Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • todestrieb
    • Mar 2009

Where you can ask, you can look for an answer, and where you cannot look for an answer, you cannot ask either. Nor can you find an answer.
    - Wittgenstein
    Indiscriminate kindness towards all carries the constant threat of indifference and remoteness to each.
    - Adorno
    It's not worth the bother to kill yourself, since you always kill yourself too late
    - Cioran

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by todestrieb View Post
      Where you can ask, you can look for an answer, and where you cannot look for an answer, you cannot ask either. Nor can you find an answer.
      - Wittgenstein
      Indiscriminate kindness towards all carries the constant threat of indifference and remoteness to each.
      - Adorno
      It's not worth the bother to kill yourself, since you always kill yourself too late
      - Cioran
      See, that's why I ban people. I care!!!
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
        • Sep 2006

You believe, do you not, in a crystal palace which shall be forever unbreakable—in an edifice, that is to say, at which no one shall be able to put out his tongue, or in any other way to mock? Now, for the very reason that it must be made of crystal, and forever unbreakable, and one whereat no one shall put out his tongue, I should fight shy of such a building.

Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground
        ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Fade to Black
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by todestrieb View Post
          - Wittgenstein
          - Adorno
          - Cioran
          these are all quite harsh, but brutally true.
          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Laika, I was going to post that! I keep returning to that quote time and again.

I was familiar with Ravelstein's ideas of marriage. People are beaten at last with their solitary longings and intolerable isolation. They need the right, the missing portion to complete themselves, and since they can't realistically hope to find that they must accept a companionable substitute. Recognizing that they can't win, they settle. The marriage of true minds seldom corrus. Love that bears it out even to the edge of doom is not a modern project. But there was, for Ravelstein, nothing to compete with this achievement of the soul. Scholars deny that Sonnet 116 is about the love of men and women but insist that Shakespeare is writing about friendship. The best we can hope for in modernity is not love but a sexual attachment - a bourgeois solution, in bohemian dress. I mention bohemianism because we need to feel that we are liberated.

Saul Bellow, Ravelstein
            Last edited by Faust; 05-05-2010, 03:24 PM.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• stretcheroo
              • Nov 2009

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."

-both G.B. Shaw[/QUOTE]

This quote adorns my room at the W in Chicago. Talk about ruining a good thing. The quote -- not the room.

Comment

• stretcheroo
                • Nov 2009

I'll apologize in advance for being less literally inclined than many who have posted recently here (Faust).

"It is not length of life, but depth of life." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• galia
                  • Jun 2009

Den Hunget nennen wir Liebe und wo wir nichts seher da glauben wir unsere Gotter
                  Ingeborg Bachmann

(we name the hunger: love, and where we see nothing, there we believe our gods)

Comment

• klangspiel
                    • Apr 2007

a bunch of quotes from malcolm de chazal's sens-plastique:
                    To live well is one word too much.

Pure contemplation is the ear's refusing to listen while the skin absorbs the silence.

Nothing is more comfortable lying in a hollow space as the tongue, so used to its own soft bed that it can't conceive of any other kind. Tasting is ideally rounded. It's the food we chew that disturbs the tongue. At rest the tongue lies in the lair of the mouth as if it were safe in a cylindrical cocoon.

The sunken sounds of the eyes are our passport into the land of silence, where they speak the language of what we cannot say aloud. From the borderline of the eyes extends the vast gaze of the great silences. The silence in the eyes of babblers talks right into our ears. The mute look in babbling eyes is coiled around a soundless slender pin always ready to be tripped. The contraption will then disappear back into the look where its garrulousness always lies at the ready.

The sun is the finest of all couturiers but the moon is the superior shoe stylist - its light is heavier and sinks to the ground more than sunlight, clinging to the toes and heels of earth's flora, whereas sunlight exposes their nakedness.

Making love deflates the imagination - people always seem more stupid afterward.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                      • Sep 2008

klangspiel - the first and last are perfect. thanks again
                      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

the last quote is pretty dumb - you don't become stupid, just peaceful and relaxed.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by galia View Post
                          Den Hunget nennen wir Liebe und wo wir nichts seher da glauben wir unsere Gotter
                          Ingeborg Bachmann

(we name the hunger: love, and where we see nothing, there we believe our gods)
                          oh this is fantastic.
                          is it from one of her poems?
                          ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• laika
                            • Sep 2006

people don't die here, they are murdered.

also Ingeborg Bachmann, Malina

Comment

• galia
                              • Jun 2009

I don't remember laika, I just wrote it down and it stayed with me. I actually love it so much I put it inside an ancient locket I often wear

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by laika View Post
                                people don't die here, they are murdered.

also Ingeborg Bachmann, Malina
                                how did you come across Malina?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎