X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddohnggo
    • Oct 2006

not really what i'm listening to, but time lag just found this:

VARIOUS ARTIST ~ BY THE FRUITS YOU SHALL KNOW THE ROOTS ~ 3lp (ECLIPSE/TIME-LAG 020-022) $65.00
    at long last this spilt label, triple lp monster is unleashed... a hexagonal wonderama of otherworldly sides from some of the most brilliant musicians/groups working in the underground psychedelic folk/blues realm, elegantly dressed in a 2 sided 6 panel foldout poster of bacchanalian design. a fabulous document of tone and album art containing some of the best exploratory compositions captured in beautiful fidelity... featuring a full lp side each from: SIX ORGANS OF ADMITTANCE, JACK ROSE, MATT VALENTINE & ERIKA ELDER with CHRIS CORSANO, DREDD FOOLE, FURSAXA, and JOSHUA with KEMIALLSET YSTÃVÃT... packaged in a full color, fabric textured, triple gatefold cover, that unfolds to reveal a huge 25" by 37" poster. mind seed planted by ben chasny, cover art and design by erika elder, label artwork by joshua burkett, poster art by nemo, fable by matt valentine, and printed by clint simonson of destijl. limited edition of 1000 copies.

i have it, but i don't remember it being that expensive.
    Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• destroyed
      • Nov 2006

^ Have you heard the Helena Espvall/Masoki Batoh record?

I am guessing it is something you'd be into. Helena is such a talented cellist, I never heard her sing until this record. They do some Swedish folk songs on the record, along with some contemplative instrumental numbers. I have had the good fortune to play with her a number of times as I was filling in on bass on some project, and she is a true artist.
      broken mirror, white terror

Comment

• ddohnggo
        • Oct 2006

i haven't heard, but i'll check it out. i saw ghost once a while ago and they were great. wasn't batoh playing with boris last tour or is he still doing it? or am i thinking of someone else?

Comment

• destroyed
          • Nov 2006

i saw ghost i think 3 times and they have all been mindblowing. i communicated with batoh after a show, via gestures, that is, an emphatic thumbs up (that was reciprocated).

you are thinking of Kurihara with Boris.

espvall, btw, plays with ESPERS, and i've seen her with the Baird sisters.

Comment

• ddohnggo
            • Oct 2006

snap. espers was dope live. the singer dude is a skinny emo jokester

Comment

• maldoror
              • Jun 2007

^ greg weeks? one of the more prominent people in that particular philly music scene. espers is fantastic, live and on record. currently listening to another local:

jack rose - opium music

Comment

• ddohnggo
                • Oct 2006

jack rose is sickness. i saw that dude open up for michael (something, guy plays flamenco music now). so so sick. i'm bummed i didn't buy that cd on archive records a while ago.

Comment

• destroyed
                  • Nov 2006

you in philly, too, maldoror?

jack rose is a gem. however, he usually sends me running to my john fahey records. not fair, i know, but i tend to like drinking from the source.

Comment

• maldoror
                    • Jun 2007

no, that's absolutely fair. I used to do the same thing until I had a roommate guitarist who played mainly in a post-fahey vein and, by way of constant practicing, got me really tuned in to the intricacies of the form. this is not to say that anyone's doing it better than fahey did (they're almost certainly not), but rather that people are doing it differently, so that fahey's music and rose's music are not simply interchangeable for me.

and yeah, I grew up in center city, and as of yet have been unable to fully escape.

Comment

• destroyed
                      • Nov 2006

i had the good fortune of seeing JF at the troc in the season just before his death. of course, people talked over him, but still, it would not be an overstatement that the night altered the way i listen to music in some essential way.

also at the troc, i saw Larry Brown, the former guitarist for Need New Body, do Fahey's Lion with great... uh... ferocity. whatever happened to him, i wonder.

Comment

• qnc.hst
                        • Oct 2007

Yeah, I caught Jack Rose (never Fahey, boo hoo) on tour 1-2 years ago with a couple other dudes I cannot remember at present. It was an awesome show.

The post Fahey maelstrom is kind of an odd 'genre' to me, in that sometimes I just wanna 'drink from the source' and everything else sounds like a derivative or at best heavily influenced with some seemingly arbitrary novelty to try and differentiate, and sometimes that 'novelty' seems indeed refreshing and totally legit, a desire to expand the language. I'm happy not to ever make up my mind and sway back and forth as mood dictates, occassionally stashing my Sandy Bull lps to let the desire recharge and sometimes just wanting to spin down some James Blackshaw.

That said, for some reason it's been a looooooong time since I've felt the need to hear Six Organs. Not sure why.

NP: Kevin Failure of Pink Reason spinning some INSANE Siberian punk/diy shit on Brian Turner's show, WFMU. I'm gonna be revisiting this archive in the future, I can tell.
                        I think they're easily the number one punk item.

Comment

• maldoror
                          • Jun 2007

can't believe you saw fahey live. musicians have told me it's the closest they've come to a religious experience.

edit: and parallel to this discussion, I recently picked up loren connors - the moon last night.

Comment

• destroyed
                            • Nov 2006

^ religious experience? i would say it was more like seeing santa claus in the flesh. truly, he did look like kris kringle: white beard, red socks, red t-shirt, and suspenders, if memory serves, and it rarely does!

i later learned that he was living in his car during his twilight years, and that thought is very, very depressing.

Comment

• maldoror
                              • Jun 2007

if I saw santa claus in the flesh, I would have a religious experience.

Comment

• doldrums
                                • Dec 2008

on the fahey tip, I actually really like james blackshaw. So young and already so good, sky is the limit...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎