Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjbreed
    • Feb 2009

also, i just watched this louis ck bit in my office and laughed til i cried. tears. i have done this exact thing. oh man its so true and so funny...

dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• MJRH
      • Nov 2006

i think kunk's point about digital shit-talk is a good one. always a bit harder to remember to be kind to strangers than to personal acquaintances.

a bit late, but tracked this bugger down:

Intellectual laziness and the hurry of the age have produced a craving for literary nips. The torpid brain ... has grown too weak for sustained thought. There never was an age in which so many people were able to write badly. (1891. "grammar nazi" wasn't even a thing yet.)

The art of pure line engraving is dying out. We live at too fast a rate to allow for the preparation of such plates as our fathers appreciated. If a picture catches the public fancy, the public must have an etched or a photogravured copy of it within a month or two of its appearance, the days when engravers were wont to spend two or three years over a single plate are for ever gone. (1892. hello instagram?)

The existence of mental and nervous degeneration among a growing class of people, especially in large cities, is an obvious phenomenon ... the mania for stimulants ... diseases of the mind are almost as numerous as the diseases of the body... This intellectual condition is characterized by a brain incapable of normal working ... in a large measure due to the hurry and excitement of modern life, with its facilities for rapid locomotion and almost instantaneous communication between remote points of the globe... (1895)

Our modern family gathering, silent around the fire, each individual with his head buried in his favourite magazine, is the somewhat natural outcome of the banishment of colloquy from the school ... (1907)

We write millions more letters than did our grandfathers, but the increase in volume has brought with it an automatic artificial machine-like ring ... an examination of a file of old letters reveals not only a remarkable grasp of details. But a fitness and courtliness too often totally lacking in the mechanical curt cut and dried letters of to-day. (1908. people are rude, alack.)

and more, via xkcd (quotes are real, see google books).

did you skim cause this was too long? i sure did.
      ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• Ahimsa
        Vegan Police
        • Sep 2011

^ I always read it all :P

On a Louis CK note, I saw him last week at Mood when he was buying fabric with his daughters for some project they wanted to do...it was adorable.
        StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• mrbeuys
          • May 2008

tl;dr
          Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• endorphinz
            Banned
            • Jun 2009

this is art...

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

/\ Nice indeed. But no one will ever beat Kovalev in terms of stick handling. That was pure magic.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cjbreed
                • Feb 2009

i think i just determined my least favorite 2 word combination - parasitic worm.

ok have a great day guys!

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                  i think i just determined my least favorite 2 word combination - parasitic worm.

ok have a great day guys!
                  ^

Funny, in my profession, it's pretty hard to have ten convos without this very word combination coming up. I wish we would have been told about the extra-curriculars that come with the job before we committed, you know, decades to it.

Fortunately, my family was so FOB (fresh off the boat to the uninitiated) that annual family dewormings were just a fact of life, despite the fact that we were in the US by then.

OK change subject.

Cars: Faust, bad interiors can dig at you much more than you'd expect. My first car, purchased because I was too tired to try any more cars (I'd gone to the dealership expecting to buy a Jetta, decided that it handled too cheaply, chose a used Mercedes and left with a new '99 Audi A4 which I may or may not have bothered to test drive.) I loved it -- the size specifically. The transmission died the week the warranty expired, but they switched it for me, natch. Then I lived out of the country and loaned my car to someone who kept it outdoors in Cambridge, MA for two winters. This rusted the underside, preventing access to some key parts underneath the chassis, which lead to it's death 13 years later, with 75k miles on it. This is when I realized that I had no business buying this car and that it was actually for people who are rich enough to lease and trade every couple of years. Did I learn my lesson? Nah.

I then got a Volvo S40 with my ex -- loved it, but not the dash design. We split, and he got the car, whatever. I'm not going to fight over a car. I was planning to buy the same, but then I saw an S60 with much more agreeable interior color coordination. And I ended up at that dealership because the salesperson came to my apartment to pick me up to go to there. (They also pick up my car for maintenances and return it to my garage. I'm that lazy, ahem, busy that it was a huge selling point.)

I know that was a really ugly view into the workings of my mind. I hope my candor can at the very least help someone figure out how to sell more cars?

MBD
                  "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                  It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                  My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• Lane
                    • Aug 2010

i cant stop laughing at your avatar cjbreed lol

Comment

• cjbreed
                      • Feb 2009

its early grandpa simpson. and i laugh every time i look at it.

Comment

• endersgame
                        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by MetroBulotDodo View Post
                        Fortunately, my family was so FOB (fresh off the boat to the uninitiated) that annual family dewormings were just a fact of life, despite the fact that we were in the US by then.
                        haha, does this mean you use to rock Giordano, short shorts, flesh colored tights and ankle boots? post them in what you were wearing yesterday...

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
                          haha, does this mean you use to rock Giordano, short shorts, flesh colored tights and ankle boots? post them in what you were wearing yesterday...
                          I WISH -- you are talking waaaaay too designer for us. K-mart unisex stuff that could then be handed down to my poor brothers?

Makes a girl get creative!

I'll post some photos -- stuff that I swear will be worth it -- on the strict condition that you post photos that capture some of your Taiwan Zuoying Liu Mang style, Gugci and Dolce and Gabbabba and all, in the same thread.

sweetly,
                          MBD
                          "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                          It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                          My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• endersgame
                            • Aug 2009

sorry, my FOB pics are all gone from my last purge, including the ones where my aunt decided to perm my hair (i was 12)

nobody's every going to see them, ever...

Comment

• endorphinz
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                              Kunk's reference to perforated bowel is right up there.... pun intended

love the Darius Rucker one. Kid Rock's is also funny... actually all of the Kimmel "mean tweets" on the tube are entertaining

Comment

• snafu
                                • Apr 2008

I'v never got tablets... ok they a smaller than a laptop, but really don't people who normally have a tablet have smartphone? if not surely a smartphone would be more beneficial if you had the choice. So the portable size thing im not sure i understand, if you travel somewhere where you feel the need to bring a tablet a laptop really isn't much bigger. I hate typing on a screen, it probably because i am so used to a laptop. I understand tablets in a commercial setting like a showroom or retail space, maybe even a school, but i would rather see a child typing on a physical keypad. Hey they sell loads, i understand why they exist.

But am i alone in thinking when i see someone on a tablet i think wanker?

I understand the kindle more, due to weight & size of actual books when travelling. But i dislike them also: due to the romantic quality of an actual book.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎