Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skye X
    • Oct 2010

I'm in LA from now until Monday night. Is anything cool going on? Any members care to meet up for lunch/dinner? merz, upsilonkng, etc?

Comment

• Sombre
      • Jan 2009

Thanks Faust and Kuugaia. Kuugaia, I was out for a ride with someone from the safety course I took to get my license, and he led the way into a tight reverse curve. I took the first one too fine, then decided I should slow down for the second before I killed myself. I ran it a little wide and found sand and gravel waiting at the outside of the turn. I hit it, and down I went. I had no time to process what was happening. Just leaned over one moment, then sliding on my butt the next.

It sounds bad, but I'd say don't let horror stories like mine deter you. If you wear the right equipment there are many crashes that you can simply walk away from. Unfortunately I wasn't wearing racing boots, but you can bet they were the first thing on my list after the crash.

All of this is if you crash in the first place. I know riders who've never crashed in 800,000 km of riding. It depends to a large extent on how you approach it.
      An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
      I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• kuugaia
        • Feb 2010

^ Shit, hopefully you didn't suffer any permanent damage from the injury. And very lucky that you were riding with somebody at the time. I actually have a few friends that are really into riding and they got me interested in it. So I started reading up on safety and it then began to take the leisure out for me. The helmet, the jacket, the gloves, the boots, and even spine protection. I don't know if I would want to fully suit up all the time, especially if I was actually using riding as a means to get from A to B. Hate to in all riding gear at a restaurant or something. So I'll probably get into it later in my life, when there's more leisure cruising time.

Comment

• Sombre
          • Jan 2009

I don't think the damage will be permanent. I dislocated my ankle pretty badly, but I'm still making progress in physical therapy, and I got up to 24 km/h yesterday, which is about 3/4 of my maximum speed, so I think I'll be fully recovered in another three months at most.

I know how you feel about suiting up taking the leisure out. I managed to find an armored jacket that doesn't scream motorcycle jacket, and my boots I'll throw in my saddlebags then change into normal shoes at my destination. Same with my pants (they fit over regular pants), although I admit I don't always wear them. I should though; they saved my skin in the crash.

Touring is a lot more fun than commuting though. Less traffic to deal with. www.advrider.com will get you hooked on wanting to tour based on the photo section alone. There's some great scenery out there, especially in Australia.
          An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
          I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• kuugaia
            • Feb 2010

In addition to what you've said, another thing that is annoying for me is that I would have to put in contacts if I was to ride - and I hate contacts. My friend had an Arai helmet and some friends were playing around with it when he wasn't there. As you can probably guess, the playing around led to somebody dropping the helmet on the ground from head height....sucks that helmets are disposable yet so expensive.

Yeah going on a motorcycle cruise with mates is just awesome, totally jealous. I was on the back of some motorcycles in Cambodian countryside a few years back, and it's definitely a great feeling. Actually...almost 10 years back now...damn time flies.

Comment

• interest1
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post
              Oh man...I imagined it. I feel bad for laughing now...I hate you interest1.
              Oh ok, hate the messenger. When all the blame rests in the hands of this man.
              The right hand, to be exact.

sain't

Comment

• michael_kard
                • Oct 2010

HAHAHA.
                ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

lmao. off to facebook it goes...
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Crowzer
                    • Feb 2011

I will buy some.

Comment

• syed
                      • Sep 2010

Although they did kinda lose it with that ice hockey match or whatever.
                      "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• tron
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by syed View Post

Although they did kinda lose it with that ice hockey match or whatever.
                        Hah, that whole situation was ridiculous. At the time I was living only a few blocks away from where it all kicked off / was in the crowd while it started. It was really 95% just people observing and taking pictures and a very small group of people looting / smashing stuff. It was an interesting experience to see my city explode like that but very sad as well.
                        "I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion."

Comment

• Patroklus
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post
                          In addition to what you've said, another thing that is annoying for me is that I would have to put in contacts if I was to ride - and I hate contacts. My friend had an Arai helmet and some friends were playing around with it when he wasn't there. As you can probably guess, the playing around led to somebody dropping the helmet on the ground from head height....sucks that helmets are disposable yet so expensive.

Yeah going on a motorcycle cruise with mates is just awesome, totally jealous. I was on the back of some motorcycles in Cambodian countryside a few years back, and it's definitely a great feeling. Actually...almost 10 years back now...damn time flies.
                          You can wear glasses, just slide em on after you put on your helmet. Your friend's friends owe him a new helmet. He owes them a whuppin'.

Comment

• Lane
                            • Aug 2010

in my opinion

Comment

• zamb
                              • Nov 2006

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Patroklus
                                Banned
                                • Feb 2011

The occupiers were invited by the Davis Faculty Staff Association.
                                18 November 2011 Open Letter to Chancellor Linda P.B. Katehi Linda P.B. Katehi, I am a junior faculty member at UC Davis. I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of English, and I teach in th…

Even if they weren't, nonviolent protest is not something that you confine to a free speech zone or cease when someone asks you to. That would accomplish absolutely nothing.

The officers in this video have broken the law, and siding with them is pretty repugnant.
                                PREGERSON Circuit Judge ORDER With the filing of the Amended Opinion the panel as constituted above has unanimously voted to...3d118511303

Wall Street committed fraud and then rewarded themselves for it with nearly ten trillion dollars in taxpayer money. If you're really going to side with them over Occupy Wall Street then I'm baffled with your lack of self respect.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎