Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hamletpowpowpow
    • Nov 2008

Nate - Re: Wold v Aomocoma - I can only assume it's because when Aomocoma first dropped it was in a real limited edition CDR. As you know, Wold's been around for a bit longer and has been on a fairly high profile BM label. Tumult is well known, so maybe they'll start getting the attention they deserve. It's a really amazing release - one of my favorites of last year.
    I have no clue about how keyed into this stuff the blogosphere/general public are - are people really apeshit about Wold? If so, that's kind of rad. The impression I got is that noise people weren't all that into them ,and that it was too noisey/bm for most ambient kids.

Re: Rose Pillar - Sure - I don't disagree.
    We're definitely beating a dead horse - a very nerdy dead horse.
    You seem really irked about this (and wold) - or am I just reading you wrong?

Re: Wittr tonight...does anyone know the order of the bands? I'd like to see krallice, but wouldn't mind missing storm of light.

Originally posted by maldoror View Post
    dude, I know wold. screech owl has been blowing my mind (and blowing up the blogosphere) since day one. why amocoma has by contrast remained so relatively obscure is a complete mystery to me. shit is sick.

not to beat a dead horse here, but fwiw the central element I see as setting rose pillar apart from wold and the other albums you named (fairly categorized similar albums) is the way the noise aspects tempers the ambient + industrial core rather than vice versa. track 2 in particular pegs this awesomely sinister without being abrasive sound. I'll give you that the recent kevin drumm/prurient colab flirts with a similar sonic model, but for the most part the abrasive aspect is central to both of their projects (with the obvious exception of imperial distortion, which goes its own drone direction entirely)

weirdly enough, despite owning a bunch of shit on editions mego and having seen ktl twice, I haven't listened to much of rehberg's solo work. seeking it out presently.

chimacum rain is a damn near perfect song.

Comment

• ddohnggo
      • Oct 2006

i think this is it
      amocoma http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HZAXGFJ2

i just listened to wold. not sure if it's my cup of tea. it's near unlistenable.

joshua, krallice goes on first at 7:45. i'll be there.
      Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• maldoror
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by hamletpowpowpow View Post
        Nate - Re: Wold v Aomocoma - I can only assume it's because when Aomocoma first dropped it was in a real limited edition CDR. As you know, Wold's been around for a bit longer and has been on a fairly high profile BM label. Tumult is well known, so maybe they'll start getting the attention they deserve. It's a really amazing release - one of my favorites of last year.
        I have no clue about how keyed into this stuff the blogosphere/general public are - are people really apeshit about Wold? If so, that's kind of rad. The impression I got is that noise people weren't all that into them ,and that it was too noisey/bm for most ambient kids.

Re: Rose Pillar - Sure - I don't disagree.
        We're definitely beating a dead horse - a very nerdy dead horse.
        You seem really irked about this (and wold) - or am I just reading you wrong?

Re: Wittr tonight...does anyone know the order of the bands? I'd like to see krallice, but wouldn't mind missing storm of light.

just reading wrong, not irked at all.

quite enjoying it actually. I only have one music nerd friend in real life who's even remotely interested in this kind of music, so it's a true pleasure getting to discuss all this shit here, especially with people significantly more knowledgeable than myself. sorry if I come off otherwise, it's definitely not my intention.

re wold: they seem to have been best received, or at least most widely discussed, in a straight black metal context. makes sense as I'd probably describe the music as noise for BM heads, a concept which concretely addresses the lo fi roots of the genre.

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
          • Nov 2008

Nate: Cool - as with most things internet, it's real easy to misunderstand people. Besides, if there's anyone to get annoyed with, it's clearly Q - he's the one who hates prurient ;)

And no, I'm loving the conversation here. I usually avoid web-boards like the plague, but I really enjoy everyone's opinions and thoughts around these parts.

Joey: Despite having thrown my back out (again) - I'll be there. Might end up skipping krallice if that means I have to see Storm of Light though...

Also - Gas, Friday! This will either be sublime...or really, really dull.

Originally posted by maldoror View Post
          just reading wrong, not irked at all.

quite enjoying it actually. I only have one music nerd friend in real life who's even remotely interested in this kind of music, so it's a true pleasure getting to discuss all this shit here, especially with people significantly more knowledgeable than myself. sorry if I come off otherwise, it's definitely not my intention.

re wold: they seem to have been best received, or at least most widely discussed, in a straight black metal context. makes sense as I'd probably describe the music as noise for BM heads, a concept which concretely addresses the lo fi roots of the genre.

Comment

• prahsneb
            • May 2009

rose pillar

just bought rose pillar by prurient. cant wait to get my hands on it, looks wonderful, sounds good to.

Comment

• osn19
              • Feb 2007

The new Sunn((O))

Sounds like they've finally reached the sound and musical easthetics they were after for all these years. Impressive.
              Originally posted by blacksuit
              wow .. ccp bag is more better than guidi bag?

Comment

• ddohnggo
                • Oct 2006

krallice - s/t

webster hall studio is probably one of the loudest places ever. krallice was so brutal and loud. wolves was pretty killer too, but i think they were upstaged by krallice.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

does anybody here listen to jazz here? Kimiko Itoh, Diana Krall et al?

Can't be loud and noisy all the time right?

I'm always on the lookout for new female jazz singers to kick it to.
                  www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Chinorlz
                    • Sep 2006

So admittedly I have to google/youtube about 80% of the bands/groups people mention here. The genre's that I dont quite "get" are these drone bands and dudes like Prurient.

Can someone break it down for me? Total novice here but I just don't understand even what the hell is going on when I'm watching a clip of a Prurient performance.
                    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• doldrums
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ddohnggo View Post
                      i paid $15 to see him wank around on his laptop for 45 minutes....
                      In a former life a solid decade ago, I made music. I remember playing with EDITpeople I used to think were the shtEDIT and shows were still boring. I was goddamn embarrased for myself at the end of every show i played and tried to justify the guilt of twiddling/noodling around with max/msp/reaktor in so many ways but really at the end of the day couldn't and havent looked back or been to a laptop show since...end reflection.
                      Last edited by doldrums; 05-27-2009, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• ddohnggo
                        • Oct 2006

what was your name as a laptop artist? i normally enjoy laptop sets, but it's something you have to pull of well. keith, who lived down the street from me in boston, puts on a great show, imo, and is able to create interesting compositions with his max/msp patch. greg davis was also dope when i saw him using a slew of instruments as sound sources, which was really cool. pita just played his csounds/max-msp/whatever patch and just played white noise for 45 minutes. boring.

i think the first time i saw tim hecker was probably the best laptop set i ever saw.

Comment

• doldrums
                          • Dec 2008

what was your name as a laptop artist? i normally enjoy laptop sets, but it's something you have to pull of well. keith, who lived down the street from me in boston, puts on a great show, imo, and is able to create interesting compositions with his max/msp patch. greg davis was also dope when i saw him using a slew of instruments as sound sources, which was really cool. pita just played his csounds/max-msp/whatever patch and just played white noise for 45 minutes. boring.

i think the first time i saw tim hecker was probably the best laptop set i ever saw.
                          i'll pm you the name of the label i was with if interested - not that i did anything remotely interesting or substantial, it was a fun time. the label lost all steam when the abstract beats/"id...m..." thing went down...

Yea - I should edit those artists out of my post because they do interesting things. I just remember feeling incredibly bored at laptop shows in general. I remember seeing autechre once when they first delved into more abstract stuff around confield i think maybe and it was actually pretting good...i closed my eyes. i still have listen to some greg davis from time to time but it is almost twee compared to other stuff discussed here.

BTW - i think hrvatski is a genius though i havent really thought of him in quite some time. its weird...a long time ago, jim o'rourke carried this weight in my head when my tastes fit that stuff. then hrvatski took over for me for a short time. i dont really have anything like that now.

Comment

• ddohnggo
                            • Oct 2006

generally laptop shows are a miss. but when they're good, they're really good. i was at the confield tour/show as well. around 2001, right? i saw them with matmos and russell haswell, who was mixing black metal and other stuff, which was cool. autechre blew me away as well. shit was so dense and abstract, but really awesome.

keith retired the whole hrvatski thing from what i know. i know he was super meticulous with each and every song and it took him forever to put those songs together. did jim o'rourke do break beat stuff like hrvatski? one a side note, that mego release that jim o'rourke did that was just re-released is also fucking great.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                              So admittedly I have to google/youtube about 80% of the bands/groups people mention here. The genre's that I dont quite "get" are these drone bands and dudes like Prurient.

Can someone break it down for me? Total novice here but I just don't understand even what the hell is going on when I'm watching a clip of a Prurient performance.
                              Same. I blame joey and merz.
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
                                • Nov 2008

I second this - when I think back to the best shows I've ever seen - a lot of them were laptop artists.

Pan Sonic, Tim Hecker, Fennesz, Alva noto - all people with shit stage presence. But some of their early shows were some of the most sonically, and *physically* engaging performances I've ever seen. You just closed your eyes - and it was a completely overwhelming experience. Pan Sonic played a lot of "rock" shows and completely upstaged all of the bands they opened up for (Trans Am, Suicide).

Sadly - I've seen all of the above mentioned artists in recent days and none of them have matched those more memorable experiences. The closest I've come lately is with Sunn o)))...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎