Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shisou
    • Sep 2014

With the American right raring for war and ever more rabid since "Christians" were targeted by ISIS, peacenik "liberal" holdouts playing down the threat of ISIS and attempting to display the complexity of the situation are an unwanted irritant to both the right and ISIS.

What better way to convince the cultural left that ISIS is truly "depraved" and "barbaric" and must be "militarily engaged" ASAP than a PR vid highlighting wanton destruction of invaluable cultural artefacts?

Comment

• shisou
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      That's not the point. Show me videos of American soldiers breaking statures with hammers in the name of Christianity, and then we'll talk.
      I see. The point, then, is not the destruction of cultural artefacts but rather the ideology that justifies such destruction.

Comment

• Shucks
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by shisou View Post
        With the American right raring for war and ever more rabid since "Christians" were targeted by ISIS, peacenik "liberal" holdouts playing down the threat of ISIS and attempting to display the complexity of the situation are an unwanted irritant to both the right and ISIS.

What better way to convince the cultural left that ISIS is truly "depraved" and "barbaric" and must be "militarily engaged" ASAP than a PR vid highlighting wanton destruction of invaluable cultural artefacts?
        i was thinking exactly the same when i saw the traction that this story got. it's scary to think that an emotional response to the destruction of some ancient artifacts should dictate ANY military involvement, much less in a region as complex as where this is all taking place.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by shisou View Post
          I see. The point, then, is not the destruction of cultural artefacts but rather the ideology that justifies such destruction.
          No, the point is that all destruction is deplorable, but you are somehow excusing the ISIS barbarians by saying that the American barbarians supposedly did the same thing, so then that makes it OK? Will you also pin the destruction of the Buddhas by the Taliban in Afghanistan on the Bush administration? I will caution you against selective reading in replying to my posts - I have very low tolerance for willful misinterpretation.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
            i was thinking exactly the same when i saw the traction that this story got. it's scary to think that an emotional response to the destruction of some ancient artifacts should dictate ANY military involvement, much less in a region as complex as where this is all taking place.
            Yes - also the Bush administration blew up the twin towers so they can invade Iraq and Zeitgeist is the truest documentary that was every made.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shucks
              • Aug 2010

haha no no i'm not saying it's a fake or anything. i just see how it can conveniently be referenced and amplified by warmongerers in the way that was described above. yes this type of reprehensible action (and many much much worse) carried out by ISIS create a moral obligation upon the global community to respond. but how to respond needs to be decided through much more careful deliberation than what 'feels' right - taking in some learnings from iraq and considering the longer term, for instance. anyway, international security policy is not my forté so i'm gonna bow out of this discussion...

Comment

• shisou
                • Sep 2014

Just to clarify, as it seems meaning may have been impeded by the weight i placed on brevity and style: i was in no way suggesting that the footage from Mosul was some "conspiracy"---(something Shucks understood from the outset.) Rather, what I was pointing to was the seeming intent guiding what is sometimes referred to as ISIL's "slick marketing" and calculated "escalation". Obama's tempered and careful statements have hardly appeased the fanatically fuelled brain trust behind ISIL's PR campaign. They don't want the context in which their organisation arose and came to flourish to be understood. They want to be declared an irredeemable entity of evil. In that sense, their little vid has been a great success.

furthermore, i aint being on some "anti-american" trip. my reference to the last two incursions into Iraq was just for historical context regarding cultural destruction. As far as my very limited knowledge on the matter extends, it was not the "evil Americans" who destroyed and looted back in 91 but the Iraqis themselves---the bombing of Iraq providing them with the conditions to make this possible--and again in 2003 it was largely reported that it was predominantly at the hands of Iraqis. And no, I am not trying to imply that this was all some master plan the US admin of the time had in mind from day one. give people the conditions and..........

To sum up, destruction of cultural artefacts with such importance to telling the story of "civilisation's history" is NOT COOL, no matter who does it!!!
                But knee-jerk reactions, moral handwringing, or Hollywood-style narratives of supreme virtue vs. irredeemable evil hardly help bringing about workable solutions.

"I have very low tolerance for wilful misinterpretation".
                Luckily you are not alone on that. But, of course, it is your forum so you can ban me if you like.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

So, the Bjork exhibit at the MoMa is getting killed by the reviewers.

My review here

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• eleves
                    • Sep 2012

So, the Bjork exhibit at the MoMa is getting killed by the reviewers.

My review here

http://www.sz-mag.com/news/2015/03/bjork-at-moma/
                    Very well written, E. I don't think I'll be visiting the exhibit haha
                    Originally posted by Faust
                    HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Thanks. You won't miss anything.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• eleves
                        • Sep 2012

http://www.businessinsider.com/zoola...rFTvyc9toTh933

Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson walk Valentino as Zoolander and Hansel
                        HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

OMG, OMG, OMG!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

I wonder when will tit-baring starlets, ass-shaking singers, and beauty bloggers will stop throwing the word "feminism" around?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• eleves
                              • Sep 2012

OMG, OMG, OMG!
                              hahaha, not necessarily amazing or mind blowing but definitely an interesting way to announce the follow up to a fashion model movie!

As for feminism, I'm all for equality and whatnot and I'm totally against anything negative towards women but it's honestly reaching levels of utter ridiculousness. I read a rant the other day about a woman standing up for herself because someone looked at her on the train, and that looking is sexual harassment now???? It seems that a lot of people truly don't have a grasp on what feminism is and what positive things feminism actually strives for. It doesn't aim to debilitate all men on the planet in any way possible but it seems that is the mindset that many have nowadays

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎