Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fncyths
    • Apr 2010

Great buy Dane! I've heard awesome things about that camera! Care to show us some shots? Dont' be shy

Have been going back and forth between the Fuji X100 and the Leica X2...

Oh how that little red dot haunts me...
    Originally posted by Shucks
    it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
    Originally posted by interest1
    I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• birdytg
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Dane View Post
      So I bought this micro four thirds camera a few weeks ago. I understand this system isn't for everyone...the sensor is obviously smaller, so you lose some depth of field, etc., but this camera is very interesting. The stabilization system is incredible...you can basically take sharp(er) pictures are ridiculously low shutter speeds, which is nice for novices like me.

Being a mirrorless camera, the viewfinder is obviously electronic, which for some takes some getting used to, but is a pleasure to use. There's a sensor that switches the viewfinder on when you life it to your eye.

Body is magnesium...weather-sealed...obviously "retro"-style (whatever)...the lens selection is quite impressive, albeit young. Most impressive though is the size...tiny camera...tiny lenses.

This camera is just incredible and beats quite a lot of the high prices leaders of the reflex segment on several points (cf DXO labs, dpreview, etc...).
      It's the kind of camera to always have on your side especially when bigger cameras are not easy to always be under your hand , this is also THE must have for a second camera when you already own the nikond800 or nikond800e or again the canon 5d markIII.
      The only minus is the micro fourth third captor which is spoiling a bit the depth of field (but when you know that you can always manage with it...)
      Tropicalization, construction, lenses (12/50mm) are excellent.
      Price is ridiculous compared to the big major reflex cameras.
      Yes Dane, you're right, this is a must have!
      The only bad thing for me is the design...but it's another question which finally has a very little importance in regard of the pictures quality!
      http://www.mypixeldiary.com
      http://www.birdytg.com
      www.birdytg.blogspot.fr
      http://www.facebook.com/birdy.tg
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mypixeldiary

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

Ya, the design isn't for everyone...but the all-black version (which I couldn't manage to get) is more subtle.

It's a terrific camera...I'll post some pics eventually...I'm not a great photographer though. :-\
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Supel
          • Apr 2011

That Olympus OM-D looks really good, though it seems heavy & chunky? It seems reasonably priced for its specs though how would it compare to something like the Leica X1 or even Fuji x100?

I use a Fuji x10, it was very handy in Japan and is the perfect size. It's handy super macro to 1cm (excellent detailed shots for you SZers) and wide angle lens works a treat. It works reasonably well in low light situations with the f-stop going down to 2.0. It even shoots raw! Very well priced.

Comment

• Dane
            HAMMERTIME
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Supel View Post
            That Olympus OM-D looks really good, though it seems heavy & chunky? It seems reasonably priced for its specs though how would it compare to something like the Leica X1 or even Fuji x100?

I use a Fuji x10, it was very handy in Japan and is the perfect size. It's handy super macro to 1cm (excellent detailed shots for you SZers) and wide angle lens works a treat. It works reasonably well in low light situations with the f-stop going down to 2.0. It even shoots raw! Very well priced.
            Size/weight is all relative, of course. It weighs almost exactly the same as the X100, and a bit more than the X2, keeping in mind that these 2 cameras (and your X10) are all fixed-lens, where the Olympus is interchangeable, so that has to be factored in. Here it is compared to the Fuji X Pro (also interchangeable):

and next to a D300:

Comparing to the Fuji x-line, the autofocus is significantly faster, and the stabilization system is superior. X Pro produces impeccable images, so by no means is a slouch (also has a very cool hybrid viewfinder), but comparing price (I think X Pro is around $1700 vs Olympus' $1000), range of lenses, etc. etc., I found the Olympus more practical.

I have no comment on the Leica.
            i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• fncyths
              • Apr 2010

/ \

Looks like a great camera! I love the size. Seems a bit more practical for lugging around.

Now your WAYWT pics are going to look awesome
              Originally posted by Shucks
              it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
              Originally posted by interest1
              I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• birdytg
                • Feb 2010

So exited!!! Just got my new NIKON D800E
                36,3MP!!!!!
                Differs from NIKON D800 by the low-pass filter (anti-aliasing filter) cancelled out giving higher resolution, and so, an even more detailed image!

First results are just unbelievable, I could not imagine how big could be the difference!
                Just a bit sad to have left my "CANON spirit" on the road...
                But they could finally be quite complementary, the CANON having his chances on the runways, sports, and video but the difference seems so important that only using the cameras will tell the story...
                Whatever, I am so happy and I will be able to bring the two cameras with me for my holidays in Asia! Tons of pictures on project!!!!
                http://www.mypixeldiary.com
                http://www.birdytg.com
                www.birdytg.blogspot.fr
                http://www.facebook.com/birdy.tg
                http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mypixeldiary

Comment

• endersgame
                  • Aug 2009

^^ i'm going to get to use a D800E rental next week for copywork. sadly, i'm not longer as excited as i used to be about these things..

Comment

• munch
                    • Aug 2008

NEX-F3 vs NEX-5N vs something else with ~APS-C sized sensor?
                    I don't wanna spend too much though... and are there any differences between different lens mount adapters? I am thinking of getting a Voigtländer lens and some sort of Pancake if there are any.

also I heard canon might be releasing a new one soon?

Comment

• Dane
                      HAMMERTIME
                      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by munch View Post
                      NEX-F3 vs NEX-5N vs something else with ~APS-C sized sensor?
                      I don't wanna spend too much though... and are there any differences between different lens mount adapters? I am thinking of getting a Voigtländer lens and some sort of Pancake if there are any.

also I heard canon might be releasing a new one soon?
                      I don't think any Voigtlander lenses have an e-mount (yet), but all are manual focus anyway, so a simple adapter would work fine. Be cautious though...a Voigtlander lens could easily be priced more than a NEX camera body. Another thing to consider is weight...you don't want to have a lens that makes the camera difficult to hold.

Sony's 16mm pancake doesn't get stellar reviews. Frankly, at this point, the native lenses for the Nex system aren't plentiful and will limit your options.

You may want to check out Samsung's NX cameras. They offer 2 pancakes that are well received. Bodies start around $600 I believe (new).

And yes, rumour has it that Canon will be releasing a mirrorless range soon...hopefully it won't be as dismal as Nikon's.

Comment

• Dane
                        HAMMERTIME
                        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by birdytg View Post
                        So exited!!! Just got my new NIKON D800E
                        36,3MP!!!!!
                        Differs from NIKON D800 by the low-pass filter (anti-aliasing filter) cancelled out giving higher resolution, and so, an even more detailed image!

First results are just unbelievable, I could not imagine how big could be the difference!
                        Just a bit sad to have left my "CANON spirit" on the road...
                        But they could finally be quite complementary, the CANON having his chances on the runways, sports, and video but the difference seems so important that only using the cameras will tell the story...
                        Whatever, I am so happy and I will be able to bring the two cameras with me for my holidays in Asia! Tons of pictures on project!!!!
                        Congrats on your new beast! Any lens purchases yet?

Comment

• munch
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                          I don't think any Voigtlander lenses have an e-mount (yet), but all are manual focus anyway, so a simple adapter would work fine. Be cautious though...a Voigtlander lens could easily be priced more than a NEX camera body. Another thing to consider is weight...you don't want to have a lens that makes the camera difficult to hold.

Sony's 16mm pancake doesn't get stellar reviews. Frankly, at this point, the native lenses for the Nex system aren't plentiful and will limit your options.

You may want to check out Samsung's NX cameras. They offer 2 pancakes that are well received. Bodies start around $600 I believe (new).

And yes, rumour has it that Canon will be releasing a mirrorless range soon...hopefully it won't be as dismal as Nikon's.
                          ah yeah I kinda knew that about the Voigtländer, but that's why I wanted both a pancake and a Voigtländer - one for AF and one for MF.

I heard not so great things about the Samsung though, uhh.. but I guess fanboys and stuff.

anyhow
                          This time trusted sources unveiled that Canon will actually launch a mirrorless system with APS-C sensor and not with the same Four Thirds sized GX1 sensor! There will be a completely new mount and of course your EF lenses will be compatible (with electronic support) via appropriate adapter. I guess more info and real specs…

reading this makes me wanna wait. electronic support adapter for Canon lenses, which I am familiar with already...
                          the Nikon one I have played around with, I don't really know if I will be able to look at Nikon cameras the same way ever again.

mm I will wait until the Canon one is announced and then decide.
                          won't be buying til the end of august right now it seems.

thanks!

Comment

• Dane
                            HAMMERTIME
                            • Feb 2011

ah yeah I kinda knew that about the Voigtländer, but that's why I wanted both a pancake and a Voigtländer - one for AF and one for MF.

I heard not so great things about the Samsung though, uhh.. but I guess fanboys and stuff.

anyhow
                            This time trusted sources unveiled that Canon will actually launch a mirrorless system with APS-C sensor and not with the same Four Thirds sized GX1 sensor! There will be a completely new mount and of course your EF lenses will be compatible (with electronic support) via appropriate adapter. I guess more info and real specs…

reading this makes me wanna wait. electronic support adapter for Canon lenses, which I am familiar with already...
                            the Nikon one I have played around with, I don't really know if I will be able to look at Nikon cameras the same way ever again.

mm I will wait until the Canon one is announced and then decide.
                            won't be buying til the end of august right now it seems.

thanks!
                            Can I ask why it has to be an aps-c sensor?

I agree that waiting for the Canon may be beneficial...but who knows how long it'll be until something's official.

Comment

• munch
                              • Aug 2008

mmm I dunno, might be stupid but I would like a quite wide angle and I've been using an APS-C sensor for the longest time and don't want to downgrade...
                              and I did not quite like the micro four thirds cameras I have toyed with so far, but might just have been me managing to find the absolutely worst ones.

Comment

• Dane
                                HAMMERTIME
                                • Feb 2011

mmm I dunno, might be stupid but I would like a quite wide angle and I've been using an APS-C sensor for the longest time and don't want to downgrade...
                                and I did not quite like the micro four thirds cameras I have toyed with so far, but might just have been me managing to find the absolutely worst ones.
                                Honestly, micro four thirds hadn't matured until the e-m5 (and not just saying that because I own one). Worth checking out if you come across one...you might be surprised! Also...2 native Voigtlanders!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎