Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddohnggo
    • Oct 2006

i have the storm and stress record and thought it was kind of blah. i should check it out again.
    Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• destroyed
      • Nov 2006

i liked both records a lot. they are very different, the first reflecting what they sound like live a lot more, the second is more of a studio album (with jim o'rourke sonic trickery). i saw them three or four times, the first time was one of their earliest shows, and the last time was while they were promoting their last record----seeing them live really illuminates their records. the last time i saw them they opened for sea and cake, and they just undid my head so that i couldn't even hear sea and cake's set.
      broken mirror, white terror

Comment

• ddohnggo
        • Oct 2006

i've heard some stories about them live. didn't the drummer play with one of the guitarists in antioch arrow - coptic light?

i remember the final don cab tour (with ian) and it was great. the original opening band called pizza (lolwut) was kicked off the bill because the dudes in don cab wanted to do solo sets. the bassist did some laptop shit, ian did this fantastic comedy set and che did some cockrock bullshit.
        Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• destroyed
          • Nov 2006

i can imagine ian's comedy set involved pregnant silences, awkward pauses, and histrionic ellipses...

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
            • Nov 2008

i'm gonna second this one...they were one of my favorite bands back when i was in high school/college and aside from lungfish, were a key band in changing my views on music. i set up a show with them, a minor forest and trans am back in 96 - and i just remember being blown away that first time i saw them. it really had a huge impact on me and i eventually saw storm and stress no less than 20 times...i was a bit obsessive.

but yeah, listen to their first record...totally fractured and broken beauty...still holds up really well.

Originally posted by destroyed View Post
            why does everyone gloss over Storm and Stress in don cab/battles discussions? they had a great live show and their studio recordings were more adventurous than don cab or battles.

Comment

• casem
              • Sep 2006

Thanks for the list, you mentioned many composers I'm not even familiar with.

I didn't know of the Romian spectralists. I've been acquainting myself with the work of Tristan Murail, supposedly the father of spectral music, because he's the main man at Columbia which I'm trying to get into.

I'll add that if you like Penderecki you should also check out Ligeti's orchestral pieces. I believe they were both mining similar territory, writing completely textural music for orchestra with some scary scary results. Threnody freaks me the f**ck out.

Also, if you want to go to the roots of using non-traditional sound sources (noise) for musical material, you must know Pierre Schaeffer.

I'm also a huge fan of La Monte Young. If you like drone music you should check him out.

Originally posted by klangspiel View Post
              too many to mention but for starters, here are some names / pieces / collectives to look out for.

pretty much anything by iancu dumitrescu. you want bleak and dark, dumitrescu's the man. his fellow romanian "spectralist", horatiu radulescu is definitely worth a look too. such an underrated composer. of course, you can't namedrop a bunch of romanians and not mention iannis xenakis.

cornelius cardew's scratch orchestra. prominent scratch orchestra
              member and great composer in his own right, howard skempton's lento (about 13 mins of mournful desolation) - easily one of my favourite pieces from the 60s onwards.

hermann nitsch's orchestral works. nitsch is probably less known for his music than his art but omg, this man can do no wrong in my books. you can find most of his releases on the label, organ of corti.

eliane radigue
              's naldjorlak. radigue's better known as an electronic music composer with seminal pieces of "drone" credited to her name, much in the same vein as, say, phil niblock. but she's recently moved into compositions for acoustic instruments - naldjorlak was composed for solo cello.

the old polish master, krzysztof penderecki - threnody for the victims of hiroshima, de natura sonoris 1 & 2, anaklasis, etc..

the german collective / ensemble, zeitkratzer. here's them with haino. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqzCFpQ-LF0

everything by jani christou, charlemagne palestine, some morton feldman, some helmut lachenmann, the list is endless...
              music

Comment

• doldrums
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
                ...Also, if you want to go to the roots of using non-traditional sound sources (noise) for musical material, you must know Pierre Schaeffer. I'm also a huge fan of La Monte Young. If you like drone music you should check him out.
                Now yer talking. Nice to know there is an overlap between your studies in classical and mine in sound.

Comment

• D_S
                  • Jul 2008

Yo Yo Ma

Out of my fucking brain

Comment

• kira
                    • Mar 2008

Another Random Playlist

One to One Religion- Bomb the Bass
                    Sugar Hiccup- Cockteau Twins
                    Everybody Knows- Concrete Blonde
                    We Could Be Heros- Wallflowers Version
                    Never Stops- Deerhunter
                    Enjoy the Silence- Depeche Mode
                    Season of the Witch- Donovan
                    Last edited by kira; 12-17-2008, 11:25 PM.
                    Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• recherché
                      • Dec 2008

last ten songs on itunes.....!

Aphex Twins - Window Licker

Ghostland Observatory - Stranger Lover

Grace Jones - Warm Leatherette

Neon Neon - I lust U

Fischerspooner - The best revenge

She wants revenge - What I want

Pom Pom Diary - Fit for fun

Takka Takka - Silence

Sebastian Tellier - Kilometer

David Bowie - Ashes to Ashes
                      I have the death sentence on twelve systems.

Comment

• Brother Stasi
                        • Feb 2008

Get Outta My Head - Ashlee Simpson (in a Pugh Dress...)

The Sun ain't Sinning No more - The Asteroid Galaxy Tour

Ode to a Prostitute - The Bastard Fairies

A Lotta Faith in This Product - Everthus and the deadbeats

Feel'n Chicken - Ohgr

IamUndernoDisguise - School of Seven Bells

Comment

• Johnny
                          • Sep 2006

in my head, "Crazy in Love", imagining FtB doing a Beyonce inspired butt shakin cyber lap dance dressed in gareth pugh with massive hoop earings

Comment

• Fade to Black
                            • Sep 2008

oh boyyy...Johnny that's not a good image.

i can do the rump shake, but not B-style. Tryin to think of who I dance like...imagine some lame Pharrell type one hand in pocket body wave two step thingy where my hips gyrate punctuated by the occasional puff off a cigarette staring at some imaginary latina's hips and bottom because the asian one standin there is non existent as far as THATTAGOES.
                            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Johnny
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                              oh boyyy...Johnny that's not a good image.
                              yip, tell me about it.

Comment

• destroyed
                                • Nov 2006

can you make your ass clap?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢