X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trentk
    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Validate was the wrong word, I guess. What I meant was, does the philosopher look too hard at something that simply isn't there? I mean, really, Sarty as flauner?
    As long as such a way of doing street style photography can be ushered in, I'm indifferent as to whether or not its currently there. Hyperstition.
    "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• endorphinz
      Banned
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Joseph Campbell
      People say that what we're all seeking is a meaning for life. I don't think that's what we're really seeking. I think what we're seeking is an experience of being alive, so that our life experiences on the purely physical plane will have resonance within our own innermost being and reality, so that we actually feel the rapture of being alive. That's what it's all finally about

Comment

• endersgame
        • Aug 2009

"The first time I created a camera obscura, after I had realized how long I had to sit there to adjust my eyes to the darkness, to see the projection, which is about 20 to 30 minutes–I thought I'd seen God."

Vera Lutter
        Learn about the work and career of artist Vera Lutter. Artworks, biography, exhibitions, editorial content, news, museum exhibitions, press, and more.

Comment

• laughed
          • Jul 2009

And now....deep thoughts.....with Jack Handey.....

“I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.”

Comment

• endorphinz
            Banned
            • Jun 2009

narcotics have been systematically scapegoated and demonized

Father Tom Murphy (William S. Burroughs), Drugstore Cowboy

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
              • Jan 2008

"Pay Red-Pay back the red you stole for your lying
              flags and your Coca-Cola signs-Pay that red back to
              penis and blood and sun-

- William S. Burroughs Nova Express(1964)
              Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
              Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• Stijn
                • Jun 2011

No artist is ahead of his time. He is his time. It is just that the others are behind the time.

~Martha Graham

Comment

• interest1
                  • Nov 2008

Let go or be dragged.
                  . . . . . . . . . - Zen proverb

sain't

Comment

• Acéphale
                    • Apr 2010

Beyond a certain point there is no return. This point has to be reached.

-- Franz Kafka

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Comment

• Verdandi
                      • Mar 2012

German words hang like lead weights on the German language, I had said to Gambetti, and constantly drag the mind down to a level that can only be harmful to it. German thought and German speech soon become paralyzed under the intolerable weight of the language, which suppresses any thought before it can find expression. Under the German language, I said, German thought had developed only with difficulty and never come to full efflorescence, as Romance thought had under the Romance languages—as witness the centuries of effort that the Germans had invested in their thinking. Although I have a higher regard for Spanish than for Italian, no doubt because I am more familiar with it, Gambetti that morning illustrated yet again the lightness, effortlessness, and infinite versatility of Italian, which bears the same relation to German as a child reared in complete freedom, in a happy and prosperous home, bears to one who has been cowed and beaten into low cunning in the poorest of poor families. How much more highly, then, must we rate the achievements of our philosophers and writers? I asked. Every word inexorably drags their thought down, every sentence forces to the ground whatever they venture to think, and thus forces everything to the ground. That's why their philosophy and their writings are so leaden.

Thomas Bernhard - Ausloeschung, Ein Zerfall (Extinction)
                      lavender menace

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

"People came to this country for either money or freedom. If you don't have money, you cling to your freedoms all the more angrily. Even if smoking kills you, even if you can't afford to feed your kids, even if your kids are getting shot down by maniacs with assault rifles. You may be poor, but the one thing nobody can take away from you is to fuck up your life whatever way you want to."

- Jonathan Franzen, Freedom
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mortalveneer
                          • Jan 2008

^ in light of the possible big soda ban, one might doubt the endurance of such freedoms...
                          I am not who you think I am

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

The quote was to mean exactly the negative reaction of these poor idiots whose health the benevolent Bloomberg is trying to protect. I'd say fuck them if it wasn't for the taxpayers shouldering the health care costs.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mortalveneer
                              • Jan 2008

I agree about the health care costs, but am not entirely sure this will have a measurable impact on obesity rates.
                              I am not who you think I am

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Agreed. It's a gesture. Gestures can at least spark a debate.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎