Vegan Police
    • Sep 2011

“I call architecture frozen music.”

— Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Acéphale
      • Apr 2010

Our hands full or not: The same abundance.
      Our eyes open or shut: The same light.

-- Yves Bonnefoy

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Comment

• interest1
        • Nov 2008

I'm quoting a wall. (•̪●)>

sain't

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

"Chip was struck by the broad similarities between black-market Lithuania and free-market America. In both countries, wealth was concentrated in the hands of a few; any meaningful distinction between private and public sectors had disappeared; captains of commerce lived in a ceaseless anxiety that drove them to expand their empires ruthlessly; ordinary citizens lived in ceaseless fear of being fired and ceaseless confusion about which powerful private interest owned which formerly public institution on any given day; and the economy was fueled largely by the elite's insatiable demand for luxury. The main difference between America and Lithuania, as far as Chip could see, was that in America the wealthy few subdued the unwealthy many by means of mind-numbing and soul-killing entertainments and gadgetry and pharmaceuticals, whereas in Lithuania the powerful few subdued the unpowerful many by threatening violence."

Jonathan Franzen, The Corrections
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by corsair sanglot
            "I challenge any art lover to love a canvas as much as a fetishist loves a shoe."
            — Georges Bataille, "L’esprit moderne et le jeu des transpositions," Documents, 1930.
            Pleasure only starts once the worm has got into the fruit, to become delightful happiness must be tainted with poison.
            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• trentk
              • Oct 2010

Walter Benjamin on street style photographers? (In the 30's nonetheless)

"The flaneur plays the role of scout in the marketplace. As such, he is also the explorer of the crowd. Within the man who abandons hinlself to it, the crowd inspires a sort of drunkenness, one accompanied by very specific illusions: the man flatters himself that, on seeing a passerby swept along by the crowd, he has accurately classified him, seen straight through to the innermost recesses of his soul-all on the basis of his external appearance. Physiologies of the time abound in evidence of tins singular conception. Balzac's work provides excellent examples. The typical characters seen in passersby make such an impression on the senses that one cannot be surprised at the resultant curiosity to go beyond them and capture the special singularity of each person. But the nightmare that corresponds to the illusory perspicacity of the aforementioned physiognomist consists in seeing those distinctive traits-traits peculiar to the person-revealed to be nothing more than the elements of a new type; so that in the final analysis a person of the greatest individuality would turn out to be the exemplar of a type. This points to an agonizing phantasmagoria at the heart of flanerie. Baudelaire develops it with great vigor in "Les Sept Vieillards:' a poem that deals with the seven-fold apparition of a repulsive-looking old man. This individual, presented as always the same in his multiplicity, testifies to the anguish of the city dweller who is unable to break the magic circle of the type even though he cultivates the most eccentric peculiarities. Baudelaire describes this procession as "infernal" in appearance. But the newness for which he was on the lookout all his life consists in nothing other than this phantasmagoria of what is "always the same'"
              "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Street photographer as the contemporary flaneur is an interesting concept! However, I doubt Sarty knows who Benjamin is. Maybe the Facehunter does, since the Frenchies still read philosophy. Gringos don't.

So, here is the question. Does philosophizing about people who have no philosophical intentions validates their activities somehow or is it another exercises in blowing hot air?
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• galia
                  • Jun 2009

Why validate? The purpose is analysis

Comment

• laika
                    • Sep 2006

^ha! perfectly and succinctly said.

if only i could get my students to make this distinction....
                    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by galia View Post
                      Why validate? The purpose is analysis
                      Validate was the wrong word, I guess. What I meant was, does the philosopher look too hard at something that simply isn't there? I mean, really, Sarty as flauner?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        Validate was the wrong word, I guess. What I meant was, does the philosopher look too hard at something that simply isn't there? I mean, really, Sarty as flauner?
                        You are positing that being the subject of critical analysis makes one inherently more worthy or maybe that engaging in certain type of activities (art, philosophy) make one inherently more worthy. Lots of bad artists out there and I don't see how it ennobles them.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                          You are positing that being the subject of critical analysis makes one inherently more worthy or maybe that engaging in certain type of activities (art, philosophy) make one inherently more worthy. Lots of bad artists out there and I don't see how it ennobles them.
                          No, I am positing that one person imagining what another one is doing, while he's doing nothing of the sort might lead to incorrect analysis. For example, Sarty taking pictures of people in front of fashion shows so he can be a famous blogger and make money does not make him a flaneur.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                            • Sep 2006

^i think you're taking the figure of the flaneur too literally.
                            it's less a historic person than an analytical concept, I believe. it exists because of, and through analysis.

I don't know that the flaneur concept suits (ha ha) sarty's activities, but it's a problem of fit, not over analysis.
                            ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• PoubelleMaBelle
                              • Feb 2012

ultimately i don't think you can see it as incorrect analysis. intent of opinion doesn't matter if it's not perceived / understood. & so who cares if it's 'incorrect' as long as it's interesting & well-reasoned. cf. doxa...
                              -----

Comment

• Fuuma
                                • Sep 2006

Everything is permitted but nothing is possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎