Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laughed
    • Jul 2009

the question is if you had to go with one lens would it be a 35 or a 50? (i doubt anyone would go with a 90)

Comment

• Fade to Black
      • Sep 2008

i have gotten so used to the normal lens i feel uncomfortable shooting anything else, just a matter of adding more physicality to the shooting experience stepping forwards and backwards which adds to the pleasure of it, i think. i shoot with the 45 on the G2 and don't feel like i need to get the wider lens at the moment for what i do.

the Mamiya 7II is a dream camera of mine when i move up to 120.
      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• laughed
        • Jul 2009

ha. just grabbed a mamiya 7II of craigslist for 600 bucks with an 80mm lens. Haven't used it yet though...maybe this weekend.

Comment

• shah
          • Jul 2009

Came across this link: http://www.re35.net/index.html#

As someone who hasn't made the leap to a DSLR yet (as seen in a previous post I have two 35mm and one MF which can't use these anyway), I'm not sure how to feel about this. While I find it interesting, it seems to strip the camera of its soul leaving the entire film-shooting process devoid of any life

Comment

• lost53
            • Dec 2010

^doubt this is up to speed just yet, in terms of quality and reliability.
            But very interesting none the less.

Comment

• Fade to Black
              • Sep 2008

i genuinely find it a cute and somewhat heartwarming concept, but still i don't think a 12 MP image on a 135 camera can match image and print quality of any roll of film.
              www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• shah
                • Jul 2009

great ...

Re-35 does not really exist. We (the design company Rogge & Pott) created Re-35 as an exercise in identity-design. We invented the "product" because it was something, that we had wished for for a long time (as many others).
                We launched the website and sent out "press releases" on April first - thinking, that the date would make clear, that Re35 is just wishful thinking - a classic April Fools Prank!

A lot of people didn’t hear about Re-35 until after April first, so we added this disclaimer

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

no wonder.. I was reading that yesterday and thinking how expensive those would be considering the sensor technology, which sounded like some nasa level shit.
                  "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• endersgame
                    • Aug 2009

a sensor that rolls up like acetate in a self-contained film can with the battery and processors inside..

if you can even make a sensor that will do that, it would be for the military, not 12mp retail boxes..

they should make a digital camera that can simulate film. so instead of picking those stupid effects like sepia, you can choose astia or scala or pan-f..

Comment

• laughed
                      • Jul 2009

After years of wanting her...she finally became mine. Killed two birds with one stone - picture taken with a Ricoh GRD3, which has also been on my want list. Coming later this week (hopefully) - Black Dot Leica sticker to replace red dot, Matte Black shutter release button, black hotshoe insert, and I went with a Zeiss Biogon T* F/2.0 35mm lens.
                      I hope to mod the catch release button in favor of all-silver and may throw down on a 28/2.8 Elmarit. Ahhhh, nothing like finally having my Leica M6. Can't wait to start shooting. The Ricoh rules too.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                        • Sep 2008

what have you been shooting with this whole time? Never used a Leica before but I must say that is a pretty camera, would look even better (and slightly more theft-proof) with the black sticker.

how do you like the 7II, btw?
                        www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• laughed
                          • Jul 2009

For the past year or so I've been shooting mostly with a Contax G2. I haven't taken the Mamiya out yet because I'm waiting for my lens for the Leica and I just ordered a ton of film - then I'm going to just go crazy for about a week straight. I haven't made a decent purchase in a while and with the tax refund back (filed myself using turbo tax..hehe) I just decided to go for it. I was getting sort of bored with the G2 (though it is great camera)...I have about 1500-2000 I am either going to drop on another lens for the leica or complete my current want list by grabbing the Hexar RF OR the Leica X1...all this sounds like i'm made of money but trust me I'm not!! With that being said I also just purchased an Olympus XA2 which takes amazing pictures...should be here later this week as well. It's pretty amazing how great that little camera is and for the price you can't beat it - (Got mine for 50 bucks shipped off eBay in perfect condition, box, etc.) Another Olympus I'd like to grab is the Olympus mju-ii...I can't sleep, and my days are filled with my desire for MORE CAMERAS!!! I think all of this madness is because I was greatly inspired by some street photos by Ken Schles (below) and it makes me want to hit the streets armed with a good 5 or so cameras and see what results.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                            • Sep 2008

dude it's always great to see someone so pumped about taking photos. Seems like the culture i live in people are more interested in the camera itself rather than using it to go out and shoot till kingdom come. I once called a used camera shop through an online ad enquiring about a camera and the lady asked me if i was going to shoot with it or collect it (and just let it collect dust like an antique!)

for that extra money lying around personally i'd go with another lens rather than the X1.
                            www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• laughed
                              • Jul 2009

I think I will go with the lens, though this Leica is so damn nice, having another one would be great. Wish I had the cash for an M8.

Yeah, I like looking at flickr and seeing guys who have about 50 DSLRs with about 90 lenses and no pictures but well,...their gear.

Comment

• Arizona
                                Banned
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by laughed View Post
                                For the past year or so I've been shooting mostly with a Contax G2. I haven't taken the Mamiya out yet because I'm waiting for my lens for the Leica and I just ordered a ton of film - then I'm going to just go crazy for about a week straight. I haven't made a decent purchase in a while and with the tax refund back (filed myself using turbo tax..hehe) I just decided to go for it. I was getting sort of bored with the G2 (though it is great camera)...I have about 1500-2000 I am either going to drop on another lens for the leica or complete my current want list by grabbing the Hexar RF OR the Leica X1...all this sounds like i'm made of money but trust me I'm not!! With that being said I also just purchased an Olympus XA2 which takes amazing pictures...should be here later this week as well. It's pretty amazing how great that little camera is and for the price you can't beat it - (Got mine for 50 bucks shipped off eBay in perfect condition, box, etc.) Another Olympus I'd like to grab is the Olympus mju-ii...I can't sleep, and my days are filled with my desire for MORE CAMERAS!!! I think all of this madness is because I was greatly inspired by some street photos by Ken Schles (below) and it makes me want to hit the streets armed with a good 5 or so cameras and see what results.
                                I also have a GRD3 and an original XA(not XA1). I think that if you like street photography you're pretty much set, spend your money on a photo trip instead on more gear.
                                I think that once you start taking pictures you'll see that 90% of your pictures will be coming from the GRD3(great lens but not too expensive, large depth of field, small size, fast AF and snap mode + digital is convenient).
                                The XA2 is good but for real world use zone focus might not be the best and of course film is bittersweet.
                                The Leica I don't think you'll be very adventurous with considering its price.

I pretty much only do street photo and in my opinion a complete set up would be:
                                main camera: GRD3, because it's small and great in every way
                                analog camera: Ricoh GR1v, because of it's Leica-beating lens, fairly fast AF and unique focus display and manual focus
                                second camera: Ricoh GXR A12 28 for higher IQ while still retaining the GR functions.

But at the end of the day, thinking about your gear will only make you take fewer or worse pictures, so I'd sell everything but one camera.
                                GRD3/GR1/Mju:II/S95 would serve well as your one and only.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎