X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shucks
    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
    my wife is brazilian and yesterday on the way to thanksgiving dinner she said "i'm sorry but american thanksgiving food sucks. you just take a dry flavorless bird and shove dry stale bread up his butt. then for sides you just pile up the carbs."

well...in her accent it was really funny.

i know brazilian (portuguese) and colombian (spanish) accents aren't the same, but this is the randomness thread anyway.

Comment

• cjbreed
      • Feb 2009

bbaaaahahahaha oh my god its funny how similar they are...
      dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• interest1
        • Nov 2008

cjbreed - you deleted your "Do you have an accent? question just as I was about to answer it.

In short, I suppose it depends on who you ask and where you ask it.

If I'm in an English-speaking country other than the one I live in, of course I do! And that would likely apply if I was in your neck of the woods, right? Of course everybody knows it's really you Southerners who "talk funny".

Then we have the time I complimented mrbeuys's accent, to which he swiftly replied, "I don't have an accent, YOU do!", in turn warranting my "No I don't. YOU do!!!" retort.
        And so it went.. I still can't remember who won.

Personally, I don't think I have an accent. But I can roll my "R's" upon request. ;)
        sain't

Comment

• endorphinz
          Banned
          • Jun 2009

The turkey causes drowsiness cuz of tryptophan is really a myth. Carbs are the culprit.

Turkey meat and drowsiness[edit]
          See also: Postprandial somnolence#Turkey and tryptophan
          A common assertion is that heavy consumption of turkey meat results in drowsiness, due to high levels of tryptophan contained in turkey.[50][51] However, the amount of tryptophan in turkey is comparable to that contained in most other meats.[17][51] Furthermore, post-meal drowsiness may have more to do with what else is consumed along with the turkey and, in particular, carbohydrates.[52] It has been demonstrated in both animal models[53] and humans[54][55][56] that ingestion of a meal rich in carbohydrates triggers release of insulin. Insulin in turn stimulates the uptake of large neutral branched-chain amino acids (BCAA), but not tryptophan (an aromatic amino acid) into muscle, increasing the ratio of tryptophan to BCAA in the blood stream. The resulting increased ratio of tryptophan to BCAA in the blood reduces competition at the large neutral amino acid transporter (which transports both BCAA and aromatic amino acids), resulting in the uptake of tryptophan across the blood–brain barrier into the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF).[57][58] Once in the CSF, tryptophan is converted into serotonin in the raphe nuclei by the normal enzymatic pathway.[53][55] The resultant serotonin is further metabolised into melatonin by the pineal gland.[10] Hence, this data suggests that "feast-induced drowsiness"— or postprandial somnolence — may be the result of a heavy meal rich in carbohydrates, which, via an indirect mechanism, increases the production of sleep-promoting melatonin in the brainQ

I didn't make turkey this thanksgiving (made a lasagne to donate to the family food pool) but I do make a rather succulent bird breast several times a year. My trick is to have a water reservoir in the roasting pan,put the breast on a rack and roast covered in a foil tent...the meat roasts and steams.... comes out very moist and tender... I never even need to baste
          but occasionally check to see if water needs to be added to the reservoir.

Btw:lasagne was made with chopped turkey breast

Comment

• blackfedora
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
            The turkey causes drowsiness cuz of tryptophan is really a myth. Carbs are the culprit.

I didn't make turkey this thanksgiving (made a lasagne to donate to the family food pool) but I do make a rather succulent bird breast several times a year. My trick is to have a water reservoir in the roasting pan,put the breast on a rack and roast covered in a foil tent...the meat roasts and steams.... comes out very moist and tender... I never even need to baste

Btw:lasagne was made with chopped turkey breast
            You speak the tryptophan truth. Also your cooking technique is tried and tested at my place, where we perform the same water reservoir and foil turkey hat routine. IOn my experience though, the most important aspect of the whole turkey debate is probably the source of the turkey. Store bought ones (like chicken) are pretty devoid of flavour to my palate because of the hyper growth regime that they are on and that they are tailored hybrid species that can produce a tremendous quantity of breast meat. At my place we usually get one from a local farm of a friend who raises "heritage" breeds that are smaller and take a lot longer to raise, but the meat is immeasurably better. The drawback off course is having to do some of the butchering and feather removal manually, it helps work up an appetite though.

And Faust, we eat the same stuff on thanksgiving, but maybe we add a little maple syrup or Screech if you're from the east coast.

Also thanksgiving was a month a half ago up here north of the border.

Comment

• endorphinz
              Banned
              • Jun 2009

I didn't know tootsie pops come in banana flavor. They are delicious.

"In 2002, sixty million Tootsie Rolls and twenty million Tootsie Pops were produced every day."

NYC pro sports could be @ an all time low.

random enuf?

Comment

• theetruscan
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
                ...I didn't make turkey this thanksgiving (made a lasagne to donate to the family food pool) but I do make a rather succulent bird breast several times a year. My trick is to have a water reservoir in the roasting pan,put the breast on a rack and roast covered in a foil tent...the meat roasts and steams.... comes out very moist and tender... I never even need to baste
                If you use chicken/turkey broth instead of water, you get a great base for making a gravy (if you want to). Also, foil tent to start, then taken away can let the skin crisp up.
                Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• casem
                  • Sep 2006

Favorite part, the term "performer craftivist".

Art takes many forms, from detailed oil painting to a vagina carved out of soap. But just a warning for the squeamish or the easily offended, this is a perio...
                  music

Comment

• cjbreed
                    • Feb 2009

its a pretty robust area.

boy, i'll say
                    dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Staton Viguier
                      • Jan 2008

Comment

• interest1
                        • Nov 2008

^ my vote for most excellent post.
                        sain't

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

I think I am going to buy a CD this weekend...
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• snafu
                            • Apr 2008

Comment

• Glasshands
                              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              I think I am going to buy a CD this weekend...
                              You did what now

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

True story.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎