• Sep 2008

B-b-b-benny and the Jets

www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Farkhanyassin
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by mesko View Post
      Haha, because Muslims are usually up to "naughty shit"?
      Hey!

No, because I am usually (sometimes?) up to naughty shit.

I've got an hour left to eat before my 12 hour fast starts. Looking to lose my belly this month. Last year I lost 2 kilos and an inch of waist without exercising at all during the fasting month. With a bit of working out this year, we'll see.
      MOSLEM PRIEST

Comment

• mesko
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Farkhanyassin View Post
        Hey!

No, because I am usually (sometimes?) up to naughty shit.
        Glad to hear that. The hatred toward the Muslim community is increasing worldwide so I became rather upset.

Comment

• Sombre
          • Jan 2009

I've had a headache for the past four days, and I rarely get them. I don't have migraine, and I don't use anything frequently enough to develop dependence. It's time to see a doctor.

On another note, is it my imagination or is the phrase "there are" disappearing from the English language?
          An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
          I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Fade to Black
            • Sep 2008

There are is a tongue twister; I can see it being gradually obliterated from common use due to difficulty in achieving a convincing and comfortable execution.
            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• mesko
              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
              On another note, is it my imagination or is the phrase "there are" disappearing from the English language?
              I feel that the linguistic knowledge of the whole world is deteriorating.

Comment

• Sombre
                • Jan 2009

FtB, haha that's possible. When I say it it normally comes out like "ther'rrr".

Mesko, I'd love to agree with you, but I'd be crucified in my circle if I did. I'd say it's not deteriorating per se, but changing in unexpected ways. In this specific case, it seems that "there is" in the contracted form of "there's" is being re-analyzed as a single word, as it appears in other languages, to the exclusion of the plural form. There's an interesting article about the subject if you're bored and have lots of time on your hands.

Comment

• mesko
                  • Nov 2009

FtB, haha that's possible. When I say it it normally comes out like "ther'rrr".

Mesko, I'd love to agree with you, but I'd be crucified in my circle if I did. I'd say it's not deteriorating per se, but changing in unexpected ways. In this specific case, it seems like "there is" in the contracted form of "there's" is being re-analyzed as a single word, as it appears in other languages, to the exclusion of the plural form. There's an interesting article about the subject if you're bored and have lots of time on your hands.
                  Yes, of course (the English) language is evolving, but I think it is becoming more boring. People use less interesting words, and where several words have the same meaning, in most cases only one is used, etc. So yeah, maybe the linguistic knowledge isn't deteriorating, but its usage is.
                  On the other hand, I really enjoy afro-american slang, haha.

Edit: Thanks for the article. Perhaps I will take time to read it after I finish my short essay on city planning.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

I've had a headache for the past four days, and I rarely get them. I don't have migraine, and I don't use anything frequently enough to develop dependence. It's time to see a doctor.

Have you been drinking enough water?
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

I feel that the linguistic knowledge of the whole world is deteriorating.
                      Ask Jogu.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Sombre
                        • Jan 2009

Yes, of course (the English) language is evolving, but I think it is becoming more boring. People use less interesting words, and where several words have the same meaning, in most cases only one is used, etc. So yeah, maybe the linguistic knowledge isn't deteriorating, but its usage is.
                        True. Performance isn't the same as knowledge, as Tarzan shows.

I agree with you. Many words are overworked to the point where they lose their impact. "Nice" is a perfect example. I suppose it depends, in part, on people's daily interactions. Overly formal or descriptive speech when you're talking to the butcher about the meal you prepared from his cuts can make you seem pretentious. If you've ever watched the sitcom Frasier you'll know what I mean. Frasier is very articulate, but he comes off as pompous to the people around him.

In the grand scheme I suppose it's quite circular (we have to sound plain so people don't ostracize us, they sound plain because other people are plain), but the social aspects can be compelling. I do agree though that rather than collectively lowering our standard, we should be raising it. I guess SZ is one of my outlets .

Comment

• jogu
                          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          Ask Jogu.
                          lol wtf

Comment

• Sombre
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            Have you been drinking enough water?
                            I think so. I've been exercising less due to the headache, so I haven't been losing as much water as usual. I went to Jamaica last week and ate food from street vendors, so it's possible I picked up a bug or something (even though in my experience they're usually clean). At this point it may not be serious, but I just want to know what the cause is.

Comment

• mesko
                              • Nov 2009

I went to Jamaica last week and ate food from street vendors, so it's possible I picked up a bug or something (even though in my experience they're usually clean).
                              I like how they speak there, too, ha!

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by jogu View Post
                                lol wtf
                                i rest my case!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎