent nature of the sound itself being 100% computer originated. the change in energy you feel at a show comes from the crowd, not the performer.

there is a soulful element that is impossible to achieve with EDM.

i also kind of don't give a fuck.

then i matured. i got older. i gained experience. i learned more about music, and its roots, and its foundations. i learned to appreciate more and judge less and it made my life easier and richer.

the fuck are u smoking...

Comment

• cjbreed
              • Feb 2009

that post makes no fucking sense whatsoever. i never said i didn't appreciate it. i am not issuing a judgment, i am offering an observation. an interpretation. these are not the same thing. in fact, what i am trying to do is have a discussion. a conversation.

again, you are taking offense where none was intended.

its so easy to offer a snarky nonsensical off the mark irrelevant unrelated reply than to actually engage, isn't it? it really helps reinforce that superiority complex and that fragile self image doesn't it? if you don't say anything you can't be told you're wrong. and if you're dickish and brief you can still look kind of cool right?

i am open to discussion. i am not issuing proclamations. when i said i don't give a fuck, thats what i meant. the opposite of what you think i meant. i meant that i don't feel that strongly about it either way. that its possible i am wrong. that its all valuable, and to each his own.

but i am tired of your prissy bullshit.

you look great wearing rick owens designs, but is that where it ends with you?
              Last edited by cjbreed; 05-08-2014, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                • Jul 2013

its so easy to offer a snarky nonsensical off the mark irrelevant unrelated reply than to actually engage, isn't it? it really helps reinforce that superiority complex and that fragile self image doesn't it? if you don't say anything you can't be told you're wrong. and if you're dickish and brief you can still look kind of cool right?
                Oh, just like your last response to me, heh.

Comment

• cjbreed
                  • Feb 2009

i feel the snarkiness was dealt out appropriately in that case....

dude, it was a total joke. i even put a smiley. and its completely obvious that no one holds the opinion you claimed. i mean come on, man.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                    • Jul 2013

Sorry, mine just now was a joke too. I just don't like using smilies, so I wrote "heh." You are cool, shucks is cool.

Comment

• PandorasFate
                      • Apr 2014

Let me tell you a quick story. I took both music theory and perspectives in high school. I can read music. I can write it down. Play it? Well, I tried flute. I tried guitar. Both AWFUL. I sold both and bought turntables and a groovebox when I was 18. I taught myself how to spin vinyl. I sampled stuff with the 505 and made new shit out of it. I could get cooler, weirder noises out of those two things than I ever could an "instrument." People liked my noises and paid me to play them. I still spin vinyl. It costs a fucking fortune to buy and I still make weird noises with it rather than being DJ Doubleclick out of whatever nouveau tech for laptops is out there. Mostly because I'm old and don't trust a laptop for a performance.

If you want to use a laptop. Go ahead.
                      If you want to play guitar. Go ahead.
                      If you want to hook up a vocoder and a wahwah pedal to a guitar and run it through an Sp12 and sample Rakim over it, knock yourself out.
                      You are still a musician. You make new sounds out of old.

The rejection of that idea is the classic diatribe of people who don't think DJ's are musicians and ascribe their editorial judgement to their maturity and clarity of vision without ever having had to stand in front of a room full of people and make them dance. It's like being naked in your dreams, where everyone stands poised to mock you.

What any of this has to do with the musician wearing a knockout fit of Paul Harnden, et al., is beyond me, but I thought that's what this thread was for. I like Marco Carola's outfits. I like what Collete wears. Matthew Stone is Gareth Pugh's personal music minion so I'm sure he has some pretty outfits. I'm a grumpy old Graver that likes house music, so I'm pretty sure that grants me authority on jack squat.

(this is a totally good natured post, I'm just very sarcastic. )
                      Last edited by PandorasFate; 05-08-2014, 12:58 PM. Reason: you can't hear my tone of voice
                      “Budget the luxuries first.”
                      ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• cjbreed
                        • Feb 2009

i appreciate your good natured post. and everything you said goes perfectly well with everything i said. with the exception of one little tiny jokey thing, nothing that i said was ever meant to be a judgment of the music or the talent but rather a personal observation of the live experience. thats all. the problem that crops up here and elsewhere is that people don't read, they skim. and some people are just itching for an opportunity to put themselves on a pedestal rather than just talk like a normal person.

Comment

• endorphinz
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2009

I'd comment but it's been said that I listen to music the same way a blind man appreciates an art museum.

btw,is golf a sport?

Comment

• PandorasFate
                            • Apr 2014

i appreciate your good natured post. and everything you said goes perfectly well with everything i said. with the exception of one little tiny jokey thing, nothing that i said was ever meant to be a judgment of the music or the talent but rather a personal observation of the live experience. thats all. the problem that crops up here and elsewhere is that people don't read, they skim. and some people are just itching for an opportunity to put themselves on a pedestal rather than just talk like a normal person.
                            Nod, nod. The prevailing winds of DJ's that blew in to the music community and play pre-recorded sets in closed off booths really put kinks in my chain. No pedestal here, I've just borne witness to a bunch of jokers who get dished out upwards of 10k a night for pressing play and act like assholes, and local talent barely getting a comped a bar tab for live PA's which involved months of prep and gear lugging. /endsandybuttrant

sorry. I promise I'm not a jerk.
                            “Budget the luxuries first.”
                            ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• upsilonkng
                              • May 2010

Subscribe for music production tutorials!Please do not re-upload this video!Like I promised: FLstudio - How To Make Orchestral Music Tutorial!https://www.you...

Comment

• 550BC
                                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by upsilonkng View Post
                                a fish out of water dies

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎