X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

/\ He has a point, I must say. You can easily go nuts thinking about the complexity of contemporary Western life and the amount of guilt that goes with it, which can make you blow your fucking brains out, David Foster Wallace style.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• endorphinz
      Banned
      • Jun 2009

no one says you should forget anything but most need to choose their battles

Comment

• rider
        eyes of the world
        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
        no one says you should forget anything but most need to choose their battles
        at least we have the option, animals really don't.

i'm going to eat my [unvegan] words and post some unbelievably good stella mccartney pre fall shoes in the womens footwear thread.

Comment

• stagename
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by theconsumer View Post
          Shock tactics rarely works long term where it matters. There was a study where they showed people shocking images of rotten teeth. These images didn't stimulate the viewers to improve their dental hygiene, just the opposite. They couldn't handle the graphic message, so they started avoiding everything connected with it, including brushing teeth.

Same with shocking images of cruelty towards animals: people just repress them and continue in their old ways.
          I would love to see this study. I'll just make a few precisions from a rather general claim toward shockvertising.

From what I know in shockvertising, there's a threshold effect where people can't "handle the graphic message, so they started avoiding everything connected with it, including brushing teeth. Same with shocking images of cruelty towards animals: people just repress them and continue in their old ways." This is probably linked to reversal theory and optimal arousal. That is, shockvertising is OK within a certain limit, but if you cross that limit you'll leave ppl either too gross out, or you'll create such a schism in their self-concept that they'll prefer not to process whatever you show them (between other possible explanations).

So it is a more complex issue than "shocking people turn them off". Shockvertising can be quite useful. Dahl (2003: Does it pay to Shock? Reactions to Shocking and Non-Shocking Ad Content among University Students), when studying the effect of shock in regard of norms without gory/sexual/etc content, found that "shocking content in an advertisement significantly increases attention, benefits memory, and positively influences behavior among a group of university students." Death and sex seem to generally lower the appreciation of an ad (Sabri and Obermiller 2010).

Comment

• interest1
            • Nov 2008

Dedicated to self-saboteurs, everywhere.

Top 5 Regrets of the Dying

sain't

Comment

• soulshui
              • Nov 2011

Originally posted by interest1 View Post

Comment

• diorowen
                • Aug 2010

Gosh, I respect Japanese culture where people tend to think about others first instead of their self.
                still trapped in my juvenile state

Comment

• Chant
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2008

Originally posted by diorowen View Post
                  Gosh, I respect Japanese culture where people tend to think about others first instead of their self.

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                    • Mar 2009

I shrunk my Dick in the washing machine.....fits bette now :p
                    merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• Peasant
                      • Jul 2009

..shrinkage.

Comment

• Peasant
                        • Jul 2009

I think it's more about taking said shrunk item and it drying out... off.

Comment

• Dane
                          HAMMERTIME
                          • Feb 2011

^ I have absolutely no idea what is contained in that link. ???
                          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• tron
                            • Dec 2010

it's a Japanese masturbation aid - game kind of thing. Essentially a fleshlight that you plug in to your computer and that link was about a program that keeps uhhhhh.... stats..
                            "I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion."

Comment

• michael_kard
                              • Oct 2010

Can't wait to upload my wank stats on twitter to compare with those of my friends...
                              ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                              Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎