Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doldrums
    • Dec 2008

^ hell yes (and I also follow these ongoing hardcore discussions to some level).

BTW -loved faust's joke with the sublime insertion. Brilliant -> would be kinda like throwing one of the WTF pics (like the yohji bra that i saw sometime ago) into the CCP thread and then watch the mayhem ensue .

Comment

• Servo2000
      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by hamletpowpowpow View Post
      re: providence rock. it's a mixed bag, now that i'm going through it again. all that stuff was much better live and never really translated well to record, with the exception of 6fs, who were just an anomaly back in the day...they were the worst selling band on subpop at the time, but were the label owners favorite band on their roster. i was in a band that was on subpop for a while, and we were supposed to record w/ 6fs and i was freaking out.
      Probably one of the top few bands that always makes me go "I can't believe you got to see those guys!"

I know you were lamenting the lack of Juan but have you seen The Juan Maclean? I can easily imagine it not being your thing but I've seen them several times over the past couple of years and they're pretty fucking fantastic and they just kept getting better everytime I saw them. Looks like Juans down to just doing DJ tours which is sort of whatever - I've downloaded a few live sets and they're pretty quality but I wouldn't go out of my way to see him.

also LOL @ Sublime. Living in San Diego it gets pretty brutal with that sort of thing. Merz might be lamenting from similiar experience.
      WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Servo2000
        • Oct 2006

No doubt - it's definitely just about impossible these days to avoid hearing at least one Sublime / Slightly Stoopid song on at least a daily basis. We appear to be in a peak period of nostalgia for that sort of thing.

I imagine the scene now hardly touches on what it was when you were around (if I'm getting my time periods correct) but there's enough ambitious and intrigued kids down here still that it's possible be a part of something with excited people. It's not world changing, but it's a fairly close-knit scene.

Comment

• doldrums
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Servo2000 View Post
          No doubt - it's definitely just about impossible these days to avoid hearing at least one Sublime / Slightly Stoopid song on at least a daily basis. We appear to be in a peak period of nostalgia for that sort of thing/rubbish.
          Sorry to stick my 2 cents in but GODDAMN this is the truth. Every city I visit seems to have a radio station stuck in that time period of "alternative" music that is easily the worst music ever. Mostly never-in-touch "Gen-X" DJs throwing a song from that era of utter radio shit (insert any of those bands) and trying to pass it off like the song is still any good to my non-middle school ears and then trying to act like it was some glory period of music.

ugh...

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
            • Nov 2008

heh. but for a time, san diego did have the coolest scene in the world...like, circa 89-95. the post gravity years (aka, the spock rock years - swing kids, red scare, locust, any band with justin pearson) doesn't really do it for me. but when i was 16, gravity was the secret handshake.

take the self righteousness of the dc scene...and then put everyone on speed an/or heroin, and you have heroin, antioch arrow and clikatat ikatowi. the mid 90's answer to the birthday party, and it was fucking beautiful.

also, i dont know the guy, but i don't think faust was joking about the sublime. i really, really hope he wasn't...i'll like him a lot more if he was being sincere with that post.

edit: i'm totally lying, btw. i have all those swing kids, red scare and locust records.

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
              • Nov 2008

case in point - san diego in all it's drug fueled, fucked up genius glory:

man. mario rubalcaba...jeeeeeez.

but that clikatat ep...still one of my top 10 records of all time.

and slightly less drug addled:

Comment

• Servo2000
                • Oct 2006

Good post. Good post. It's funny (although I could be wrong) but it seems that the only people I ever hear really lamenting the disappearance of stuff like Drive Like Jehu et all is a couple of the guys on FM 94.9 these days - hardly any of the kids seem to into it (other than a group of guys I'm really close with who do some good stuff) but even they're much too aestheticized / intellectual about it (they're composition majors, of course). Too much math rock and not enough fucked up.

Comment

• black horizons
                  • Jan 2008

Yes! He is even doing the moaning shit in that second clip! I LOVE clikitat, favorite San Diego band. Singer has such a terrible haircut, and I still have a spockish cut.

Heard the Demo? Best material, more raw and aggressive.
                  www.black-horizons.com

Comment

• ddohnggo
                    • Oct 2006

crash worship lolwut
                    Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
                      • Nov 2008

cheers. can't take any credit for it...in the 90's, san diego was unfuckwithable.

edit: yeah, i have the clikatat demos...great stuff. and crash worship. how the fuck could i talk about san diego and drugs and not mention crash worship? heh. i have a friend who was in that band...when i asked him what he played...he said "oh, you know. i did the pig's blood and wine".

edit again: re: drive like jehu - you sure about that? those dudes are held up on a mighty high pedestal.

Originally posted by Servo2000 View Post
                      Good post. Good post.
                      Last edited by hamletpowpowpow; 01-31-2009, 01:40 AM.

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
                        • Nov 2008

re: new mountains release, and mountains mountains mountains lp -

their booking agent, front porch - just put up my favorite tracks from both records.

listen to "hive" and tell me it isn't one of the best tracks of the year.

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
                          • Nov 2008

i'll keep y'all posted if i hear of anything. they've never been a heavy touring outfit. curious to see if being signed to thrill jockey changes that. i do know they're already hard at work on their next record. regardless, they deserve all the good press they've been getting on this...my favorite being pitchfork's redaction of their review of sewn.

i dunno, those two mountains tracks are way better than anything on the last fennesz. and no, i'm not biased.

Originally posted by merz
                          neighbours likely wondering right about now what that slab of noise waking them up might be. thanks for the heads-up, already pre-ordered the new record.

front porch site mentions them going on tour in the next couple of months. would like to catch a show, though i reckon the chances of them passing through here are slim to none.

Comment

• mumma
                            • Oct 2008

btw mountains, the history of apestaartje is over?
                            their last release comes from year or two ago...

listening to the crystal stills, and i am quite surprised,
                            it's a very good record ;-) i mean, sure it's not original
                            at all, but somehow they write very good songs.
                            they gonna play on next thursday here in vienna,
                            so will see. and then wavves on 14th! ;)
                            LOUPEON — archival fashion project.
                            Web store focused on collectible garments from avant-garde European designers.
                            www.loupeon.com

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
                              • Nov 2008

*not* liking the nation of ulysses will get you shot...!

because there's one rule in this town, that you should know by now...! a kid who tells on another kid is a dead kid!

if yr gonna go off, say why... so we all know what to write on yr tombstone!

heh heh.

Comment

• ddohnggo
                                • Oct 2006

Witching hour records. Lolwut
                                Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢