X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ian+
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Lohikaarme View Post
    Well most metal styling was based off Judas Priest's Rob Halford. His outfits were largely inspired by gay bars and leather culture.
    You are wrong.
    Metal styling depends on the sub genre mainly. Thrash Metal was heavily inspired by Punk, white high tops, skinny jeans, belts full of bullets. Black Metal was one of a kind. Death Metal was based on Thrash. Heavy / Power Metal bands took different directions in terms of styling. Halford's outfits were indeed inspired by gay bars but I can hardly recall band members dressing like Halford. Maybe Kiss, mostly due to the excessive use of leather but Kiss were more 'theatrical' in terms of concept.
    ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

• Lohikaarme
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by ian+ View Post
      You are wrong.
      Metal styling depends on the sub genre mainly. Thrash Metal was heavily inspired by Punk, white high tops, skinny jeans, belts full of bullets. Black Metal was one of a kind. Death Metal was based on Thrash. Heavy / Power Metal bands took different directions in terms of styling. Halford's outfits were indeed inspired by gay bars but I can hardly recall band members dressing like Halford. Maybe Kiss, mostly due to the excessive use of leather but Kiss were more 'theatrical' in terms of concept.
      I mean sure, death metal and Florida metal was largely influenced by the environment (i.e. it's cool, so long sleeve tees are best) but most of it can be traced back to Halford.

Though perhaps I'm looking at it through an incorrect lens. Combat boots were widely worn for the purposes of having a long-lasting footwear for poor band members and they... well, it looked cool. I've always seen the tight black leather and spikes of black metal to be an extension of Halford's influence. Sure, the huge spikes and weapons were an attempt to be severe (esp. with Norway's 2nd wave of black metal), but as far as I know, Halford was basically the guy who brought leather in general (even if only through stage costumes) to metal.

Comment

• upsilonkng
        • May 2010

i guess by ur estimation this song is probably about Halford then...
        everyone that's ever been bad or portraying bad has worn leather.. from Conan the barbarian to Brando to fonzi, i don't believe any one person dressed an entire genre... that's fuckin silly

Comment

• Lohikaarme
          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by upsilonkng View Post
          i guess by ur estimation this song is probably about Halford then...
          everyone that's ever been bad or portraying bad has worn leather.. from Conan the barbarian to Brando to fonzi, i don't believe any one person dressed an entire genre... that's fuckin silly
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy_Clys4ul4
          About? I have no clue. I doubt there are Halford tribute songs out there. However, I believe that Halford generally influenced the first wave of heavy metal as a genre in terms of wardrobe. Otherwise we might still be floating around with Twisted Sister's idea of the most masculine thing possible is looking as feminine as possible (somewhat of a quote?) by crossdressing.

There's a difference between a leather jacket and a leather outfit, and even more from a leather outfit and one with studs and spikes.

The general look was to be a "bad boy" and a rebel, however, that's the message the general public took from Halford. There's also the difference in the utility of how one might dress (i.e. Brando portraying the motorcycle rider) to doing it purely for the aesthetic (Halford being a leather daddy).

Looking at images of Halford in his stage gear and looking at current black metal artists... they look pretty similar. Again, one may be more "leather daddy" and the other might be more "krieg" but they look pretty damn similar.

I don't think one man dressed an entire genre per se, but he was the one that took metal's obsession with spikes/studs and leather to its extreme.

And again, this wanes and waxes. Thrash loved their white hightops and nowadays wear converse and skinny jeans and a lot of the changes were very much influenced by geography. Nowadays many bands don't do much more than combats + jeans/cargos + some sort of tee (Alestorm). Of course there are many "costume" bands (like Turisas) and they are obviously influenced by their ideas of a warrior in the songs they sing. I would argue, however, that the bands that dress in full leather are influenced by Halford's choices.

Comment

• ian+
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Lohikaarme View Post
            I mean sure, death metal and Florida metal was largely influenced by the environment (i.e. it's cool, so long sleeve tees are best) but most of it can be traced back to Halford.

Though perhaps I'm looking at it through an incorrect lens. Combat boots were widely worn for the purposes of having a long-lasting footwear for poor band members and they... well, it looked cool. I've always seen the tight black leather and spikes of black metal to be an extension of Halford's influence. Sure, the huge spikes and weapons were an attempt to be severe (esp. with Norway's 2nd wave of black metal), but as far as I know, Halford was basically the guy who brought leather in general (even if only through stage costumes) to metal.
            This
            +
            There were a ton of bands wearing leathers before Halford did, sorry. It's rather simplistic to say that only one person is the inspiration of the whole movement, especially when this movement has come through different stages with different influences applying to each stage.
            ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

• Aska
              • Feb 2013

[QUOTE=Sergey Seven;459723]Adam "Nergal" Darski of BEHEMOTH in russian prison wearing RO leather

Do you know why Nergal is in a russian prison? Really liked their latest album

Comment

• gawkrodger
                • Jun 2013

they're out now. Visa 'issues'

The Polish group, who released their album The Satanist earlier this year, are to be deported midway through their tour

Comment

• Fresh5
                  • Feb 2013

Asap rocky has a little sz style with a mixture of hypebeast

Comment

• bukka
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Fresh5 View Post
                    Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• Fresh5
                      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by bukka View Post
                      Lol I agree

Comment

• Monoral
                        • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Fresh5 View Post
                        ASAP style is random as heck, but lately it's mostly HBA???

Comment

• Fresh5
                          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Monoral View Post
                          ASAP style is random as heck, but lately it's mostly HBA???
                          Yeah it's pretty random. He wears surpreme, pigalle, givenchy, etc but he also wear raf simons, rick owens and ann demeulemeester.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Please, make this stop.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• bukka
                              • Sep 2011

Seriously, where is this people coming from? Forum is full of Trolley lately.
                              Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• Fresh5
                                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by bukka View Post
                                Seriously, where is this people coming from? Forum is full of Trolley lately.
                                Excuse me

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎