Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddohnggo
    • Oct 2006

lulz at union of uranus. i'll raise you one eyed god prophecy.
    Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• klangspiel
      • Apr 2007

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
        • Nov 2008

heh. i can't beat that, but i can throw down an ottawa/jihad split.

q: plux quba - good call. dunno why i never worked that into an episode...

Originally posted by ddohnggo View Post
        lulz at union of uranus. i'll raise you one eyed god prophecy.

Comment

• skecr8r_l8r
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by corsair sanglot
          catherine ribeiro + alpes - paix
          an r. stevie moore compilation
          minimal man - sex teacher (are the other records this good!?)
          i was like "that isn't a minimal man track" and then i find out that you arent talking about eon. back to not knowing most of the gloomy / synth / drone / industrial / hardcore you guys think match your aesthetic 8)

Comment

• qnc.hst
            • Oct 2007

I gotta snag more of that obscure tape music... series. Like what I've got, but I've been on a strict vinyl tip of late (note that this didn't start due to fetishistic purposes but simply because I had no functional CD player in my home stereo. It has since continued, *ahem*, due mostly to *cough* fetishistic purposes that have become somewhat ingrained) and only the Toshi Ichiyanagi volume got released as vinyl, as far as I know. Speaking of which, I will raise you a...

I think they're easily the number one punk item.

Comment

• Vanna
              • May 2008

James Brown: Take Some Leave Some.
              Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• deleuze
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by rilu
                on the other hand, there is this designer-scene, which brings out some really interesting and new stuff. however, i hardly see any political statements in it. the most it reached is some vague gender-bending, or some anti-establishment statements which ironically come out in crazy high prices
                Oh please, Margiela was more political than Fugazi ever dreamed to be. Go back to reading Adbusters.

Comment

• Jon
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by deleuze View Post
                  Oh please, Margiela was more political than Fugazi ever dreamed to be. Go back to reading Adbusters.
                  Mega-burn.

To add: in general, I'd be leaning towards stating that fashion has certainly not been living up to it's potential to make a political critique for quite some time.... To me it seems that this potential/responsibility has been shirked by designers en masse in preference for something more personal...

PPS: rilu, nice avatar
                  Originally posted by merz
                  perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• ddohnggo
                    • Oct 2006

-

Comment

• Magician
                      • Jul 2008

Art is uniquely valuable for raising questions, not for giving answers. The best producers of art or music address issues but do not offer easy solutions; art gets to play in the the abstract. A discipline of not eating meat, protesting the world bank and eating organic is wonderful but it is neither high art nor high intellect. As vibrant and vital early punk and hardcore may have been, it's great contribution was to the cultural landscape, not the intellectual one.

there may be appropriate musical analogs for avant garde designers, but it will not be found in punk or related genres.

Full disclosure: I am a vegetarian with most every record Ian McKaye has ever put out.
                      Last edited by Magician; 04-17-2009, 04:41 PM.
                      Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

• munch
                        • Aug 2008

Union of Uranus - to this the bearer of truth

Comment

• Magician
                          • Jul 2008

SZ, I consider myself a pretty cultured motherfucker, but I have never heard of a majority of the music that gets posted here. In response I have made up a list of post-hardcore band names so I can feel cool too.

If one of these is a real post-hardcore band, I shall consider this an Epic Win and award myself one internet.

"his soft golden hands"
                          "riot without tears"
                          "lokoburgess" (early Gravity tapes)
                          "ascent mantle"
                          "crucifix for benjamin"
                          "tekpolitik"
                          "screaming witchhunt"
                          "heatcrime"
                          "SILVER SILVER"
                          "malik" (12'' split with roardown)
                          "court authority"
                          "bledbathbled"
                          "crydriver"
                          "lately borne"

(I'm not entirely convinced that ddohngo, hamlet et al, dont just do the same thing.)
                          Last edited by Magician; 04-17-2009, 04:50 PM.
                          Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

• casem
                            • Sep 2006

Philip Glass Metamorphosis.

I saw him in concert at my Alma Mater two days ago and got to meet the man himself at a workshop yesterday! He asked me about my work and what I do and I said "I guess it's post-minimalism" and he said "that's what I do too." I'm on cloud 9, I gave him a demo, hope he listens to it.
                            music

Comment

• deleuze
                              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by rilu
                              maybe we could even go as far as to say that the condition of possibility of any human act is the fact that it is political. cheers.
                              Maybe we could or maybe Foucault already has . . .

I'm with Magician on this one as you seem to be interested in the artist's biography and the means of production moreso than the actual work produced. I'm sorry but Douglas Pearce's oeuvre has far more impact than the frivolity of Ian MacKaye. MacKaye might have been every screaming emo and sexually frustrated straight edge suburban kid's mouthpiece but Douglas Pearce fuckin' ripped through sonic convention. Who gives a shit if he was a flamin' neo-Nazi? Sure I wouldn't turn to him for some great political insight but neither would I turn to MacKaye. Most of these hardcore bands were to "punks" what Soulja Boy is to douchy clubbers. And it's not like the lyrical content of these bands were anything revolutionary, I mean groups like Gang of Four and The Sound were doing it better years prior.

The anti-establishment youth movement in the eary 90's is an interesting study and yes it was political but in only in the most naive sense. Passing over Marx on the bookshelf because he used the word dictatorship and lived a bourgeois life in favor of Hakim Bey (whose writings on Sufi mysticism are much more interesting than those on the TAZ) or John Zerzan is laughable. Maybe this fluff represents the bankruptcy of the movement but that might also be unfair in the same way that it would be unfair to critique the political content of high fashion because it operates within a capitalist context. If the answer is for designers to form collectives and only price items based on some equation of materials/labor cost, etc. and make overt political references on the garments then I would seriously fear for the future of fashion. I'm not saying that this can't be done well but doing it just for political reasons does not imbue the garments with some magical meaning.

Seriously you would have been better off coming here as others have done before with PETA on your shoulder and dissing the community for their indulgences when people are starving in the streets than presenting this trite argument that high fashion lacks political content because the shit is expensive.

Comment

• ddohnggo
                                • Oct 2006

You're a philosophy major, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎