• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

interest1 is lovesick!!!
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interest1
      • Nov 2008

Cute, E.

I love it when you try to bait me. *wink

sain't

Comment

• david s
        • Jul 2010

Friend sent me earlier today

Sophie Tucker
        "From birth to age eighteen, a girl needs good parents. From eighteen to thirty-five she needs good looks. From thirty-five to fifty-five, she needs a good personality. From fifty-five on, she needs good cash."
        Of course the same could be said for a boy

Sophie Tucker (for the new millenium)
        "From birth to age eighteen, a boy needs good parents. From eighteen to thirty-five he needs good looks. From thirty-five to fifty-five, he needs a good personality. From fifty-five on, he needs good cash."
        Last edited by david s; 07-22-2010, 08:48 PM.
        It's absolutely Hedious!
        shy poser

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

There are few of us who have not sometimes wakened before dawn, either after one of those dreamless nights that make us almost enamoured of death, or one of those nights of horror and misshapen joy, when through the chambers of the brain sweep phantoms more terrible than reality itself, and instinct with that vivid life that lurks in all grotesques, and that lends to Gothic art its enduring vitality, this art being, one might fancy, especially the art of those whose minds have been troubled with the malady of reverie. Gradually white fingers creep through the curtains, and they appear o tremble. In black fantastic shapes, dumb shadows crawl into the corners of the room, and crouch there. Outside, there is the stirring of birds among the leaves, or the sound of men going forth to their work, or the sigh and sob of the wind coming down from the hills, and wandering round the silent house, as though it feared to wake he sleepers, and yet must needs call forth sleep from her purple cave. Veil after veil of thin dusky gauze is lifted, and by degrees the forms and colours of things are restored to them, and we watch the dawn remaking the world in its antique pattern. The wan mirrors get back their mimic life. The flameless tapers stand where we had left them, and beside them lies the half-cut book that we had been studying, or the wired flower that we had worn at the ball, or the letter that we had been afraid to read, or that we had read too often. Nothing seems to us changed. out of the unreal shadows of the night comes back the real life that we had known. We have to resume it where we had left off, and there steal over us a terrible sense of the necessity for the continuance of energy in the same wearisome round of stereotyped habits, or a wild longing, it may be, that our eyelids might open some morning upon a world that had been refashioned anew in the darkness for our pleasure a world in which things would have fresh shapes and colours, and be changed, or have other secretes, a world in which the past would have little or no place, or survive, at any rate, in no conscious form of obligation or regret, the remembrance even of joy having its bitterness, and the memories of pleasure their pain.

Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

"The gods are strange. It is not of our vices only they make instruments to scourge us. They bring us to ruin through what in us is good, gentle, humane, loving."

Oscar Wilde, De Profundis.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
              • Sep 2006

HAD I the heavens’ embroidered cloths,
              Enwrought with golden and silver light,
              The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
              Of night and light and the half light,
              I would spread the cloths under your feet:
              But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
              I have spread my dreams under your feet;
              Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

W.B. Yeats
              Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
              http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
                • Mar 2007

Yeats

That's beautiful! i first heard it quoted in Sir Ken Robinson's talk on ted.com

Comment

• Fade to Black
                  • Sep 2008

my favorite Yeats: "The best lack all conviction, while the worst/Are full of passionate intensity."
                  www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• doldrums
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                    HAD I the heavens’ embroidered cloths,
                    Enwrought with golden and silver light,
                    The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
                    Of night and light and the half light,
                    I would spread the cloths under your feet:
                    But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
                    I have spread my dreams under your feet;
                    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

W.B. Yeats
                    this is fucking gorgeous. thank you.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

To have become a deeper man is the privilege of those who have suffered.

Oscar Wilde, De Profundis.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
                        • Sep 2008

i like that one, have never read Wilde but isn't the sort of quote I would have expected based on a general assumption.
                        www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

/\ Indeed. De Profundis is very uncharacteristic of Wilde - it's a 75 page letter he wrote from prison to his former lover, who has ruined him. Let's just say there is quite a number of revelations in there that Wilde has made for himself.

I think Wilde is often misread. Many people see the quotes from his plays and stories and they take Wilde to be an amoral Hedonist, but he was nothing of the sort. With him one must always ask that basic question, is it the author speaking, or his character?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MASUGNEN
                            • Feb 2009

I hate quotes.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Can I quote you on that?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• stefker
                                • Aug 2010

Churchill answering to Labour politician Bessie Braddock:

Bessie Braddock: Winston, you are drunk, and what's more, you are disgustingly drunk.
                                Winston Churchill: Bessie, my dear, you are ugly, and what's more, you are disgustingly ugly. But tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be disgustingly ugly.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎