X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

As someone who is typing this on his iPad from Heathrow, I agree that typing is a pain in the ass. iPad is not a production device, it's a consumption device. Where it comes in beneficial is reading. It's especially great if you do carry it around - I have my Dickens, my New Yorker and my BBC and my NY Times in one place that weighs less than a hardcover copy of David Copperfield. And if I want to browse SZ on the couch, it's much more comfortable than a laptop.

P.S. It's also amazing if you have Apple TV. You can stream everything from your iPad onto your tv, in HD no less.

I think iPads had wanker status when they first came out, but they have become legitimate tools that do certain things better than other devices.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shifts
      • Jul 2013

I agree on the whole post, except this:

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      P.S. It's also amazing if you have Apple TV. You can stream everything from your iPad onto your tv, in HD no less.
      That is certainly not true. The YouTube wankers keep blocking most good quality things, treating both the Apple TV and iPad as mobile devices. More often than not I find that videos are not streamable from that site to Apple TV.

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

I'm not too keen on tablets either, mainly because of what Faust said, they are not production devices. We have one, but my daughter uses it 10x more than I do

if you read much, its definitely handy because reading long texts on a smartphone gets annoying... otherwise, I do everything on my phone, if theres something I can't do on it, I'd need a laptop any way.
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• croatoan
          • Jul 2007

My iPad was my first "smart" device which I got about 2 years ago. I got a very old iPhone only within the past 5 or so months and that was because a friend gave it to me for free when my old phone finally broke. I don't have any sort of proper data plan on the phone and prefer to use it for interneting(?) as little as possible. I have a laptop but don't like to carry that around. If I am going to be somewhere where I might need to use the internet quickly and conveniently, the iPad comes along. It's lighter than the laptop and it's easy to just bring it out to use quickly while I am standing. Plus I am not killing the precious battery on my old phone.

The iPad's camera and microphone are also really amazing. As obnoxious as the image of it is, I do use it for recording shows and stuff pretty often. Whether by video or just sound. I promise, however, I am not the guy holding it over his head in the middle of some standing audience.

I guess if I had a much more recent phone, the iPad might be less useful; but I prefer to keep internet/computer things and waking life as separate as possible.

Comment

• mrbeuys
            • May 2008

Originally posted by croatoan View Post
            I prefer to keep internet/computer things and waking life as separate as possible.
            That's a great approach to happiness if you can afford it. Although you are probably not sleep-posting.
            Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• bonejelly
              • Jul 2008

[/QUOTE]

Comment

• Arcane
                • Jul 2008

I actually enjoy that the iPad isn't a productive device. 90% of my work is carried out in front of a computer so I basically use the iPad for all the casual stuff like reading, browsing the internet and so on. If I use my laptop it turns into a work situation within minutes and I end up sitting longer than planned/needed. There's also the question of speed and size, obviously it's easier and more convinient to carry a tablet around than a laptop when traveling.

While I have a smartphone I don't use the 'smart' features that much. Basically I use it as a phone with extra functionality, writing emails and so on. Browsing the internet on a smartphone is a pain in the ass, not to mention reading.
                Label me landlord, I keep k's in my hand

Comment

• Magic1
                  • Jan 2011

Not sure where to put this, but randomness is as good as anywhere I think.

I'm trying to find a thread or post about an article (within the last year) about how people have sort of out sourced the decision making process about what is cool, what they like, etc. Referenced some classic experiments and ideas like how wine experts can't really tell the difference between expensive wine and not-so-expensive wine, class stuff from bourdiou, if I remember correctly, etc.

Thanks for the help

Comment

• MJRH
                    • Nov 2006

here y'are

A snob is conceited not with a feeling of his own worth, but because he knows someone who possesses worth
                    —Gombrowicz
                    ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• Magic1
                      • Jan 2011

Thank you! My irrelevant post may now be deleted and we can return to ipads

Comment

• Lane
                        • Aug 2010

people who take photos with ipads are obnoxious and annoying, but asides from that who cares. Worst part is I bet their logic is they are framing a better picture cuz it has a huge screen lol

Comment

• Magic1
                          • Jan 2011

It looks like they are trying to shield themselves from the object or view in front of them.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

It's really fucking annoying at fashion shows. There is always that one person doing it...
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MJRH
                              • Nov 2006

^how's it different than a camera!? unless, as would be genuinely annoying, they're somehow blocking your view..?

people who complain of an annoyance are themselves annoying in inverse proportion to the annoyance in question.—discuss?

full disclosure: don't have any ipad. prefer my ebook reader. do have an (internetless) iphone.
                              ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Obviously they are annoying because they are blocking your view.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎