X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ahimsa
    Vegan Police
    • Sep 2011

/\ I am not a fan of CG for movies/anime. I remember seeing it start popping up randomly in motion scenes, like helicopters in Ghost in the Shell: SAC, and it took me out of the show and really bothered me. The most troubling one I've seen as of late is the new Berserk OVAs as they are contrasted with really good animation and pretty bad CG. Dated anime I can get into because it has this cool animation feel to it, like the moving art in NausicaƤ, whereas dated CG can look horrible (Reboot gets a pass). I just don't want to see anime take the same fate as Disney (granted I'm not into Disney but you get my point).

I'm not aiming to start a debate or anything, rather just voicing my fear of the art of drawing disappear. This is actually why I love Guillermo del Toro so much, because he prefers animatronics and practical effects over CG.
    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Crowzer
      • Feb 2011

I whatched Space Pirate Captain Harlock yesterday. Really enjoyed it and the visual is truly splendid. First time I watch Harlock so I don't know if the 2013 movie is like the previous movies, series.

Comment

• eleves
        • Sep 2012

Finally finished Fullmetal Alchemist! It was so good, definitely one of the better animes I've seen in a while. I was kinda disappointed though when I found out that the movie is another story set before the anime's final episode as opposed to an actual ending or continuation of the story after the last episode. Oh well, going to start Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood soon
        Originally posted by Faust
        HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• e0d9n0b5
          • Dec 2013

Outbreak Company is really good, parody of anime tropes while still being a good enough story on its own. EXTREMELY funny.

Comment

• 550BC
            • Jan 2013

I stopped watching a lot of anime series when I got frustrated by the amount of bullshit fillers they use just to fill up their episode list...I often watch some classic old or new anime movies instead of shows/series, but I must say I can watch AKIRA over and over again, that shit is my childhood sentiment and the best anime I ever watched, also I love the manga and the sketches etc..fucking brutal, for people who are interested I recommend the book AKIRA CLUB (art book)
            a fish out of water dies

Comment

• Ahimsa
              Vegan Police
              • Sep 2011

I just started reading Katsuya Terada's The Monkey King...it's in full color and the artwork is absolutely amazing. It's basically an extremely gory and brutal version of Journey to the West.

^(the artwork inside looks just like the cover above)^

Comment

• SuE
                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Resonkuken View Post
                Watching "Kill la Kill". I felt a slight connection with FLCL, at least from the animation, the way they fight and people hit and thrown around like itĀ“s saint seiya. Pretty cool.
                Did you watch the whole season? I was a bit let down by the ending
                One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

• eleves
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
                  I just started reading Katsuya Terada's The Monkey King...it's in full color and the artwork is absolutely amazing. It's basically an extremely gory and brutal version of Journey to the West.

Looks good! Ever since the 6th grade when I first read a version of Journey to The West, I've been interested in all interpretations of the Monkey King.
                  HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• SuE
                    • Jan 2013

Ping Pong the Animation is the first to catch my eye from the newest season releases
                    One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Ahimsa
                      Vegan Police
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by 550BC View Post
                      I stopped watching a lot of anime series when I got frustrated by the amount of bullshit fillers they use just to fill up their episode list...I often watch some classic old or new anime movies instead of shows/series, but I must say I can watch AKIRA over and over again, that shit is my childhood sentiment and the best anime I ever watched, also I love the manga and the sketches etc..fucking brutal, for people who are interested I recommend the book AKIRA CLUB (art book)
                      This sounds like you've tried watching a lot of the longer/ shounen series. I've been getting more discerning with my taste as well and basically will just turn a show off if it looks like it's going to be extremely clichƩ.

Some random manga author recommendations for those who aren't really into manga.

Kazuo Umezu
                      Junji Ito
                      Kentaro Miura
                      Hiroya Oku
                      Kazuo Koike

Originally posted by eleves View Post
                      Looks good! Ever since the 6th grade when I first read a version of Journey to The West, I've been interested in all interpretations of the Monkey King.
                      I assume you've seen Dragon Ball then yeah?

I found it funny how Naruto actually has the Monkey King (Goku) as one of the tailed beasts.

Comment

• 550BC
                        • Jan 2013

You're right, but lately I have not much interest anymore in anime/manga although I always will be a fan of the visuals.

I will take a look somewhere this week and consider it, thanks for telling! Ahimsa
                        a fish out of water dies

Comment

• unwashed
                          • Dec 2008

Just starting to re-watch Neon Genesis Evangelion for the second time. First time was around 10 years or something ago.
                          Grailed link

Comment

• mikko
                            • Apr 2013

Both of the Monkey King albums were fantastic, any further recommendations? Bought these solely based on a recommendation probably on io9...

Comment

• Ahimsa
                              Vegan Police
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mikko View Post
                              Both of the Monkey King albums were fantastic, any further recommendations? Bought these solely based on a recommendation probably on io9...
                              You should take a look at Yoshitaka Amano's masterpiece Deva Zan.

It's actually funny how many art concentration fashion design majors I see that draw just like him.

Comment

• eleves
                                • Sep 2012

I assume you've seen Dragon Ball then yeah?

I found it funny how Naruto actually has the Monkey King (Goku) as one of the tailed beasts.
                                Of course! Dragon Ball is what started it all for me anime wise! I've seen a bunch of Naruto episodes but I haven't really followed it yet but I will!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎