X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TypicalFashion
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hamletpowpowpow View Post
    definitely my favorite out of all of soma's projects.
    i loved burning witch - at least the ASVA split, which is fucking awesome, but i never saw the appeal of Khanate.... all i can think about was that terrible cheesey/rose/blood/face closeup video on the Hydra Head EP guh.

Comment

• TypicalFashion
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ddohnggo View Post
      i saw born dead icons once. they smelled. end of story.

damn, 12 hour turn, nostalgia. if i remember correctly, i saw them once with true north a while back as well.
      i hate how you constantly talk about the amazing shows you went to haha. makes me remember when i was in highschool and i'd go to 2 shows a year that i had to drive 6 hours to see. once i drove 8 hours to see Shai Hulud. sadly thats my best "show story" from time forgotton...

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
        • Nov 2008

i'd say "Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice" is maybe some of the best the genre has to offer, for sure. it's a bit more introspective than most black metal records, i think. also, the ep that followed, "kenose" is also killer...maybe even better. their riffs are just obtuse and weird...almost seasick sounding at times.
        and speaking of sea sick sounding...the last leviathan record is also pretty damn good. by far his best.

if yr looking for black metal that "rocks" - go for their labelmates, watain. their last record "sworn to the dark" is fucking sick. maybe the first black metal driving record.
        a friend of mine who is writing a book on the us black metal scene named it his record of the year in 2007. it's damn good, for sho'.

re: khanate. give em a chance. and for chrissakes - ignore the video. alan, their singer is a video editor...it's all his fault. but don't write them off just because they happened to have one of the most god awful videos of all time. really - give them time...it'll reveal itself.

ok. stop responding to my posts...i need to go back into exile. i've got work to do, dammit. deadlines, looming.

Originally posted by TypicalFashion View Post
        I've always steered clear, when i hear that a bunch of hardcore / punk knuckleheads love them, despite critical praise. what record should i check out? its very blackmetal/rock right? like Craft?

i loved burning witch - at least the ASVA split, which is fucking awesome, but i never saw the appeal of Khanate.... all i can think about was that terrible cheesey/rose/blood/face closeup video on the Hydra Head EP guh.

Comment

• ddohnggo
          • Oct 2006

my friend saw watain at the knitting factory with book of black earth and krallice. he said watain was good. i think 1349 or whatever is playing in nyc soonish as well.
          Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
            • Nov 2008

yeah, i saw 1349 last time they were around - so good, except their normal drummer, frost wasn't with them. i'm hoping he's able to tour this time, as he's fucking sick.

i'm ashamed tho...at one point they asked the crowd to "show us the sign of the devil...show us the horns"...at which point everyone in the crowd gave the horns...except for my friend and i as we were too busy laughing our asses off.

but laughing with them...not at them.

also - krallice - much better live than on record. i know you dig the old gravity stuff, ddohnggo - live, it's way more post-hardcore. the record just doesn't capture them.

my friend saw watain at the knitting factory with book of black earth and krallice. he said watain was good. i think 1349 or whatever is playing in nyc soonish as well.

Comment

• TypicalFashion
              • Mar 2007

that would be nice, i wanted to see them in LA when i lived there but the show sold out while i was in line. heard the dude slashed his forehead open. that was at shitty safari sams. so instead i walked to the music box and saw billy bragg. hah.

Comment

• TypicalFashion
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hamletpowpowpow View Post
                yeah, i saw 1349 last time they were around - so good, except their normal drummer, frost wasn't with them. i'm hoping he's able to tour this time, as he's fucking sick.
                dont count on it! dudes wanted for rape!

EDIT: thats someone else from satyricon i think..

"Frost is barred from entering the U.S. due to a previous immigration dispute."
                Official site of record label Elektra Music Group: Elektra Records, Fueled By Ramen, Roadrunner, Low Country Sound, Black Cement, Public Consumption, DTA Records

Comment

• Originally posted by ddohnggo View Post
                  i saw born dead icons once. they smelled. end of story.

damn, 12 hour turn, nostalgia. if i remember correctly, i saw them once with true north a while back as well.
                  didn't some of the dudes from 12ht become true north? i don't think they toured together, i think it was true north / i hate myself.

Comment

• TypicalFashion
                    • Mar 2007

i loved the red scare half (and all their work) of the truenorth split, not a big fan of true north though (jeez, i sound like such a hater on here now)

Comment

• ddohnggo
                      • Oct 2006

they shared members. i remember the tour. it was a 12 hr turn and true north tour back in 2000. btw, palatka >>>>>>>>>>> both 12 hr turn and true north
                      Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
                        • Nov 2008

once again we have successfully derailed this thread by nerding out on post hardcore and related genres.

edited, for being a pompous ass. back to self imposed exile.

Comment

• osn19
                          • Feb 2007

"Have a Nice Life - Deathconsciousness".
                          Originally posted by blacksuit
                          wow .. ccp bag is more better than guidi bag?

Comment

• Magician
                            • Jul 2008

Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

• Originally posted by hamletpowpowpow View Post
                              once again we have successfully derailed this thread by nerding out on post hardcore and related genres.

edited, for being a pompous ass. back to self imposed exile.
                              quick someone do a "np: sleepytime trio" so he comes back.

Comment

• black horizons
                                • Jan 2008

Floridian Screamo rears its head.... True North was never that good, they were ok. Palatka was a blatant San Diego rip, with an attempt at "substance" as their cover up. I still like the LP though, it is fun. Anyone remember End of the Century Party?

I must go check out that new Khanate now, been sitting on that. I agree, Khanate >>>>>>>>>!!! Sunn. Less so with Burning Witch though. Got to see Khanate live, it was brilliant.
                                www.black-horizons.com

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎