Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mamaboy
    • Mar 2008

"...heaviness is in the air of russia...light things,light-hearted things do not survive,do not belong there....like fashion,like gay life..."
    who said that? is it really true?
    but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
      • Jan 2008

The New is not a fashion, it is a value.

- Roland Barthes
      Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
      Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

/\ Ann for me. I used this quote in my masters thesis.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

yes, IF you think about it. that's the trouble with most people...
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Johnny
            • Sep 2006

I think about it SHITLOADS, and I've never felt like that :(

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

you, my friend, are a closeted Buddhist!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

I think you missed my point. One of the main teachings of Buddhism is that you have to experience the moment, only when you quiet your mind and become attuned to reality moment by moment, you will appreciate it. And that road you speak of is comprised of these moments, that what makes "the wonderful journey" you speak of.

The idea that Buddhism is selfish - where did you get that from?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

I am absolutely convinced that Buddhism is an integral part of material society in the East. More on that later.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mamaboy
                    • Mar 2008

people in fashion business are very prone to buddism....fits ego perfectly .... its just yo mind... there is not even god.. just u

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by mamaboy View Post
                      people in fashion business are very prone to buddism....fits ego perfectly .... its just yo mind... there is not even god.. just u
                      There are no problems or conflict for Buddhists to believe in
                      god, they do believe in celestial beings, it's just that they are
                      not sufficient in freeing you from earthly suffering.
                      Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                      Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• mamaboy
                        • Mar 2008

diane vreeland ...:"you should work like a nigger to make any money in fashion"...

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Resurrecting this fantastic thread. I find the entry from Kafka's diaries below pretty interesting - I think it explains why (some if not most) people pretend that they don't care about how they look.

But while I thought I was distinguishing myself - I had no other motive than the desire to distinguish myself and my joy in making an impression and in the impression itself - it was only as a result of giving it insufficient thought that I endured always having to go around dressed in the wretched clothes which my parents had made for me by one customer after another, longest by a tailor in Nusle. I naturally noticed - it was obvious - that I was unusually badly dressed, and even had an eye for others who were well dressed, but for years on end my mind did not succeed in recognizing in my clothes the cause of my miserable appearance. Since even at that time, more in tendency than in fact, I was on the way to underestimating myself, I was convinced that it was only on me that clothes assumed this appearance, first looking stiff as a board, then hanging in wrinkles. I did not want new clothes at all, for if I was going to look ugly in any case, I wanted at least to be comfortable and also to avoid exhibiting the ugliness of the new clothes to the world that had grown accustomed to the old ones. These always long-drawn-out refusals on the frequent occasions when my mother (who with the eyes of an adult was still able to find differences between these new clothes and the old ones) wanted to have new clothes of this sort made for me, had this effect upon me that, with my parents concurring, I had to conclude that I was not at all concerned about my appearance.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• endersgame
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by mamaboy View Post
                            diane vreeland ...:"you should work like a nigger to make any money in fashion"...

met diana vreeland's son a few years ago. he's a buddhist monk ordained by the dalai lama.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                              • Sep 2008

lol i know they probably spring from different contexts, but reading your post including the quote preceding it, in that order is pretty funny.
                              www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• laika
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                                Resurrecting this fantastic thread. I find the entry from Kafka's diaries below pretty interesting - I think it explains why (some if not most) people pretend that they don't care about how they look.
                                It's fantastic, but I really do wish I had the context this time...what does he mean by giving it "insufficient thought?" It almost contradicts the painful self-consciousness of the passage.

Some wise words from Lord Chesterfield:

The difference between a man of sense and a fop is that the fop values himself upon his dress; and the man of sense laughs at it, at the same time he knows he must not neglect it.
                                ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎