Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maldoror
    • Jun 2007

gave rose pillar a listen, and then another, and I've got to admit that I don't understand the criticisms being leveled against it here. I'm really into the angelo badalamenti meets tetsuo the iron man ost ambient-industrial sound and wouldn't/couldn't confuse it with anything else I've heard, prurient or otherwise. curious about what other albums peepz think render it redundant, because I'd like to search them out.

Comment

• Aleks
      • Feb 2009

Went to the Animal Collective concert in Vancouver last night, it was absolutely wonderful.

Comment

• BeauIXI
        • Nov 2008

Fuckin' full time job.
        Originally posted by philip nod
        somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• mumma
          • Oct 2008

last magik markers album from drag city is absolutely wonderful.
          and ben klock one in a terms of referring to a classic techno is pretty strong. by the way techno scene, i was checking some villalobos shows on youtube, and then laughing when i saw him in an ann demeulemeester tee ;-)

oh and chain & the gang, death's reissue from drag c, last phoenix, rick wade intelligence ep, and stl "silent state" from smallville is pretty amazing too.
          LOUPEON — archival fashion project.
          Web store focused on collectible garments from avant-garde European designers.
          www.loupeon.com

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
            • Nov 2008

I like how two of us not being all that into rose pillar has been made into a mob of prurient haters.
            By my count there are way more of you digging the record than the two of us who aren't all that stoked on it. And I don't even hate it, or dislike it - i just think it's "alright"

I don't know that I'd describe rose pillar as redundant - but if you enjoy it, you should really check out some of it's predecessors - wold's "screech owl", the last few kevin drumm records, pita's "get out" or his more recent "music for g.v." album under his real name, peter rehberg. maybe also some of the more ambient burzum records or even abruptum.

i think rose pillar is real sincere - i think dom means the hell out of what he does, and i love that. it's just that i think the other records i mentioned hit it a bit harder for my tastes.

Originally posted by maldoror View Post
            gave rose pillar a listen, and then another, and I've got to admit that I don't understand the criticisms being leveled against it here. I'm really into the angelo badalamenti meets tetsuo the iron man ost ambient-industrial sound and wouldn't/couldn't confuse it with anything else I've heard, prurient or otherwise. curious about what other albums peepz think render it redundant, because I'd like to search them out.
            Last edited by hamletpowpowpow; 05-25-2009, 09:41 PM.

Comment

• maldoror
              • Jun 2007

fair enough / to each their own.

btw just listened through the forboding/drift episode of roadside picnic and enjoyed the hell out of it. thanks for putting amocoma on my radar. looking forward to working my way through the rest of the series.
              Last edited by maldoror; 05-26-2009, 12:49 AM.

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
                • Nov 2008

cool man, glad you dug the Amocoma track - I should have mentioned that in the above -Rose Pillar list...it's easy to find now, as Tumult just reissued it. But yeah, when that record came out, I was spinning it regularly. It's definitely one of those black metal records that appeal to ambient folk. If yr digging that, definitely check out Wold - it's the same thing - just way more brutal. I think there might have been a track from them on that episode as well.

Originally posted by maldoror View Post
                fair enough / to each their own.

btw just listened through the forboding/drift episode of roadside picnic and enjoyed the hell out of it. thanks for putting amocoma on my radar. looking forward to working my way through the rest of the series.

Comment

• skecr8r_l8r
                  • Apr 2007

emeralds - allegory of allegories
                  eddie gale - ghetto music
                  linda perhacs - parallelograms

Comment

• ddohnggo
                    • Oct 2006

can someone holla at me with a link to amocoma record on tumult?
                    Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• maldoror
                      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by hamletpowpowpow View Post
                      cool man, glad you dug the Amocoma track - I should have mentioned that in the above -Rose Pillar list...it's easy to find now, as Tumult just reissued it. But yeah, when that record came out, I was spinning it regularly. It's definitely one of those black metal records that appeal to ambient folk. If yr digging that, definitely check out Wold - it's the same thing - just way more brutal. I think there might have been a track from them on that episode as well.
                      dude, I know wold. screech owl has been blowing my mind (and blowing up the blogosphere) since day one. why amocoma has by contrast remained so relatively obscure is a complete mystery to me. shit is sick.

not to beat a dead horse here, but fwiw the central element I see as setting rose pillar apart from wold and the other albums you named (fairly categorized similar albums) is the way the noise aspects tempers the ambient + industrial core rather than vice versa. track 2 in particular pegs this awesomely sinister without being abrasive sound. I'll give you that the recent kevin drumm/prurient colab flirts with a similar sonic model, but for the most part the abrasive aspect is central to both of their projects (with the obvious exception of imperial distortion, which goes its own drone direction entirely)

weirdly enough, despite owning a bunch of shit on editions mego and having seen ktl twice, I haven't listened to much of rehberg's solo work. seeking it out presently.

Originally posted by skecr8r_l8r View Post
                      linda perhacs - parallelograms
                      chimacum rain is a damn near perfect song.

Comment

• ddohnggo
                        • Oct 2006

i saw rehberg live once and it sucked.

Comment

• maldoror
                          • Jun 2007

that's shitty.

ktl slayed, although rehberg got seriously pissed at the philly show last summer because the lighting guy was projecting this itunes visualizer laserpalooza in his eyes (not for long...)

Comment

• ddohnggo
                            • Oct 2006

i paid $15 to see him wank around on his laptop for 45 minutes. alan licht played before hand and it sucked ass as well. i was going to see rehberg play again in boston, but didn't make it. glad i did cuz, his laptop supposedly broke 15 minutes into the set. lulz.

btw, where can i dl amocoma?

Comment

• maldoror
                              • Jun 2007

I couldn't find it for download, so I just ordered the reissue. I'll rip you a copy when it gets here.

Comment

• maldoror
                                • Jun 2007

for sure

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡