Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shah
    • Jul 2009

i use a minolta 7s (fixed lens, manual focus, rangefinder), olympus om-1 (iteration: n, last manual release), and the obvious kiev 88cm for med. format. i would only consider AF on a dslr or micro4/3rd, never on film.

Comment

• munch
      • Aug 2008

this looks like a pretty awesome camera as alternative to big DSLR ones? or maybe I'll just get a cheaper one, not sure I'd need to spend that much on camera for the amount I'd use it...

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

it seems like a pretty nice camera, size wise its really near with the micro four thirds cameras (Lumix GF1, Leica X1 etc) but lacks the interchangable lens. what I would consider is whether it has any notable advantage compared to a good pocketable camera. for example the Canon S95 is half the weight, notably smaller and half the price and doesn't really get left behind in specs either.
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• munch
          • Aug 2008

yeah that's kind of how I'm reasoning too- Olympus XZ-1 seems to be nice too. saw a comparison video of S95 and XZ-1 and it seems while the XZ-1 is a bit bigger, is a little better. but considering if it's worth another 200 eur for either panasonic GF2 or olympus E-PL2.. the whole buying new lenses deal always gets expensive :|

Comment

• widmerpool
            • Nov 2010

If you think that the S95 and XZ-1 are viable alternatives to an X100, you should probably get the S95 or XZ-1.
            http://asteroidanxiety.bandcamp.com

Comment

• munch
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by widmerpool View Post
              If you think that the S95 and XZ-1 are viable alternatives to an X100, you should probably get the S95 or XZ-1.
              in this case yes, so that's very true. what I'm actually looking for is just a small somewhat lightweight camera with "almost" DSLR-like picture quality which I can carry around at all times. always been so disappointed with compact cameras in the past, but that was like 4-5 years ago...

Comment

• widmerpool
                • Nov 2010

These days the good compacts will give you something fairly close to a DSLR at base iso, outside, in decent light. At least as far as viewing on screen, if not in prints. They are even not too bad at 400 ISO. If you are comparing to a compact from 4-5 years ago you will probably be quite happy.

If you want indoor low light pictures you will still need a bigger sensor for decent quality. M43 will be better than a compact, the x100 or a Ricoh GXR will be better than M43. There is also NEX and Samsung NX. Compared to an SLR all the mirrorless formats have various drawbacks in terms of usability relating to viewfinders and focusing. If you are going to get a camera that needs a bag I'd still prefer a small SLR over them for speed, ergonomics and image quality.

Comment

• widmerpool
                  • Nov 2010

For what it's worth, I bought my wife an S95 for Christmas and it's pretty good. I'll be buying myself a X100 because my all time favorite camera is a Hexar AF.

Comment

• munch
                    • Aug 2008

yeah, that's kind of what I've read/heard now... checked out the flickr group for olympus XZ-1 (it's not even released in Sweden. so unfair) and the pictures do seem really good! http://www.flickr.com/groups/xz1/pool/

the ricoh gxr and x100 do seem quite pricy, not sure if it's worth it for me, think I'd be very happy with the XZ-1

I'll just go to my local camera store and ask when they're released, this should be good.

thanks a lot

Comment

• shah
                      • Jul 2009

surprised the Pentax K-x didn't get a mention (perhaps it did earlier?) but it's an amazing piece of equipment considering the price-point / performance. Size is comparable to a micro4/3 but is a true dslr and can be purchased for nearly the same as EP-1 or lumix gf-1 or even high end P&S

Comment

• munch
                        • Aug 2008

hmm, friend just suggested I should take a look at Sony NEX-5.. I did and it seems great? but also that NEX-7 is coming soon enough- although: http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/03/17...onica-minolta/

if it looks like that I'm afraid it might be a bit too thick for my bag.. being flat is kind of a must for me since my bag isn't very spacious in that area

this is harder than I thought it would be

Comment

• Fade to Black
                          • Sep 2008

I want to make standard 16X20 dye transfer prints for my color photographs...I wonder where in the world this method is still available
                          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• endersgame
                            • Aug 2009

nobody prints dye transfer anymore.

Comment

• shah
                              • Jul 2009

the arsenal :)

(no filters or accessories other than the viewfinder are present)

Comment

• My work stuff is Sony a900.
                                So if anyone have questions about Sony full-size sensors, I'm ready to help.)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎