X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

"He'd paid the full price for art, only he hadn't made any. He'd suffered all the old-fashioned artistic sufferings - isolation, poverty, despair, mental and physical obstruction - and nobody knew or cared. And though nobody knowing or caring was another form of artistic suffering, in his case it had no artistic meaning. He was just someone who had grown ugly, old, and embittered, one of billions."

Philip Roth, Sabbath's Theater
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interest1
      • Nov 2008

You can always tell a real friend:
      when you've made a fool of yourself he doesn't feel you've done a permanent job.

– Laurence J. Peter
      sain't

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

There are nasty types even among whores.

Philip Roth, Sabbath's Theater
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

They just keep piling on as I am enjoying Sabbath's Theater. The protagonist, contemplating suicide:

"Mishima. Rothko. Hemingway. Berryman. Koestler. Pavese. Kosinski. Ashile Gorky. Primo Levi. Hart Crane. Walter Benjamin. Peerless bunch. Nothing dishonorable signing on there. Faulkner as good as killed himself with booze. As did Ava Gardner. Blessed Ava. Wasn't much about men could astonish Ava. Elegance and filth, immaculately intertwined. Dead at sixty-two, two years younger than me. Ava, Yvonne de Carlo - those are role models! Fuck the laudable ideologies. Shallow, shallow, shallow! Enough reading and rereading A Room of One's Own - get yourself The Collected work of Ava Gardner. A tweaking and fingering lesbian virgin, V. Woolf, erotic life one part prurience, nine parts fear - an overbred English parody of a borzoi, effortlessly superior, as only the English can be, to all her inferiors, who never took her clothes off in her life. But a suicide, remember. The list grows more inspiring by the year."

- Philip Roth, Sabbath's Theater

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interest1
            • Nov 2008

Screenshot from an eBay seller I recently purchased from.
            Something about the wording in their terms of sale made me feel inexplicably dirty.

sain't

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

/\ Yes, but as you know coming together is not that easy.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

"You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever."

-Philip Roth, Sabbath's Theater

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• apathy!
                  • Jan 2014

excerpt from short Vladimir Nabokov essay:

I presume there exists readers who find titillating the display of mural words in those hopelessly banal and enormous novels which are typed out by the thumbs of tense mediocrities and called "powerful" and "stark" by the reviewing hack. There are gentle souls who would pronounce Lolita meaningless because it does not teach them anything. I am neither a reador nor a writer of didactic fiction, and, despite John Ray's assertion, Lolita has no morals in tow. For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected, with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Well, regardless of what Nabokov says, while the novel is not didactic, moral issues are blatantly present in Lolita. Other things, too, obviously (including aesthetic bliss), but you can't get around morals there. We can get into the whole whether writer or reader controls the interpretation/meaning of the text debate again - but then BSR will start quoting Barthes and take all the fun out of it!!!*

*just kidding!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• apathy!
                      • Jan 2014

I think he must have been very frustrated at the public reception of the book at the time, which I imagine to be something along the lines of "pedophile needs to get punished or it's a bad story" or, "gripping exploration of pedophilia".

I.e. the public focusing on an aspect of the novel he thought to be unimportant.

Comment

• interest1
                        • Nov 2008

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

–George Carlin
                        sain't

Comment

• Macky
                          • Oct 2014

"The day you stop striving for excellence is the day you begin basking in mediocrity." - Me around 8th grade / beginning of high school. I went through a strange phase where I grew up quite fast (more so mentally than physically lol) and started thinking of quotes that I thought would help motivate me throughout my years. That quote is one that has stuck with me the longest. Once in a while, I'll think of something and jot it down on a piece of paper or make a note on my iPhone.

Comment

• pilgrim
                            • Apr 2014

Love is shown more in deeds than in words.

Comment

• interest1
                              • Nov 2008

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

― Oscar Wilde

sain't

Comment

• daou0782
                                Banned
                                • Nov 2012

“Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.”
                                ― Lao Tzu

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎