• Show
Clear All
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    how did you come across Malina?
    austrian lit phase.
    are you a fan?
    i had forgotten about it until galia brought up Bachmann.

galia, that's so lovely that you wear it in a locket, i can see why.
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

I liked Malina, yes. She is fairly unknown in the US - I read it in one of my courses. Haven't read anything else by her.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• crouka
        • Jul 2007

what stopped inside you yesterday was what people have been telling you the world is like. you see, people tell us from the time we are born that the world is such and such and so and so, and naturally we have no choice but to see the world the way people have been telling us it is.
        yesterday the world became as sorcerers tell you it is. in that world coyotes talk and so do deer, as I once told you, and so do rattlesnakes and trees and all other living beings. but what I want you to learn is "seeing". perhaps you know now that seeing happens only when one sneaks between the worlds. the world of ordinary people and the world of sorcerers. you are now smack in the middle point between the two. yesterday you believed the coyote talked to you. any sorcerer who doesn't see would believe the same, but one who sees knows that to believe that is to be pinned down in the realm of sorcerers. by the same token, not to believe that coyotes talk is to be pinned down in the realm of ordinary men................no, in order to see, one must learn to look at the world in some other fashion, and the only other fashion I know is the way of a sorcerer.

we are weird animals. we get carried away and in our madness we believe ourselves to be making perfect sense.

don juan (a yaqui old shaman character)
        Last edited by crouka; 12-19-2009, 01:11 AM.

Comment

• interest1
          • Nov 2008

Re: Quotes

Until we lose ourselves, there is no hope of finding ourselves.
          -Henry Miller
          sain't

Comment

• Fade to Black
            • Sep 2008

An artist whose great theme would be the destiny coded in the seemingly random fragments of our lives was already standing in the doorway to his future, pulling together the fragments of his past, furiously fulfilling the person he already was and imagining the person he would become -- anything so he wouldn't have to go back.

- from John H. Richardson's Esquire profile of P.T. Anderson
            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Fade to Black
              • Sep 2008

it's from here: http://www.esquire.com/features/75-m...-anderson-1008

the quote above ends the piece.
              www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• deius
                • Jul 2009

The young had been led to believe in values and ideals which were totally unrelated to their real "selves" and went against their very nature. They were led to believe that such a power-based monster was their "New Society" (the hardest and cruelest, in fact.) A bitter inner conflict raged in these young hearts and minds. The lofty moral and aesthetic values implanted in their collective unconscious through a cultural heritage thousands of years old came into conflict with the new power based community, which was imposed on them. The conflict reached its culmination, and frustration was inevitable, when young men and women actually witnessed the collapse of that power-based community while still being taught it was the best and strongest.

Anwar El Sadat (from his 1978 autobiography)

Comment

• interest1
                  • Nov 2008

Fashion constantly begins and ends in the two things in abhors most: singularity and vulgarity.

~William Hazlitt (1778-1830)
                  sain't

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

I dreamed of Freud. What does this mean? - Stanislaw Lec.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• LittleTombo
                      • Mar 2009

"I always thought a punk was someone who took it up the ass"
                      - William Burroughs

Comment

• laika
                        • Sep 2006

Flag...
                        How much more easily the leave-taker is loved!
                        For the flame burns more purely for those vanishing in the distance,
                        fueled by the fleeting scrap of material waving from the
                        ship or railway window. Separation penetrates the disappearing
                        person like a pigment and steeps him in gentle radiance.

Walter Benjamin, one way street
                        ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• todestrieb
                          • Mar 2009

Nonsense

When the ticking of a watch breaks the silence of eternity, arousing you out of serene contemplation, how can you help resenting the absurdity of time, its march into the future, and all the nonsense about evolution and progress? Why go forward, why live in time? The sudden revelation of time at such moments, conferring upon it a crushing preeminence otherwise nonexistent, is the fruit of a strong contempt for life, an unwillingness to go on. If this revelation happens at night, the sensation of unutterable loneliness is added to the absurdity of time, because then, far from the crowd, you face time alone, the two of you caught in an irreducible duality. Time, in this nocturnal desolation, is no longer populated wih actions and objects: it becomes an evergrowing nothingness, a dilating void, a threat from beyond. Silence resounds then with the mournful clamor of bells knelling for a dead universe. Only he who has separated time from existence lives this drama: fleeing the latter, he is crushed by the former. And he feels how time, like death, gains ground.
                          -- Emil Cioran

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Wealth is an irritant - Norman Manea

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• crouka
                              • Jul 2007

en un mot l'expérience d'autrui comme alter ego au milieu même de la discussion. le monde humain est un système ouvert ou inachevé et même la contingence fondamentale qui le menace de discordance le soustrait aussi à la fatalité du désordre et interdit d'en désespérer, à condition seulement qu'on se rappelle que les appareils, ce sont des hommes, et qu'on maintienne et multiplie des rapports d'homme à homme.

merleau-ponty

after music is over, it's gone in the air. you can never capture it again.

-eric dolphy

琥珀の弓張月 息切れすら覚える鼓動
                              生涯忘れることはないでしょう

- 柳井愛子

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

The country is proud of its dead poets. It takes terrific satisfaction in the poets' testimony that the USA is too tough, too big, too much, too rugged, that American reality is overpowering. And to be a poet is a school thing, a skirt thing, a church thing. The weakness of the spiritual powers is proved in the childishness, madness, drunkenness, and despair of these martyrs. Orpheus moved stones and trees. But a poet can't perform a hysterectomy or send a vehicle out of the solar system. Miracle and power no longer belong to him. So poets are loved, but loved because they just can't make it here. They exist to light up the enormity of the awful tangle and justify the cynicism of those who say, "If I were not such a corrupt, unfeeling bastard, creep, thief, and vulture, I couldn't get through this either. Look at these good and tender and soft men, the best of us. They succumbed, poor loonies."

Saul Bellow, Humboldt's Gift
                                Last edited by Faust; 05-05-2010, 03:26 PM.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎