• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by MonaDahl
    I think that is a reductive reading of the book. I would never venture to say that Lolita is ABOUT pedophilia. The plot is, but the conflicts and ideas at the center of the book? No way. Lolita is about time, missed opportunities, the nature of love, the nature of manipulation, the blurriness of reality...but not pedophilia. Nabokov might've chosen any number of other vehicles through which to demonstrate his point. He chose pedophilia. The "immoral conflict" is nowhere near the center of the book. It is a peripheral device that might've easily been substituted with another.

Haha, incredible. It's not a reductive reading of the book - it's a part of the book, the central part. If anything, all the other stuff is peripheral. You are concentrating on the beauty of SS uniforms while they are burning a village.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• casem
      • Sep 2006

I don't read as much as I should but two books that have had a huge impact on me are L'entranger by Camus and The Problem of the Soul by Owen Flanagan.
      music

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by MonaDahl
        I am wondering why you think this. Where in the subtext of the book is there commentary about pedophilia? Where is the moral ending? Why is Lolita dead, and not HH? What is Quilty supposed to have to do with any of this, why is Lolita both innocent and complicit, why do we give a damn about Annabel Lee? More questions to come, but I'd like to hear your reasoning for this assumption other than the fact that it is a central plot device
        If it had a happy ending, would that make as great of a novel? What ending would you offer? HH is going to jail, maybe for life. But moreover, his guilt is killing him. He tried to buy his redemption, if you remember, by offering to finance Lolita's family life. Quilty clearly shows the degree of crime Humbert Humbert has committed, if Lolita chooses to get away with him. Lolita's death, I don't know - because Nabokov is Russian - we couldn't have it any less fucked up way. She does die at childbirth though - it's not like she commits suicide. Annabel Leigh is an impetus for his lure towards nimphettes. Don't forget, although HH builds himself into a sympathetic character, he doesn't view himself as one. He knows exactly what he did.

But anyway, that wasn't my point. What I was saying is that the morality of the play is the central part, and I don't know how you can say that reading is reductive, when you are concentrating on things that are peripheral - isn't that a more of a reductive reading?!
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
          I don't read as much as I should but two books that have had a huge impact on me are L'entranger by Camus and The Problem of the Soul by Owen Flanagan.
          Dude, you gotta read Camus's The Fall - so much better than The Stranger, IMHO.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• destroyed
            • Nov 2006

I don't know that you can compare the two. The Fall is all internal, whereas the Stranger is completely opaque on that front... all exteriority, I guess, except for like the last page. The Judge-Penitent business in the The Fall is totally essential to navigating this world, in my opinion, whereas The Stranger is like a handbook to just failing at life.
            broken mirror, white terror

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

I guess I did not mean to compare the two in a sense that you compare two things of similar nature. I just like the self-consciousness of the Fall, and I've rarely seen a more fitting title for a book. The book is like vertigo, you know you are doing something terrible to yourself and yet you are doing it. So human.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• destroyed
                • Nov 2006

I'd like to have a tea party with Jean-Baptiste Clamence (had to google his name, I admit) and Dostoyevsky's Underground man. Maybe play a bit of Twister.

Comment

• casem
                  • Sep 2006

I have and I agree (I think I've read everything Camus). The Stranger had a greater impact though because it was my introduction to Camus in hishschool and at them time exploring existentialism confirmed many ideas I had recently been forming.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  Dude, you gotta read Camus's The Fall - so much better than The Stranger, IMHO.
                  music

Comment

• Real Real
                    • Feb 2007

Somebody called Lolita Nabokov's "love affair with the romantic novel". Nabokov's response was "the substitution of 'English language' for 'romantic novel' would make this elegant formula more correct". Nabokov also wrote "My private tragedy, which cannot, and indeed should not, be anybody's concern, is that I had to abandon my natural idiom, my untrammeled, rich, and infinitely docile Russian tongue for a second-rate brand of English".

I agree - the pedophilia is just a plot device.

Comment

• laika
                      • Sep 2006

I'm not really satisfied with interpretations that divorce "plot devices" from aesthetics....it seems like a rather dated approach to literary criticism, no?

I have to say that Lolita is also one of my go-to books when i am writing, although for different reasons. The sheer genius of the prose
                      ( as well as the pain of the story) consistently compel me. I also love the audio book as read by Jeremy Irons.

ps. all this lolita talk reminds me how much i miss dbc, with whom i once had a good debate about this book!
                      ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Real Real
                        • Feb 2007

Reading Lolita makes me consider my own desire for immortality and ecstatic experiences and the choices involved in pursuing those things (more I think about it, the more it seems like really good choice for this thread).

The fact that HH's crime is pedophilia fits the story, but I don't think it's interesting in itself. I mean, what, do you think that Lolita has a moral and that that moral is that you shouldn't sleep with little girls?

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by laika View Post
                          I'm not really satisfied with interpretations that divorce "plot devices" from aesthetics....it seems like a rather dated approach to literary criticism, no?

I have to say that Lolita is also one of my go-to books when i am writing, although for different reasons. The sheer genius of the prose
                          ( as well as the pain of the story) consistently compel me. I also love the audio book as read by Jeremy Irons.

ps. all this lolita talk reminds me how much i miss dbc, with whom i once had a good debate about this book!
                          I miss DBC too. The ironic thing is that I had a debate with him along the same lines and I was on MonaDahl's side in a way :-). It was something different though, we were talking about HH's character, I think.

Real_Real, I think the main point is just that - that it's so easy to like HH, because he is an intelligent, witty, charming... pedophile. I think Lolita's morals is a moot point - she's an adolescent.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• destroyed
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
                            I have and I agree (I think I've read everything Camus). The Stranger had a greater impact though because it was my introduction to Camus in hishschool and at them time exploring existentialism confirmed many ideas I had recently been forming.
                            Yeah, plus, there's the F'ing CURE song to drive it home!
                            (I guess The Fall was named after The Fall, so I guess that is a pretty good association, too.)

Comment

• Real Real
                              • Feb 2007

Have you read Pale Fire? How do you think HH compares to Kinbote?

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

I have not. Lolita is the only Nabokov work I've read. Pale Fire is on the list though.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎