Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BECOMING-INTENSE
    • Jan 2008

Finally somebody brings out a whip around here.

Ups, I mean crop!
    Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
    Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BSR View Post
      is it the same distinction as the one between writing and literature? it may be a matter of words only, but i don't think there is anything more exciting to me in the meanings that people usually attach to the word 'fashion' than to 'clothes'. 'fashion' refers either to a business/industry or to the zeitgeist of a time, including its clothing preferences. in this sense someone like altieri (every time i write this word i sense masugnen will appear and ask for something, so i try to be careful) would certainly prefer making clothes than fashion. i guess that to you it refers to something different, the fact that with some designs, there is something more than the functional side, even if the essence of these designs is to drape the human body. but this something more isn't easy to define, right?
      lol at magunsen. he's like the SZ gossip columnist.

Fashion is not easy to define - I had a lot of fun in my class once with just that question. To me what differentiates it from clothes that most importantly fashion is creative, in a sense that there is something more at play than just quality garment construction and fabric, but aesthetic ideas, cultural ideas, concepts, etc. etc. I am not interested in what the bourgeois on Madison Ave wear (unless it's Lanvin. )
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Skye X
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        Is there anyone here who is good at designing business cards?
        Hi Faust, yes, I'm a graphic designer. Do you need some cards done?

Comment

• lowrey
          ventiundici
          • Dec 2006

dude.
          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
            dude.
            <palmtoface>
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
              • Jan 2008

Nothing wrong with those, if you are into that kind of thing. There is clothes, and there is fashion. To me RL and Hermes are not fashion.
              Hermes, at least, seems to have firmly committed to fashion. They hired Gaultier, who is only now leaving. They do seasonal collections. They may not be something I much care for, or have much interest in, but they certainly seem to be fashion to me. I'm curious why you don't consider them such?

Ralph Lauren I know nothing whatsoever about.
              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

You could make a good case that RL used to be fashion when it started out.

I think Hermes hired Gaultier and does runway shows as a marketing tool. So, yes, they have the trappings of the fashion house, but it's still the same bags, gloves, ties, and scarves that do the job. By the way, I am not trying to belittle it - I have utter respect for craftsmanship, tradition, etc.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

Thanks for the clarification, makes perfect sense.
                  Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• BSR
                    • Aug 2008

lol at magunsen. he's like the SZ gossip columnist.

Fashion is not easy to define - I had a lot of fun in my class once with just that question. To me what differentiates it from clothes that most importantly fashion is creative, in a sense that there is something more at play than just quality garment construction and fabric, but aesthetic ideas, cultural ideas, concepts, etc. etc. I am not interested in what the bourgeois on Madison Ave wear (unless it's Lanvin. )
                    hehe not easy indeed, since the first part of your definition refers to the creation process, and the latter to the consumer attitude/mindset...
                    why not say that there is fashion, in the 'noble' meaning that we're after, either:
                    1/ when the designer puts a new idea into the piece he's designing (as opposed to a rule-following traditional method)
                    2/ when the wearer's motivation is his fantasy (as opposed to a rule-following conventional behavior)
                    pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                    Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• kunk75
                      Banned
                      • May 2008

yes, we do collateral all the time.

Comment

• laughed
                        • Jul 2009

i do as well. my company charges a butt load but if you want to pm me what you need i'll do a couple designs for you for free and can recommend a good printer...just tell me what you need on the card and the details, etc. i pride myself on being a typophile so i have a ton of great, rarely seen and used fonts.

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by BSR View Post
                          hehe not easy indeed, since the first part of your definition refers to the creation process, and the latter to the consumer attitude/mindset...
                          why not say that there is fashion, in the 'noble' meaning that we're after, either:
                          1/ when the designer puts a new idea into the piece he's designing (as opposed to a rule-following traditional method)
                          2/ when the wearer's motivation is his fantasy (as opposed to a rule-following conventional behavior)
                          c'mon BSR, there is more to fashion than your 1 and 2

http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Thanks, everyone. Let me explore all these options.

BSR, I suppose that's true, but usually 1 and 2 are connected. People of a certain mindset or esthetiic inclination (not always, of course) tend to gravitate to, say, Comme des Garcons - quite often in order to signal their connection to Rei's creative mind.

But I cannot think of some meaningful way of wearing a Hermes belt with that H buckle (a best-seller among the Sephardic Jews in my neighborhood) or a Birkin beside it signaling your wealth and social status.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• whitney
                              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                              God Bless Whitney, I hope you aren't right. As for me, for some reason I have the same suspicion for myself...
                              i hope so as well!

maybe it is just the past two months..i hope your suspicion is wrong but like i told my friend when you hit rock bottom you've hit rock bottom..and everything from there is up.

problem is not knowing whether you've hit rock bottom truly, or just the mind, and when you think things can't sink any lower you find that you were really somewhere in the middle.
                              you stole my signature :insert mad face:

Comment

• laughed
                                • Jul 2009

spike lee uses WAYYYYY too much music in his movies.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎